How much detail do you ask for from a client before reading?

intuition897

I sometimes just feel overwhelmed and intimidated by the vast array of possible interpretations of a spread. Does that Pentacle card stand for health? Finances? Domestic management? WHAT? I think to myself, "If only I could ask them for more detail..." and then I answer myself (yes, I answer myself), "You CAN'T ask them for more detail, stupid, otherwise it doesn't count."

I'd like to get some opinions on this. I'm guessing there are at least two camps of thought on this. One camp says that it's not a "pure" reading if you hear the details, and the other camp says that the whole point of using the cards is to help the client...and you get a much clearer picture when you know the context of the question.

What do you think about this? If you're a professional reader, or if you read for others, which feels more right to you: to ask, or not to ask? I heard someone liken it to going to a doctor and then asking the doctor to guess your symptoms. I don't think that would be as productive as getting the list of symptoms, then making observations, and then pulling together a comprehensive diagnosis. Any thoughts?

Wendywu

Usually I don't ask, I just read. As we go along sometimes there's feedback as to what things might relate to. Sometimes I get reams of details I could well live without, and have to work with the client to find out what the question should best be framed as. It depends entirely on the client and which way they seem to want to go.

I have one girl I read for who doesn't react at all, in any way, through the whole reading and doesn't say anything. Then at the end when I ask her if she feels the reading had relevance and helped in any way she just looks at me and says "You know it did", then she smiles, pays and leaves.......

It's hard to generalise.....

On the whole I prefer just to read and not get the cluttery stuff from the client beforehand. They have such a biased view - which is why they're sat there in the first place :)

Then again, when someone's come for a reading about a specific situation it can be helpful to know what it is....

I dunno - I read for the client in the way that best suits that client that day .. it could be the same client next month and a different style of reading altogether...

Not much help, I know. Sorry.

Pao

so does this means you dont ask for an area they want to focus on? some people want to know about specific things, should I just start reading without asking them what they want to know about then? (ex. love, work) I'd hate for them to leave unhappy like "who cares about my love life I want to know about my job" :bugeyed:

Wendywu

I usually start by asking if they have anything specific they'd like me to read on and, if so, we crack on with working out the question. If they look helpless and don't know (which happens more than you'd think) we start with a general reading, so that we can define an area of focus for the more detailed spread that follows...

There's usually a chance for a "what the cards want to draw to your attention" reading as well - these can be very useful for the sitter who can't focus on a particular area of life because most of their life is a horror story at the moment .....

It's very much focussed on the sitter and what they want - not how I want to read ....

Alta

I ask if they have a specific area. If not, I throw a few cards and let the cards select the area. If they seem interested, I stay on those lines.

Apollonia

I tell my clients that they can give any amount of detail they wish, or no information at all. I find it helpful to at least have an idea of what area of life the reading is about, but I know that is more for my comfort level than for the accuracy of the reading.

Umbrae

just my opinion​

I I give the sitter the option of providing me with the area of interest, and the question. They may keep it to themselves if they wish.

I unfold the spread, reading the cards as I go, and facilitate their involvement.

I do not want to know the backstory or ideally even the subject during the first time through the cards. I allow the cards to do the talking.

Then, after the words are out of my mouth, we can then disucss the backstory and subject and explore how it all relates to what I’ve already provided them.

I have found that the cards tend to dig beneath the surface of their wants, and address root causes and needs just fine all by themselves.

Your mileage may vary…

Dancing Bear

intuition897 said:
I sometimes just feel overwhelmed and intimidated by the vast array of possible interpretations of a spread. Does that Pentacle card stand for health? Finances? Domestic management? WHAT? I think to myself, "If only I could ask them for more detail..." and then I answer myself (yes, I answer myself), "You CAN'T ask them for more detail, stupid, otherwise it doesn't count."

I'd like to get some opinions on this. I'm guessing there are at least two camps of thought on this. One camp says that it's not a "pure" reading if you hear the details, and the other camp says that the whole point of using the cards is to help the client...and you get a much clearer picture when you know the context of the question.

What do you think about this? If you're a professional reader, or if you read for others, which feels more right to you: to ask, or not to ask? I heard someone liken it to going to a doctor and then asking the doctor to guess your symptoms. I don't think that would be as productive as getting the list of symptoms, then making observations, and then pulling together a comprehensive diagnosis. Any thoughts?

I ask for no information at all.. allowing the spread to unfold by itself..
like others you may get feedback and sometimes you dont ( which is rare)
Normally they will let you know what it pertains to.. or whether it fits..

nisaba

Umbrae said:
I I give the sitter the option of providing me with the area of interest, and the question. They may keep it to themselves if they wish.

I unfold the spread, reading the cards as I go, and facilitate their involvement.

I do not want to know the backstory or ideally even the subject during the first time through the cards. I allow the cards to do the talking.

Then, after the words are out of my mouth, we can then disucss the backstory and subject and explore how it all relates to what I’ve already provided them.
Woah! How creepy! That is *exactly* how I read! When I've done my first work-through, I tend to ask them how that bounces off their experience of their life, and point out that if they are prepared to tell me what it reminds them off, I may be able to get more depth out of the cards. And away we go, doing the review.

I don't read for spirits, though <grin>.

Sinduction

I read that way as well. After each card I usually ask, "Does that make sense in relation to your situation?" or something like that. I prefer to know as little as possible. They can just say "love life" and I just say what I see. I also try to get them repeat back what I've said so I know they are getting what I said and not what they think I said.

I've found that if I know too much, my logical mind finds the answer and not the cards. But, whatever works for you. :D