a newby

suelester48

I have used "angel cards" with a friend in the past. I also have a cousin that has much experience with tarot cards which has really sparked my interest in learning more. My first goal is to find a newby friendly deck so I can lean. Also, can you tell me, what is one of the fist things you learned about the cards that sparked your interest?
thanks!

canid

What angel cards were they? I like Sulamith Wulfing's. My interest was sparked by my grandma, way back in the '70's. Back then there weren't very many decks to choose from; I'd suggest you browse thru the 'cards' area here at AT - I'm sure you'll see something that trips your trigger.

Welcome!

Wonder

hi and welcome to AT! I was having a reading done by someone and was asking a lot of queastions, and the next thing i know, she sent me a tarot deck to learn with! That's how I got started, and now I am loving it.

The deck I started with is great, but impossible to get, so I would reccomend the Hanson Roberts cuz that's another great beginner deck to learn with!

Good luck

BeyondtheVeil

Welcome suelester48

Welcome to the AT Forum suelester48! This is a great site full of helpful information and friendly supportive people.

I really connect to my deck, The New Palladini Tarot. I have had fun learning Tarot with it. When I started feeling comfortable with readings and the cards, I am now buying more! :laugh: It seems that buying decks are addictive! I didn't realize before joining this site just how many different Tarot and Oracle decks there are.

I think what got me interested was that my best friend took me to her psychic/tarot reader friend. I loved how accurate she was. I am pretty sure that the deck she used is like the deck I have. That is actually why I wanted 'this" deck. It is now my deck and one that I can get pretty good readings with. {Well what a newbie can get without ever reading before}. lol

Just jump right in and have fun! :)
BeyondtheVeil

Astraea Aurora

Welcome to AT suelester48!

What deck we use is a very personal decision, more so when it comes to your *very first* deck. Just like canid said, browse through the deck section and see which deck appeals to you. Take your time. I think, you really can't go wrong with a Rider-Waite-Smith deck or clone thereof because that's what the majority is using and you'll find that most books about tarot are written with the RWS in mind.

This is a list of RWS clones. However, these are what I call the "close clones", the ones that are mostly redrawing of the RWS. There are still other decks out there that clearly have RWS in mind but don't follow it too closely artistically - Hanson-Roberts, Pictorial Key, Connolly, Anna K., Aquarian, New Palladini, Fenestra, Halloween, Tarot of the Dead, Morgan Greer, Robin Wood, Russian Tarot of St. Petersburg, Vanessa, Bohemian Gothic, Victorian Romantic.

Anyway, have fun browsing for your deck! I'm looking forward to your posts.

Astraea Aurora :grin:

Alta

Hi suelester and welcome.

Newbies start with a variety of decks but the easiest ones are the clearest and most readily accessible. The ones I see most often are the Hanson-Roberts, Sharmon-Casselli and the Rider deck itself. But, feel free to browse the Decks section and also read comments by others here.

Best,
Alta

Alta

Moderator note:

Hi all,

This thread was moved over from New Members because of the questions. We decided that (if she likes) suelester could post her question on beginner decks in the Decks Forum but if anyone wants to answer her other question
Also, can you tell me, what is one of the fist things you learned about the cards that sparked your interest?
that this was the right place.

All the best,
Alta
co-Moderator, Talking tarot

kisou

In addition to all the suggestions others made, I do have to encourage you to not be intimidated by the more unusual decks if that's what you pick to be your first deck! I started out the The Tarot of the Spirit deck and while it wasn't particularly traditional and left a lot to the imagination, it was really good for my artist spirit ;D So even if it doesn't look "easy"- don't be afraid to try it!!

As for one of the first things I learned about the cards that sparked my interest was... no matter how many different ways I tried and retried to rephrase a burning question and read on it... my cards would still give me the answer I most needed to know. Frustrating and liberating at the same time!

"I want an answer!"
"Not until you pay attention!!"

Grizabella

You have a PM. I think a certain A. Nonny Mouse here can help you out with this. Look in the Games and Fun forum to find the information on A. Nonny Mouse. Here's the link: http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=107838 The Divine Miss Mouse has surprises going out this week so you're just in time. :)

olivia1

suelester48 said:
Also, can you tell me, what is one of the fist things you learned about the cards that sparked your interest?
thanks!

I wanted to learn to read tarot cards because I thought that, if I learned how, I could predict the future and be able to read what people are thinking. After learning to read, I realized that even cards cant really tell you all the time what's going to happen.