Stones with negative properties?

thinbuddha

Eh?

Not everything can be beneficial........ right?

Just looking around at various sites that give the properties of stones, I noticed that nothing seems to have any negative properties.... how can that be?

Just to invent an example, for the sake of discussion: If stones actually have properties, doesn't it follow that there would be stones that are good at promoting mental clarity, but have a negative impact on digestion...?

celticnoodle

yes, i agree with you. i do recall seeing somewhere, (website? book? can't recall now!) the negative side to some crystals as well as the positive.

one i can recall off the top of my head is citrine. citrine, among other good properties, is suppose to help you acquire wealth. it is recommended to put citrine either in your wallet, or a place where you throw your spare change to encourage the wealth to accumulate. however, too much citrine is also bad--as it can bring about greed--and end up working against you, thus you'll end up losing money carelessly.

it must be true of other crystals and gemstones and herbs too. i'll see if i can find it again.

TractJM

I think the potential risks may lie in taking on the good properties of a stone but being wasteful with them; it's been believed the stones have been formed with the vibration of their purpose to bring about the healing, change and spiritual guidance/growth that their users seek. That said, perhaps it is possible that while you may have a potential to incur a negative property as a result of mis-use, maybe they were created in mind solely for the healing and growth of spiritual seekers? It would be interesting to study and investigate; to see what if any reactions HAVE occured. I had read once that some people don't respond well to the vibrations of stones; though I don't have that information readily available presently to investigate the claim :(

thinbuddha

I guess where I am comming from is that I am skeptical that there really are benefits that stones gift us with by mere proximity. When I read the supposed benefits of stones, it all blends together as one big "It's good for you and will fix your life!". It seems like a sales pitch for snake oil.

I have no doubt that actually working with stones- using them as an object of meditation, for example, has very real and beneficial results, but I speculate that this has more to do with psychological processes than it does with metaphysical processes. As for the benefits of having a crystal in a box under your bed, I am highly skeptical that this offers anything more than placebo effect to health, earning ability or whatever other powers a stone supposedly has.

My question in the original post was a little rhetorical; something to get others wondering if there really is any sort of benefit that mere contact or proximity can pass to us.

It's entirely possible that I am a slave to science; that my brain is limited by scientific thinking. I am, after all, a product of the times and places where I have spent my life. Scientists would tell us that there isn't a possibility that these stones hold any sort of powers. But then again there was a day when critical thinking would have discounted the possibility that there could be a rock that could make you sick by mere proximity- even if it were sealed in an air tight container. But we all know that radioactive materials such as uranium can be harmful to us, even under such conditions. Uranium is cursed as if by magic. Perhaps there is some energy that remains elusive to science that can bless us in a way similar to the curse of uranium?

I am certain that several people will say this is so. And I will probably remain skeptical.

thorhammer

I don't work intensively with crystals, myself, but have had some seriously awe-inspiring experiences with them. I have very positive feelings about, for example, selenite and epidote, of which I have quite a few pieces.

On the other hand, stones that "everybody" loves, like labradorite and smoky quartz, give me the creeping willies. Labradorite sort of makes me feel crosseyed, and makes my skin crawl. It confuses and distresses me. Smoky quartz kind of makes me feel held down and paralysed, mentally and physically.

So in very non-rhetorical answer to your question, yes, I think that stones have bad qualities. But I also feel that wholesale pushing of crystals as healing entities has gone beyond a joke, and people need to take back their own power about the use of them. You need to find out what a stone does for you. Which hit me rather hard when someone recommended labradorite for me for some bloody thing, and I ended up worse than before.

\m/ Kat

Chronata

I too believe that there must be a few negatives in all the possitives. It only makes sense to my duality nature.

And I have had a few personal experiences with a few stones (some specific pieces and some general) that were not all good.

But then I can also associate the negative reactions/sensitivities with challenges...that maybe they enhance certain attributes that make me look at my self in a new way.

For instance...I really don't get along well with amethyst. It messes up my sleep patterns,makes me grumpy, pushes my buttons in a similar way that Sagitarians do. Some people love it, but it has me reacting in negative ways, and then I have to look at the shadow side of myself and figure out why I feel the way I do, and that's the challenge.
Suddenly, the negative is turning into a positive.
(though I still refuse to sleep with them anywhere in the room.)

yaraluna

what I have learned working with crystals is that they all have inherent properties according to their vibrational field.
However, when it comes to "positive" or "negative" vibrations, it is in the hand of the crystal holder. Crystals are tools and beings that assist us in working with different aspects of ourselves and the world we have created around us. To place full responsibility in a crystal is...well, irresponsible.
the "negative" aspect of the crystal itself comes from the overuse of those qualities, as well as how that crystal works with our own vibrational field. just because it is a crystal, it doesn't mean that it is good for you. As in Chronata's example, amethyst does not work for her; the stone actually enhances the lesser qualities of her physical and emotional self patterns.
That is why, it doesn't matter what the crystal "books" say, or that crystal guru says about this particular crystal, or how to use crystals. ultimately, the crystals are here to work with you as an individual being that has individual needs. for example, the well known "yellow crystal for your solar plexus chakra" teaching may not hold true for you and your Self. follow your intuitive self when working with crystals. perhaps that area of your body needs a blue or a yellow crystal. whichever it is, follow your own intuition and personal dialogue with the crystals.

may this be of help

yara

Wonderwoman

What Yara Said

This holds very true for me! In my experience, I have been healed by Rose Quartz, more so than by any other stone. It brought transcendental, loving changes in my life. I cannot say the same about the other stones though, I have tried several others and no response as of yet.

Ww

Rev_Vesta

I have worked extensively with Crystals for clients and have found each client to be individual when recommending which crystal to work with..... what works for one may not work for another........ it is about the vibrations within connecting to the crystal.........

It is very similar as working within Homeopathic remedies...... it is about looking at each person as a whole..... on a Body, Mind and Spirit level......

Inreagrds to crystals with chakras........depending on the issue related to which colour or type of crystals would be benefiicial.......Does it need to be stimulated or calmed down........ to bring it into balance.......?

to over stimulate a chakra can cause upset to the vibrations within the body.....

trust your intuition when working with crystals........or work with a Trained Crystal Therapist......

Vesta