Confused...help!

Mind

Hi There

I've only been on the forum for about a week. I have however, been devouring information non-stop for a few months and listening and learning from fellow members of the forum... thank you!

I am now, however, super confused. I have read about the major arcana, minor arcana, their astrological signs, numerology signs, seasons they represent, people they represent, elements they represent... now elemental dignities (starting to get lost), the kabbalah, and the four letter unpronounceable name of God... I'm really, really confused.

What do I really need to know to make a start and read some cards?

Is there someone, either on AT or elsewhere, that gives a quick rundown of what 1-10 of any suit should mean, court cards and their astrological partner (as might help understand a person in a reading), and other such basics to get on and interpret.

When I had less in my head, I just got on with it... now I'm a little overwhelmed. With this in mind, please forgive me if I have posted in the wrong forum (again!)

Mind

Is there someone, either on AT or elsewhere, that gives a quick rundown of what 1-10 of any suit should mean, court cards and their astrological partner (as might help understand a person in a reading), and other such basics to get on and interpret.

I meant to say 'somewhere', not someone... sorry, brain overload occuring!

Always Wondering

Welcome.

Did you buy a deck? Do you have a favorite one? That's a good way to narrow down on what to learn first. Some decks rely more on the aspects that you mentioned than others. Or maybe just pick an aspect that interests you the most. Then choose a deck that way.
I understand how you feel. There is a wealth of information in the decks and on this forum. It can be overwhelming. It helps me to remember I don't have to learn it all at once.

AW

Mind

Had to buy mine on-line as none where I live. I bought a Universal Waite, as I liked the colours and there is a wealth of information on them.

It's not so much the deck as the connotations of interpretation that I'm now finding confusing.

Do I need to know about the astrological symbol, or numerology to give a full reading? I get the feeling this helps wiith timing... especially with zodiac symbols and the times of year they represent.

Always Wondering

Have you tried Using Tarot Cards Guidelines

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=61119

I don't think you have to know all these corospondences to start. I get the feeling some quiet one on one time with your cards will help. Perhaps give yourself time for all that info to settle.

AW

Nytebugg

The first thing breathe. okay, now realize that you will never be done learning. My advice start doing some readings. read for yourself, read for your cat or dog, read for the newscaster on tv. Start with 1 card and then work with three. come on over to the fun and games section and post in some of those threads. add in what you feel comfortable adding into your readings.
for me I know nothing about numerology. I do noticed repeated numbers though. Astrology is much the same way for me but I will notice if certain signs crop up more than others.
Court cards are a big topic. everyone has their thing with them. I throw out the astrological signs and go by personality type. My grandmother is so Queen of Swords it is scary but she isn't the sign for that card. Chances are your sitter wont know someones sign anyway.
I'm stopping myself there. Just get out there and start reading and most of all have fun. don't try to over think it or feel like you have to be right.

SunChariot

mindxb said:
Hi There

I've only been on the forum for about a week. I have however, been devouring information non-stop for a few months and listening and learning from fellow members of the forum... thank you!

I am now, however, super confused. I have read about the major arcana, minor arcana, their astrological signs, numerology signs, seasons they represent, people they represent, elements they represent... now elemental dignities (starting to get lost), the kabbalah, and the four letter unpronounceable name of God... I'm really, really confused.

What do I really need to know to make a start and read some cards?

When I had less in my head, I just got on with it... now I'm a little overwhelmed. With this in mind, please forgive me if I have posted in the wrong forum (again!)

I don't think there is any way you SHOULD do anything or learn anything in Tarot. It is a very individual process. We are read differently and it is an indivivual process finding the way that works best for you.

First of all it sounds like you have been doing A LOT of reading and studying. But have you been using a Tarot deck and trying to do readings with it yet? The best way to learn Tarot is by doing, not by reading. Yes, the reading is important when we learn, but you learn much more by doing.

That being said each of us is in a different path as we learn to read. You can only find the path that will best suit you by practising reading. Just try all the methods that sound like fun to you and keep what you enjoy and what works well for you and let go of what doesn't. There is no "should" in Tarot. There is no one way you "should" learn and there is no one way you "should"read. You just have to find your best way that works for you through trial and error. Trial and error is the best teacher there is. Because books are not written for you personally. But the cards will personally tell you what works best for the individial that is you.

Keeping a journal helps too, so yuo can look back at what you learn as you go and to remember it. Also when you look back at old readings later, you'll see new things in them, expecialy at the beginning.

What I want to say is that all the work you have done so far....Wow, that must have been so much work for you. All that was not part of my path. I am not crazy about memorising things, I never have been.

I do not know the astrological signs, the numberical signs, the seasons, the people they represent(?), I don't even know what an elemental dignity is to be honest, the kaballah, and as for knowing the 4 letter name of G-d to me that would be sacreligious as in my religion we are not meant to know the name of G-d. I never even write the three letter name out without omitting the middle letter.

