A Rambling Thought With A Question Attached

Tarot Bear

Hello Folks,

I don't often post (usually I am lurking), but I thought I would ask a question of others today. Now, with that said, I'd like to point out that I don't always articulate my thoughts extremely well... and when one adds to that equation the fact that "simple text" is fraught with misunderstanding..... while not forgetting that I'm mixing in some angst, and disappointment .... It's my sincere hope that my question makes sense. I won't bore everyone with an over the top amount of details per se.... but hope it will suffice to relate a truncated (although slightly long) version of the story. I am a "novice reader", and have only been reading... well, I guess it's been about 3 years now. I offer free readings for others in the hope that my readings are accurate, timely, and more over.... "helpful"... I ask nothing for my time, or bandwidth (as all my readings are transferred from table readings to the web as I think people in general are visual, and like to see the cards, ect) nor do I seek donations (not that I am stressing anyone that charges, or accepts donations for readings). All of my reading requests...... (all of my readings period), are done for clients garnered via the web. The reason for this is two fold, one I'd like to become more confident with live readings before making it a habit.... but if the truth really is to be told.... doing readings via the web allows me to do the readings at my "leisure" (and when I have spare time)...... and that means if I feel like doing a reading at 3:00am in my underwear, with messy hair, and bad breath.... while my pair of Dalmatians are flopping around at my feet being silly while dog fur flies in seven directions... then so be it.... as if live clients were present.... I'm sure they wouldn't be amused leaving with their newly acquired mohair sweater. OK, back to my story.... so about 3-4 days ago I was contacted with a reading request... and as luck would have it, there wasn't a queue which would normally be the case for me... so I took care of the reading straight away. I should also mention that my web site where I do/post the readings does not allow "public traffic" (even to the index page, as if someone enters the URL in their browser the user is immediately prompted for a user id, and password on the spot). So after I had finished this particular reading I noticed unusual traffic on my "site logs"..... so adding up the oblivious, I was aware that not only did this person "slurp" (copy, steal, remove for offline reasons) my entire Tarot site, he also let loose a bot on my web site.... and continues failed contact to my Tarot site (through pinging bots, or some other such nonsense) even though he has been banned..... (and he simply gets a 401 error message back). So being the industrious fellow I am..... I started an all out investigation, and had copious results on the guy in question. It appears that this person frequents "extreme political sites", coupled with "somewhat nefarious religious sites".... (and please note that I am not pointing out any type of religious, nor political affiliation). So the whole "Will You Do A Reading For Me" was simply a ruse to see, and later "remove content" from my web site.

Whewwww.... OK, so after that long song, and dance my question is:

Has anyone else been "tricked, fooled, hoodwinked, bamboozled, conned, deceived, duped, flimflammed, hornswoggled, misled, outfoxed" by someone in the past that has had a "not so pure agenda" when asking for a reading?

..... and I just can't understand "why" I didn't "feel" the glaring fact that I was inviting a hellion through my door.......

Grizabella

Can't say as I have had that kind of experience. I just read for people in person mostly and I don't know what they could really do other than come in disguised as someone genuinely wanting a reading but being a fanatical Christian type person trying to save my soul or something. (Nothing against Christians. I've just known more than my share of the fanatical ones.)

I'm not very computer savvy, either, so I didn't follow that story completely, so I can't tell you anything very helpful about them stealing content from your site and such, but I'm really sorry you had that experience. I do know the internet can bring some real nasties out of the woodwork, though, along with lots of nice people. You can never know when they're going to strike, I guess.

Welcome to AT and I'm glad you quit lurking. You'll find a lot of very nice people here. :)

Tarot Bear

Thanks Indeed Grizabella.....

... your kind words are very much appreciated....

nisaba

Tarot Bear said:
Has anyone else been "tricked, fooled, hoodwinked, bamboozled, conned, deceived, duped, flimflammed, hornswoggled, misled, outfoxed" by someone in the past that has had a "not so pure agenda" when asking for a reading?

