Upset

Ann1

I'm Just a little upset today, because my parents don't understand my passion for tarot. They see my study as "course" and see it as "just a bounch of playing cards. I can't tell them, what people can do with the tarot and how it has changed my life. And that's what makes me sad. Does someone recognize this?

thanks a lot for reading this,
Annelies

Naneki

Unfortunately Annelies, you will probably come across this more than once. Some people don't understand other's "passions" and that's fine too so long as they are respectful as we all should be. Stay true to yourself and keep studying regardless of what anyone else thinks. That I think is the most important thing. Good luck!

olivia1

Ann1 said:
I'm Just a little upset today, because my parents don't understand my passion for tarot. They see my study as "course" and see it as "just a bounch of playing cards. I can't tell them, what people can do with the tarot and how it has changed my life. And that's what makes me sad. Does someone recognize this?

Annelies

I understand. My mom is the same way. She'll give me $$$ to buy books which teach you how to use Microsoft software applications but won't spare $15 to buy a tarot deck or $5 to buy used books on tarot. In fact, she's rather I go get my nails done than spend any money on anything that has to do with tarot. She just thinks there's better ways to spend money and more practical skills I could be learning.

emmsma

Unfortunately, this is common. For those not "into tarot", there are many who disapprove, don't understand, and even fear them.

YOU know what a wonderful tool they are for you, and how they have improved your life. You have all of us, here at AT, who understand and will support you.

So long as they aren't trying to prevent you from reading, you will have to learn to live without their support and encouragement.

Sorry. My folk don't understand either.

AJ

Hi Ann, and a big welcome to AT

I see by your profile you are in your 30's and it is a credit to your character to take into consideration your parents feelings. If you are living in their home then it behooves you to be discreet :) but if you are on your own, their opinion is really just that.

I'm in my 50's and have many passions, none of which were ever understood or encouraged by my mother. So I just don't share them with her. Beside the respect I owe her as my parent, I owe nothing and do as I please.

I am so thankful tarot fell into my life when it did, it helped me immensely thought a 3 year 'tower' event and has certainly made me a better person today than I was before tarot.

My mother has never seen let alone read the one of the 900+ posts on my tarot blog, and it is her loss. She might like me if she knew who I really am.

((hugs)))

SunChariot

Ann1 said:

Annelies
If the only reaction you got is that they don't understand the importance of it to you, you can consider yourself lucky. Both my Mom and my bf (my Dad passed on decades before I learnt Tarot) got furious with me. I got insulted all the time for my passion for it by the two people who should have been the closest to me. I got called stupid, insane...(in very loud angry voices) so many times by them both. Did not do my ego any good to get into these fights to try to convince them I am not insane for believing Tarot cards can work...never of course convincing them one inch.

I would have given anything to have just that indiffernt reaction instead of all the fury and disrespect I got. I think you're lucky. My Mom passed on too since then....My bf, he is on his way to becoming an ex because of it. He is violently opposed to anything spiritual. We try not to talk about it, but he still explodes over it once in a while. He is accepting it more since I have become a professional and he sees money coming in. He may not beleive in Tarot, but he does believe in money (sigh).

But I don't know if this helps, but hey things could always be worse. Mine was. You got met with misunderstanding, I got emotional abuse over it.(sigh)Maybe you can consider yourself lucky if that is the only reaction you got. I mean that in a positive way. :grin: I mean see your Cup as half full, not half empty. Instead of feeling sad they do not understand, maybe you can choose to look at it in a way that lets you be happy that they are not turning against you over it. Like they may not understand fully, but thankfully they did not turn against me over it...

Just my thoughts.

Babs

Nevada

Once you're grown up, I think that after a point it does no good to push any issue with parents too hard. They will disagree with some things. As a young person still under their authority, you had to be the one to bend to their rules. As an adult it's more a matter of just respecting them enough to let them have their opinion without trying too hard to change it, but still doing what you feel is right with your life. Once you're grown, it's most important that you approve of you and what you do. Remember, just because they don't understand something you like, or don't approve of every interest of yours, it doesn't mean they don't love you.

nisaba

Ann1, your love of Tarot doesn't have to touch everyone in your life. Do you share every love of every single one of your relatives and friends? No. Enjoy, be tactful around those who don't share your interest (ie, don't force unwanted readings on them), and everything will be good.

Ann1

Thanks for your reactions. It is true that, it is just "not understanding me". I know that they love me.

Most people in my life do know my Tarot thingy and most accept it, but are sceptical. That's fine to me. With it had to be the same, maybe it will come over time.

missy

Ann1 said:

Annelies

I agree with what others have said. Most of my family/friends doesn't understand the tarot at all, and they have zero interest in it. Like religion or politics, I don't try to force it on them. I am not upset that they don't understand it, although I do wish they would give it a chance. But that is their choice. As long as they aren't cutting me out of their lives because of it, that is okay.

I am currently not involved with anyone, but if I was, they would definitely have to be okay with me and tarot, because it is an important part of my life.

AJ said:
My mother has never seen let alone read the one of the 900+ posts on my tarot blog, and it is her loss. She might like me if she knew who I really am.

I have this kind of relationship with my mom, too. She says she loves me, but we have never been close, although I wish we were. She doesn't seem truly interested in my interests. I occasionally will ask her if I can read for her, but I can tell she only does it to placate me. It is out of no genuine desire to understand my passion for tarot, so I really don't offer anymore.

SunChariot said:
My bf, he is on his way to becoming an ex because of it. He is violently opposed to anything spiritual. We try not to talk about it, but he still explodes over it once in a while.

I can definitely say, if it were me we were talking about, he would be an ex if he didn't at least have an open mind. If someone isn't on the same page as me spiritually -- I mean, I don't expect us to have everything in common, but if they don't at least have an open, accepting heart, for me it would never work out. I admire your tenacity, as long as it doesn't affect you. I think I am just too sensitive, and the unspoken disapproval would wear me down.