Helps for Herbal Tarot?

hunter

I recently purchased the herbal tarot. I was able to view the book at a library today that allows viewing, but not borrowing, of out of print books. I really want the book badly but cannot afford it.

Amazon's cheapest price is $43.00 I don't understand why such a sought after book is out of print.

Any ideas on substitutes?

I guess I can try and see if the library will help me borrow it from out of state, so I can bring it home and scan it :-0 Or if I get desperate enough drag in my bulky scanner and laptop and stay for about 5 hours :)

Ooh visions of library theft :-(

So far every OOP or expensive book or deck that I've really wanted has made it's way to me, for an affordable price, when I've been patient.

I just really want this book and want it now :-(

I just want to make sure I'm not missing any resources that everyone knows about for this deck.

tigerlily

Can't you copy the book in the library? I did this with the big companion book of the Merlin Tarot, since it'll be forever oop and has crazy prices starting somwhere at $180.

Alta

I have a moderator sort of question. If you want to discuss the actual book with the tarot, I'll have to move this to Tarot Decks. But, if you are looking for good herb books that are less costly and cover the same range of herbs, I'll leave it here.

In fact I would be happy to have the answer to the second question myself, having recently acquired this lovely deck.

Alta

cardlady22

Isn't there an online version of Margaret Grieve's 2-volume A Modern Herbal? I remember seeing the books in a Dover catalog.

ETA: Has anyone got/used Michael Tierra's Planetary Herbology (1988)? The idea of cross-referencing from other cultures sounds interesting.

hunter

Alta said:
I have a moderator sort of question. If you want to discuss the actual book with the tarot, I'll have to move this to Tarot Decks. But, if you are looking for good herb books that are less costly and cover the same range of herbs, I'll leave it here. In fact I would be happy to have the answer to the second question myself, having recently acquired this lovely deck. Alta

Can't we do both in the same thread? I just want to be able to use my deck better. Do I have to split the topic into 2 threads in 2 different forums?

Alta

No, okay, go ahead then. I see your point.

I did a FetchBook search for you and could not find anything lower than $43 US dollars for the book, which is probably just a tiny paperback, discouraging.

What might be helpful could be some books, maybe in the Wiccan section of a bookstore, about the divinatory properties of herbs, as all of the cards give the proper name for the herb.

Alta

Sulis

I had The Herbal Tarot deck and book for a while and the book really was a very small paperback.
Maybe a generic herb book would do.
Scott Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs is very good and it deals with the magical properties of herbs as well as the medicinal ones: http://www.amazon.com/Cunninghams-E...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254501125&sr=8-4

Culpeper's Herbal is a classic herb book but with both of these books I'm not sure that the herbs used in the deck are listed though I'm sure some of them are.
An illustrated version: http://www.amazon.com/Culpepers-Com...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254501191&sr=1-2
And a modern, updated version: http://www.amazon.com/Culpepers-Com...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254501191&sr=1-1

tigerlily

I have no idea if his books are available in English, but do look for Wolf Dieter Storl. He's an ethnobotanist and his books are awesome!