Whole Day of Speed Reading - Help?

Wendywu

It is Jeans for Genes day soon (I don't know if "abroad" has that - wear your jeans to work all day and pay the charity for the privilege lol - equally if you don't wear your jeans to work you have to pay a fine.... win-win for the charity). I work in a small firm which shares a building with a large firm, and we get involved with all their stuff like that and they are very hot on this particular charity.

I have agreed to spend that day doing 10 minute readings. I am booking the day as a day's holiday and then going to the office and travelling from desk to desk doing the readings, all payment going to the Jeans for Genes Appeal.

Now - I normally do pre-booked, relaxed, take-your-time readings. I've never read on a speed basis. How many cards do I draw? Do I gloss over, do I say exactly what I see even if it leaves some poor soul hanging in mid-air? Anyone got any advice? I've never read for a whole 8 hour day..... and whilst I'm looking forward to it and know I can handle it, the practicalities are what I need to consider. There are a lot of them to read for and even if only half of them have a reading (and they will, since payment goes to charity - I know this lot) - I'm gonna have a very busy day.

nisaba

<grin> I'd get a sealed money-tin and write "donations only" on the side of it.

I'd also wander from deck to desk, as you said, but I wouldn't be looking to prevent a person from doing work for too long. I'd look at one-card pulls for a donation, and I'd give them a business-card, and if they have any issues that need more depth and detail, I'd offer a reading in private time, half of your usual fee going to Jeans for Genes since you came by the business through fund-raising for them.

Alternatively, you might make it known before the day whether you'd be prepared to stay back after close of business if someone wants a longer reading.

Wendywu

I'm gonna hit the bosses first! They won't mind the staff taking 10 minutes on a charity day - they usually match whatever is raised as their own donation :)

I like the give a business card with half price offers - I'll do that. I won't stay behind - I normally only work part time and staying all day is gonna be a long day for me (and it's my son's birthday... he's 20 - where did the years go?). I'm excited but lack experience of this kind of reading ..

nisaba

Wendywu said:
I like the give a business card with half price offers -
<in a hurry> Nonono, not half price - full price, but 50% of it to go to Genes for Jeans for Jean.

Wendywu

Aha - I see the difference! I will write on the back of some business cards ready to give out. I'm going to do the sticky on the tin thing too - that way I can't make change :D

Do you think I can fulfil all their fantasies about tarot and wear swirling fringed scarfs and lots of (fake) gold jewellery - I have a fantastic set of red and green fake huge stones in fake gold. Goddess knows where I got it and why but I've never worn it. I could have a great time.....

nisaba

Wendywu said:
Do you think I can fulfil all their fantasies about tarot and wear swirling fringed scarfs and lots of (fake) gold jewellery - I have a fantastic set of red and green fake huge stones in fake gold. Goddess knows where I got it and why but I've never worn it. I could have a great time.....
(First Thought) Hell, yeah!

(Second Thought) Wait a minute - how professional do you need to be the rest of the year? Is this going to damage your work-cred?

(Third Thought) If they are shallow enough to think less of how you work because of your out-of-work interests, then they deserve all they get - hell yeah!

Wendywu

Hey I am an uber-professional trust bod at work usually .. and lots of the girls consult me as a tarotista so they know I'm not usually Madam Whosis. The sarcastic eejits can go home a laugh their socks off at me.

We do have our own belly dance group (who wear the right clothes), rowing club, running club, cricket team, footie team etc etc - we are very family minded :) so we are used to each other as people and not just co-workers.

I'm gonna do it :)

214red

good luck with the genes for jeans day, i would consider doing it for work instead of baking cakes for sale.

I would suggest 1 or 3 cards, depending on the q, sometimes you need a past present and future. i do my readings quite quickly, so depends what you can get through in 10 mins.
also think about work people not wanting you to know much about their life, i would keep it really light, dont demean it but also be careful what you read on and repercussions ("yes you will get promoted above so and so"...this can backfire).
I would give all the money to the charity ,but since you had to take a day off then you should get compensated.

i always said if i did a fair i would dress up in full african dress to fulfil the idea of a reader:) my peeps at work are used to my tarot reading, and to behonest there is more interest if i wear a dress in the office then me reading tarot

Wendywu

I don't want to get compensated at all - it's only if they want a private reading that I shall split 50:50 with the charity - all the 10 minute money will go to the Appeal.

I like the cake bakers provide they include something that the diabetics can munch - so often there are three of us at work forlornly eyeing up the goodies.....

OK then - fancy dress (just as well it's a day off for me - imagine seeing a client dressed like that :D) - skim over a 3 carder and give them a business card. Grab the money first! No change given....

214red

Wendywu said:
I don't want to get compensated at all - it's only if they want a private reading that I shall split 50:50 with the charity - all the 10 minute money will go to the Appeal.

I like the cake bakers provide they include something that the diabetics can munch - so often there are three of us at work forlornly eyeing up the goodies.....
i personally wouldnt get dressed up, but its for charity so perhaps put their logo on.

i have a banana cake that i used to make for diabetics, because my granddad was one so i make sure i cater for all. i also have flourfree ones etc to cover all bases.
enjoy it, keep it light