Tarot Burn-Out

missy

I am feeling extremely burned out about reading the cards.

It feels as if I tried to read I would get nothing. I feel emotionally drained and like there is nothing to "give" to anyone in a reading.

Does anyone else ever feel this way? What do you do about it?

Jaydoggy

The human mind is a funny thing sometimes. WE get to moments where our favorite things in the world get onto a "meh" level with us. Tarot's not the only part where this can happen - it can happen with our favorite foods, TV shows, movies, music, games, anything.

You are not spiritually drained by any means and there's nothing to worry about either. You're just having a "meh" phase with it. Nothing to worry about. You will have to give it some time. In fact this gives you a chance to focus on other areas or projects in your life. When you're done and feeling accomplished and take a look at your cards again you'll be up and at 'em in no time. That's how I deal with nearly anything I feel like I'm sick of.

rif

I took a break from tarot for a while. Explored playing cards and Lenormand. Now I've learned something new, and become a better reader as a side effect!

missy

I don't think it's "meh."

I think I'm being too hard on myself, because I am a perfectionist.

I am afraid of making a mistake perhaps.

I am being too judgmental toward myself.

It feels like there is a lot of negative energy stored up (toward myself) and that is getting in the way of me reading.

I think I need to relax and have fun with it, and instead I'm feeling really uptight.

Sigh.

Jaydoggy

I see, seems I misinterpreted what you originally meant. Though in a funny way, seems what I just did could perhaps give you some encouragement. As you can see, I just made a mistake ;) They happen to us, and they're supposed to.

We are humans. It's something to celebrate, not mourn. I apologize for misreading what you first meant, but that's what being human's about. We make mistakes sometimes, and it's normal. I think I'd much rather make mistakes than be perfect. Being perfect has too much pressure.

If you feel like it's getting to a more serious level, then try some more light-hearted spreads or other methods of meditation. Just remind yourself over and over that you are human, and that's what makes you great. Perfection's overrated ;)

Maybe even take a break from the cards. Go to something you love doing and what you know you're good at. Perhaps even take a break from reading to instead studying the tarot. We are our own worst enemies sometimes, and it's not a fun mentality... I think all of us are guilty of it, some more often than others, but it's important to never let that fear control you.

nisaba

missy_ said:
I am feeling extremely burned out about reading the cards.

It feels as if I tried to read I would get nothing. I feel emotionally drained and like there is nothing to "give" to anyone in a reading.

Does anyone else ever feel this way? What do you do about it?
Yep, I think many people do from time to time.

What to do Put away your cards. Cook, or dance or something. Do not sell them!

Sinduction

You need to find a way to make it fun again. What did I tell someone on here that worked... Oh! To just pull cards and make up a story about what you see.

I read for tv shows during commercials, to see what's coming next. I'm almost always wrong but who cares?

I'm a perfectionist too and sometimes I just don't want to read for people because I worry about letting them down. But most people just want the experience so I try to make it as enjoyable as you can. I once read for woman and I was getting it all wrong! I could see it clearly in the cards but she was all, "No, nope, nada." I refunded her money but boy did we have a great time laughing about it. And, she still wanted to pay me! If you make it an enjoyable experience, most of them won't even care.

I can hear her saying, "Remember when I got that great tarot reading from that woman? She was wrong about everything but boy, did we have a great time!" :D It's all in your attitude.

Make it fun!

Jaydoggy

Sinduction said:
You need to find a way to make it fun again. What did I tell someone on here that worked... Oh! To just pull cards and make up a story about what you see.
That sounds like a lot of fun actually, whether you need it or not, it'd be a fun thing to practice! Try it out with three or so cards.

nisaba

On the ComparativeTarot email community, Teresa Michelsen just set us an exercise like that - pull between three and ten cards, and write a short story out of it. I had a lot of fun doing mine.

Keirquen

Go play in Tarot Games on this forum for a while! There are threads that ask you to construct a mini reading. It's a great focus for your skills, and plus it's all a game so no pressure.

I've had more than instance where a reading of mine has been correct, and the querent PMs me to tell me that, so it is a confidence builder, as well.