amazon is weird

zan_chan

I just got one of those "you bought this, so how about this" emails from amazon (.co.jp in my case) but this one, I think, deserves some special attention.

"You ordered 'The Victorian Romantic Tarot kit' so we'd like to recommend "Shadow Government: How the Secret Global Elite is Using Surveillance Against You'."

Is there a connection here that is obvious to everyone else that I am somehow missing?

Maybe some kind of hidden message that I should be made aware of?

Or does amazon really just not put any thought at all into these recommendations?

nisaba

zan_chan said:
"You ordered 'The Victorian Romantic Tarot kit' so we'd like to recommend "Shadow Government: How the Secret Global Elite is Using Surveillance Against You'."
<falls about in hysterical laughter> That's priceless! Keep the recommendation archived on your machine somewhere. Every time you feel a bit blue, take it out and chase depression away with a lot of laughter.

cardlady22

I think it's based more on what people ordered at the same time/same order. Which, if people are like me, could really skew recommendations. I'm sure my buying/reading list seems like I'm a multiple personality. :laugh:

Jaydoggy

That is AWESOME. Maybe when you get that deck you've taken step one to joining their club to go against THEM *dun dun dunnnn....* My absolute favorite was when I ordered a graphic novel and they suggested.... another graphic novel for..... times when you are all alone and need something to do >_>

zan_chan

cardlady22 said:
I think it's based more on what people ordered at the same time/same order. Which, if people are like me, could really skew recommendations. I'm sure my buying/reading list seems like I'm a multiple personality. :laugh:

At the same time, I also ordered the Bohemian Gothic and Place's "The Tarot: History, Symbolism, and Divination". So not a lot of help there.

I suppose it could be because of all the wiretaps, binoculars, and arabic language courses ive been ordering, but other than that, i really cant find the connection.

seanchai

zan_chan said:
At the same time, I also ordered the Bohemian Gothic and Place's "The Tarot: History, Symbolism, and Divination". So not a lot of help there.

I suppose it could be because of all the wiretaps, binoculars, and arabic language courses ive been ordering, but other than that, i really cant find the connection.

lol. "Who needs one of those expensive home security systems! For the price of $20-30 US, you too can protect your home and errant brain waves from tampering with.... TAROT."

(Single deck maximum not guaranteed, double-blind studies have shown a propensity for addiction in some individuals, common side effects include compulsive need for shuffling, sudden desire to learn how to sew drawstring bags, and an inability to objectively determine how low is too low for one's bank balance to go. Consult your physician if you sustain a paper cut that does not stop bleeding within one hour. Offer void where prohibited, no CODs.)

thorhammer

zan_chan said:
I see it :D *wink, nudge*

\m/ Kat

missy

The first thing I thought of is, Amazon must think we who dabble in tarot are a bunch of nutters, and perhaps that would be the kind of book we would buy, so why not suggest it? :p

I hope it is what was mentioned, that it is based on other people's purchases.

That really is odd, though!

thorhammer

I think the Secret Government is using Tarot to spy on us ;)

\m/ Kat

Wendywu

seanchai said:
Single deck maximum not guaranteed, double-blind studies have shown a propensity for addiction in some individuals, common side effects include compulsive need for shuffling, sudden desire to learn how to sew drawstring bags, and an inability to objectively determine how low is too low for one's bank balance to go. Consult your physician if you sustain a paper cut that does not stop bleeding within one hour. Offer void where prohibited, no CODs.

They should print this on the box of every deck ever sold ........