How do you keep 'em coming back?

3crows

I'm running my first 2-week tarot class out of my home. I've done them before- through recreation departments, continuing education classes- but they've always been a four-week class. And they usually drop out one by one, and by the fourth class, I'm sometimes left with half the amount I started with. this is probably because I haven't figured out to keep them coming back. I suppose its like a good chapter- they'll keep reading your book if you get them excited and hooked.

so any advice on how to run a 2-week session (thursday evenings, 6-8pm, that sort of thing)? It's only two classes, and its working with intuitive tarot- so I don't want to discuss traditional meanings this time around. What can I do in the first class, or say- that will get them back for the second class? Or what should I actually DO in the second class that would be a blast, or fun, or at least warm and fuzzy? Any Ideas?
thanks, all!

AJ

How much did it cost?
Not that it probably matters but when folks have made an investment sometimes that will get them in their seats.

One of the yoga classes I go to usually has about 40 sign up/paid ups.
I've never seen more than 18 people in class. That is a $40.00 fee

When I went to beauty college there were 34 students in the first class.
only 3 of us graduated, only 2 of us got our license, and I'm the only one who worked as a beautician... so go figure. And that was a huge whack of money for those students to walk out on.

Maybe people just hate being committed to something?
I'd love to take your class...

Just musing for whatever it's worth.

nisaba

Don't get them to pay on a class-by-class basis - get them to pay for the whole course ahead of time. People hate losing money, for some reason, when they're quite okay with losing information. Screwed priorities.

Disa

I agree with Nisaba. I just finished a series of courses where we had to pay up front for 6 weeks- everyone came every time unless they were sick or something. Then, we all signed up again for another 6 weeks, paid ahead for that, too. Now that it's over, we're all dying for her to teach something else ;)

3crows

oops, that's my first mistake

thanks! I forgot about that aspect of it. usually I do have them pay for everything up front, but this time I am doing it class by class- and it's very inexpensive because people are having trouble financially- so I figured offer a class affordable to all. but you are right, I should have asked them all to pay up front.

Knowing that, I'll have to resort to getting them back because I have something informative and enjoyable to offer! Anybody recommend good exercises, or fun intuitive tarot warm-ups to do? what do you include in your classes?

AJ

Promise treats.
People will come to anything if they know they will get free food.
Once they get in the door your great information will keep them there.

214red

3crows said:
Knowing that, I'll have to resort to getting them back because I have something informative and enjoyable to offer! Anybody recommend good exercises, or fun intuitive tarot warm-ups to do? what do you include in your classes?

do something that makes your classes unique, that people cant get anywhere else, and sometimes its just your teaching style that will have people coming back.

i agree with the others, there isnt any commitment without payment. also you likely charge less because your overheads are less so they are already getting a bargain

Rev_Vesta

Hi...You really got me thinking....

I taught a 15 week Self-development class, just 10 students 2 hrs every tuesday I got them to pay $150 upfront for resevervations making each session $10 per session instead of $15 per session.....and everyone turned up to every session......(I was pleased....)

I included a meditation after each session of learning and included 15 min discussion with tea/coffee and biscuits...... found it worked really well.....

I wonder if that would help after the Tarot session........

You could try 15 mins of Tarot Charades........hilarious......

or yes/no questions only, randomly place a tarot major on each persons back at start of lesson.....where they can not see the card....then during a 10 min session each person is allowed to ask just 10 questions to see if they know which card is on them......it creates much laughter.......

Also I find everyone loves an Oracle deck......I normally choose one deck i don't work with and each person chooses a card they can take home after a partner looks at the pic/and single word/sentence on card and expands it into a reading for the person who chose the card......

Also if you can get bulk crystal tumblers that can be put in a small pouch and given to each student can get them to come back..........

are you creative.....make each student a crystal pendulum, or key ring or chakra charm........anything to keep the student interested....

hope these help............

Vesta