..... and I just can't understand "why" I didn't "feel" the glaring fact that I was inviting a hellion through my door.......
In a face-to-face reading once, a person who seemed likeable and soft seems to have removed a $20 note from my wallet when I turned my back for a few minutes. All that means, is she's limited her cafe options (I was reading in a cafe and I told the staff).

AprilFool

I'm sorry that happened to you. :(

Can you get back up and running w/ a new password protected site? Maybe on a different server, or whatever they are called, to hopefully avoid this same individual who may try again with a new name?

mysticmonkey

Maybe the fact that your site is completely password protected made it a more interesting target? Or maybe they are just a bit of a nut that does this stuff for fun?
Were they trying to do a denial of service attack on your site or just copy the site content?

I'm sure this is an isolated incident but perhaps you should think about having an open front page with your contact info and then password protect the reading section as you have it now. That way it takes away some of the mystery about your site.
Or move your readings over to email or IM and just upload the image of the spread to your site if that's what you are using the site for.

and I just can't understand "why" I didn't "feel" the glaring fact that I was inviting a hellion through my door.
Don't beat yourself up about it. The thing about the internet is that you never really know the person behind the other computer. I think if we knew about everyone who was pretending about one thing or another we'd be deeply shocked at how common it is.

Alta

Unless we have had very bitter life experience, or are deeply empathic, most of us give our fellow humans the benefit of the doubt for at least the first encounter. So, as already said, don't beat yourself up over that.

However, the internet's anonymity does seem to make some people think that they can blatantly steal ideas, art, and effort in general and it is somehow okay. Not exactly good for one's character. :rolleyes:

Tarot Bear

I'm Further Shocked.....

nisaba said:
In a face-to-face reading once, a person who seemed likeable and soft seems to have removed a $20 note from my wallet when I turned my back for a few minutes. All that means, is she's limited her cafe options (I was reading in a cafe and I told the staff).

Now that really was a "betrayal".... I'm not sure why these things continue to "shock me" at my age.... but they do.....

Tarot Bear

Thanks AprilFool

AprilFool said:
I'm sorry that happened to you. :(

Can you get back up and running w/ a new password protected site? Maybe on a different server, or whatever they are called, to hopefully avoid this same individual who may try again with a new name?

What a kind soul you are.... I have indeed changed all passwords, re-posted the site with all fresh material that I hold locally on my PC (so as if there were some code had been introduced that I was unaware of that wouldn't attack new visitors).... and after I posted my thoughts here on AT.... I went and confronted the grimy little SOB for a 3rd time.... but in the end.... it was a learning experience for me that I needed on my path in life. So as bizarre as it may sound, (and I can't believe I am saying this)... But I need to Thank him, my Guides, and my own personal higher being that I had another class in the school of life.

Tarot Bear

Thanks Catbaloo

catbaloo said:
I'm sure this is an isolated incident but perhaps you should think about having an open front page with your contact info and then password protect the reading section as you have it now. That way it takes away some of the mystery about your site.
Or move your readings over to email or IM and just upload the image of the spread to your site if that's what you are using the site for.

You make very solid points,with clear common sense clarity..... I have to fess up as everyone has showed me such kindness which is much appreciated... (and I hope yourself, and others will not be "overly disappointed" with me, but I did "omit" one fact in the story)... that fact being that I do readings for the Gay community. I left that out, as folks have varying degrees of "acceptance/nonacceptance", and I was more interested in hearing if others had been "fooled"... and if this type of behavior (fooling readers for whatever reason) was something I just needed to get used to. Your point of "others having a keen interest in what I am doing on the Tarot site was a home run"... as I think all was planned not so much because I am offering readings.... and that Tarot over all disagrees with their religious beliefs that they hold dear... but more so that when one combines the words "Gay and Tarot"... well, I don't think I need to put a finer point on that pencil. Again, Thank You for your thoughts.....