Whose reading to trust?

olivia1

Is there already a thread for this? If so, can someone please direct me to it? I have a problem in that I never know whether to trust my friend's readings for me or not. She always gives me such bad news and everyone else gives me such positive news. She's 50/50 on accuracy but think that's pretty good. What I don't get is why she consistently gives me readings so different from everyone else. Could it be that she is just picking up on the actual energy and everyone else is just reading what I want them to read? No, I dont ask the same questions over and over again. I do ask my question around the same subjects, though. It's uncanny and I wonder if anyone else has experienced this when having a close friend read for them?

ETA: sometimes I wonder if she is able to pick up my negative thoughts/worries because she is so close to me. It never fails, she always tells me what I secretly think is my worst case scenario. Or maybe she knows my life too well that she isn't very objective.

Nevada

Life is made up of both good and bad news. Maybe she catches the negative stuff that others are afraid to look at. The question might be, have her readings turned out to be accurate in the past?

Maybe a good test, just to make sure you're not fulfilling the bad news because it impacts and influences you, is to have her write down her readings, seal them up, and only read them later. Do this for a few readings, and open them later to see if they came true, or how those situations turned out. I think you and she would have to work out the time frames -- or include a time frame in your questions, such as how will this situation develop over the coming week -- something like that.

You could have your other friends do the same.

olivia1

Nevada said:
Life is made up of both good and bad news. Maybe she catches the negative stuff that others are afraid to look at. The question might be, have her readings turned out to be accurate in the past?
Kind of. She is not very good with reading present situations but her prediction readings have came true some of the times (which is much better than my predictive readings)!

Nevada said:
Maybe a good test, just to make sure you're not fulfilling the bad news because it impacts and influences you, is to have her write down her readings, seal them up, and only read them later. Do this for a few readings, and open them later to see if they came true, or how those situations turned out. I think you and she would have to work out the time frames -- or include a time frame in your questions, such as how will this situation develop over the coming week -- something like that.

You could have your other friends do the same.

That's a good idea. I have a question though. Is it possible that I just pull the happy cards because subconsciously I want to protect myself? And that I am influencing readers who don't know me that well?

ETA:never mind. I don't know why I bother with her. she psycho analyzes me. And I am partly to blame because rather than just giving her the question, I give her the whole background and how I feel about the situation.

Wendywu

It sounds as though your friend is forcing the cards to fit the situation that she knows about, rather than reading what the cards say whether or not what they say seems to be relevant to the situation.... (I have a feeling I could have said that more clearly - read it slowly lol)

It's easy to do that because it feels safe. It's harder to ignore what you know and say exactly what you see in the cards (although phrasing kindly and gently if the what you have to say isn't perhaps what the sitter would want to hear).

Also - is the advice she offers from her, or from the cards she has drawn? Huge difference ...

TractJM

I can believe that; I have difficulty reading for myself unless I am totally objective and I can't read very well for my closer friends due to emotions (I am still learning to stay objective) colouring my judgement; yet I can sit here or anywhere else, take a stranger, and hit them with a reading that makes sense to them. I think if you allow your fear, judgements or objections to interfere with what's coming down, you can withdraw from it out of fear and create what sounds safe, maybe an unconscious/subconscious way of protecting YOU by making it sound worse, without realizing it, so you'd be more careful.

Amary

I have a lot of trouble reading for close friends, for a couple reasons: I have opinions about the things that are happening in their lives, and I assume a lot when it comes to them. I've actually started having them focus on their questions without telling me what they are while I shuffle- they can tell me what the question is after, if they choose to. My readings have gotten a LOT more accurate . Maybe you could try that?

olivia1

Wendywu said:
It sounds as though your friend is forcing the cards to fit the situation that she knows about, rather than reading what the cards say whether or not what they say seems to be relevant to the situation.... (I have a feeling I could have said that more clearly - read it slowly lol)

It's easy to do that because it feels safe. It's harder to ignore what you know and say exactly what you see in the cards (although phrasing kindly and gently if the what you have to say isn't perhaps what the sitter would want to hear).

Also - is the advice she offers from her, or from the cards she has drawn? Huge difference ...

Lol, I get you :) Yeah, I am beginning to think she is giving me advice, sometimes. It is just so frustrating because after she reads for me, I usually end up leaving feeling foolish and delusional and wondering how other readers (and I) came up with such positive readings about the situation, in the first place. I cant exactly discount her totally, though, because sometimes the bad stuff she says does come true.

But then, I am not being fair. Sometimes, she sees the positives when we all see the negative. Either way, her readings are almost always totally opposite of what everyone else gets. I just couldn't understand why until now. I think maybe I just put more stock into her reading because she is my friend.

jaled

How long have you been reading? I started Tarot this February.

BTW, is there any section to post polls? It would be great to get some statistics about differente questions, for instance, my initial question in this post.

"How long have you been reading?"
a) More than 10 years
b) 5-10 years ago
c)1-5 years ago
d) This year
e) I have not started

So, I choose d) :)

olivia1

TractJM said:
I can believe that; I have difficulty reading for myself unless I am totally objective and I can't read very well for my closer friends due to emotions (I am still learning to stay objective) colouring my judgement; yet I can sit here or anywhere else, take a stranger, and hit them with a reading that makes sense to them.

I think you got it right. See, I usually did prefer getting my readings from friends because I thought they were more in tuned with my energy (because they have absorbed it more). I am beginning to realize that I might have been mistaken and that I am better off going to strangers.

olivia1

Amary said:
I've actually started having them focus on their questions without telling me what they are while I shuffle- they can tell me what the question is after, if they choose to. My readings have gotten a LOT more accurate . Maybe you could try that?

I like that idea and will definitely try it.