You don't have to know everything there is to know about Tarot to be a good reader. I am a professional reader now and those I read for consider me a good reader. And I know none of those things. All I know by heart is the main one word meaning for the Majors, the basic one word meaning for the Suits and I have developed a method to use for the Court cards, and 3 different methods that I alternate between when I choose to use reversals. And that's it. I personally refer the Minors back to the Major of the same number PLUS the meaning of the suit.

E.g. 6 of Cups = the Lovers and feelings, so it means the querent have loving feelings for someone (of they do for him/her). The 9 of Swords (Hermet and thoughts)= the querent is thinking that they would like to get away and take some time alone to themselves.

I honestly don't know the "real" meanigns for the Minors. And my readings have never suffered in any way from not knowing them.

The rest of readings come from separating the image in the cards into parts and feeling what each part is trying to tell me.

The thing is that no matter how you choose to read and what methods you choose to use the universe will happily send you the answers that fit into whatever method you choose. So it is, to me, not a matter of learning book methods but in finding which methods woudl best with your individual talents. The cards will happily send you the answers in any form you choose to use. But we are individuals and we are each best able to perceive them best in different forms. I am a very visual person and my intuition is important to me so I personally read best by reading intuitively. But again someone who is more lead by rational thought and likes to think things out might do better another way.

But again, I think my point was that no one can tell you should do. Only you can know that and yuou find it out by trial and error. The answer is different for each of us. We are all individuals and very different insdie.

And there is no real need to know everything there is about Tarot to be a good reader. You can pick and choose which parts you want to incorporate into your reading style, and which you don't. If I had learnt that many methods and tried to incorporate them all together that would confuse me bigtime. I don't even use half of what you've learnt. And my readings are fine. Maybe you are making things more complicated than you have to, by trying to incorporate too many things into your reading style?

Tarot is not a science, like math or biology, where there are set facts you need to learn and apply and they will always work. Tarot is a spiritual pursuit, and it follows spiritual laws not scientific ones. What is the right way spiritually for someone to do things can vary from person to person. The only way to know is by direct communication. It's something we each have to learn for ourselves. In religions people connect by communicating with G-d, in Tarot we do so by communicating with the cards. That is where the answers lie for you. In the cards.

BTW, you can ask them. Ask them which way of reading work best for you and for your individual gifts and talents. You can ask the cards anything you want to know and they'll tell you.

Babs

F.M. Tarot

I really think this is what you're looking for!

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/learn/meanings/

A simple run down on all the meanings, no extra junk and questions and confusions....

Thirteen's interpretations are excellent and very in-depth! Hope this helps :)

starrystarrynight

First, it takes years of study, and even then, you'll learn something new about tarot everyday. Maybe, if you can see the relationship between tarot and numerology, it will help you get on your way.

Simply put: take the suit "meaning" and combine it with the number "meaning"of the pip (the 1-10.)

So (again, very simply put):

Cups = emotions
Pentacles = physical plane issues--health, wealth, etc.
Swords = thought processes, conflict, communication
Wands = career issues, ego and the will

One/Ace = beginning of a cycle, the root energy of the suit
Two = Duality, choice, two ideas coming together
Three = initial completion or the "entity" formed by the two coming together
Four = a pause to assess the tangible foundation made by the three
Five = a sudden change that jolts the energy into action again
Six = new balance, harmony formed
Seven = the harmony disrupted, forcing new analysis or soul-searching
Eight = a new direction taken making a new foundation for the future
Nine = endings, completions
Ten = coming full circle and transitioning back to the new start of the Ace

So, for example, Cups from Ace to Five, remembering that Cups often cover emotional issues:

The Ace gives you the ability or potential of feeling new emotions in your energy sphere.
The Two brings another party into your sphere, and you are attracted to one another...you begin to share your emotions with someone else.
The Three further solidifies your relationship and gives you a reason to celebrate this emotional bond.
The Four makes you pause and assess your emotions.
The Five brings change to the relationship and pulls the rug out from under your emotions.

...etc.

Now, this is all very cursory, and others will have other ideas (the trick is to find what works for you and build from it.)

But my point is that if you can find yourself a keyword or two for each suit and learn a simple method of looking at numerology, you can combine the two for any of the minors (except the courts--they are another whole ball of wax.)

Similarly, if you read up on the Fool's Journey as a story, you may more easily be able to understand the energies surrounding each of the Major cards.

I don't know if that helps or hurts...

Sinduction

You don't need all of that. All you need is a deck. Read them. What do you think, feel, see, sense, when you look at a specific card.

It is a lifelong process. But you don't need to learn all of that other stuff. I never use all of that. It can add more to your readings, but don't overwhelm yourself with that now. Just read the cards. :D

Practice is what I think helps the most. Read for everything and everyone. Keep track so you can go back and check your accuracy.

Good luck, and welcome to the AT!