Getting a reading that wasn't what you asked?

Amary

Last night, I was doing (or trying, anyway) a reading on my current situation. However, the cards didn't make any sense at all- and then I realized that they were all cards my best friend has been complaining about getting constantly, both when she reads for herself and when I read for her. (Not just one or two- 4 of cups reversed, Q of Pents reversed, Chariot, Hermit reversed, Queen of Swords, Judgement reversed, Knight of pents- almost the entire Celtic Cross.)

It seems fairly obvious that this was meant for her, and that it must be a fairly important message that she's not getting, and I did call her and tell her, "Um, I think I have a message for you..." but does this happen often? I wasn't even remotely thinking of her when I was shuffling, so it really took me by surprise.

Jaqueline

Well, at least you recognized it! Maybe the cards got tired of not getting through to her.

Marcia959

Honestly, this happens to me a lot. I consider it a message from the universe and write it down in my tarot journal. Depending on the reading, the friend, etc, I might call like you did. One thing to think about, too, is that the message for her may actually echo a message for you. It's possible that this message is more important for you right now than the one you were looking for.

Arania

Happens all the time. I got used to it and just do another reading after.

Mind

Wow, that's interesting... it must be your intuition drawing it in - like a psychic sense.

I am also new, but have noticed doing readings for friends and getting answers that only touch on the question, but give more information about a non-related topic (at least I hope it's not just me mis-interpreting!) Anyway, when I pass on the message, they all tell me that it makes sense and explains some other issue they never mentioned.

I guess we should try to pass on the messages as much as possible and not always sensor out what doesn't make sense to us

TractJM

That's very true. Some days I can't read for anyone for a few hours because I keep getting cards meant for me or someone else; and usually I get additional information I MUST tell them in addition to their request. If the situation impacts them and you can help them in some way - or if the situation also impacts you as well (perhaps you're involved - or you'll be there emotionally for them or in a perfect position to advise them), then I think the Universe will tend to override what you're asking for to mallet you on the head to listen :)

misfitknits

lol, this just happened to me, too! being a super-new reader, i was sure i was missing something, not reading the cards right. i waited 3 days to tell my friend (who the reading was for) and when i did, she's like "oh, yeah, that makes total sense". so it wasn't the answer to the question i was asking, but was obviously something the universe thought she needed to know.

as i'm so new, though, i'm sooo glad to hear that this happens to a number of other readers!!!

Taamar

Happens all the time. Reminds me of debt collectors: "So we're trying to track down a friend of yours and she's not responding. She put you down as a reference, could you contact her? (and we'll start bugging YOU if she doesn't get back to us, so apply some peer pressure!)"

SunChariot

I have never had my cards talk about anyone unless the question is about them. They only talk about the person who I ask about. BUT I have had them answer totally different questions than I ask. If they feel I need to know something, they will give me the info whether I ask or not. :grin:

I had the marriage card come up twice yesterday when I asked nothign about relationships. Although I am working on fixing a relationship in my life so I think the cards took it upon themselves to tell me that things were fixed and we were back to a future where we will marry again. They used to tell me that all the time, then stopped, now yesterday it came up twice, even when did not ask about that, so I think the universe just wants to tell me we are back on track. :grin:

They sometimes take it upon themselves to tell me something I did not ask, but only when I read for myself. And they always talk about the person I ask the question about.

Babs