oracle vs tarot

Mind

Hi There

Was reading an interesting thread about creating a motto with an oracle deck... one little question... what is an oracle deck?

Is it an angel or fairy type deck? I have a Doreen Virtue one, does that count?

Can you give as in-depth a reading with them as you can with the tarot?

Just curious...

MareSaturni

Oracle deck is usually any deck that doesn't have the classic tarot structure: 78 cards, 22 major arcana, 56 minor arcana, four suits, four court cards per suit etc.

Of course, some tarot decks have extra cards or don't have some cards (like the Oracle Tarot, that doesn't have the court cards), but then you have to see: does the deck generally follow the tarot structure except for a couple of things or is it completely different? If so, then probably it is an oracle deck.

All Doreen Virtue decks are oracles, as far as i know. Compare them with any tarot decks that you own and you'll see the differences.

Hope this helps :)

Aulruna

Have a look at the Oracles Readings section for some examples of the deep and meaningful readings you can get with oracles!

Bernice

To be honest, as much as I love the tarot decks - it's their history, it fascinates me - I've found Oracle decks (and runes, stones etc.....even melon pips!) to be more versatile for divination, and they frequently give more depth. Depends on the medium you use, it's got to 'suit' you.

Bee :)

Le Fanu

I haven't truly found the Oracle deck which is for me. I quite like a few, but.. I dunno, I just canot absorb entirely the system. I have absorbed so much of tarot now, that I find it easy to go beyond book meanings, but I have never dedicated myself entirely to an oracle and so always have to read with book, and it is too jolting, doesn't flow.

I mean, I like Lenormand, I love that Mareilles Oracle (I think this is the nearest I've come to an Oracle "speaking>" to me). Playing Card Oracles (but I keep forgetting the meanings) and the Nostradamus Cards. But I don't feel completely fluent in any of them. And it is like learning a language...

I'd love to find an oracle I love!

kmartin60

I have much better results reading with Oracle decks than with Tarot decks. I still have to use the book the majority of the time with Tarot but have the readings flow sooo smoothly with many of my Oracle decks....

BUT I connected firstly with the Oracle ones before I even got or handled my Tarot ones...(Could it be partially setup by which one you are introduced to first?)

I wonder...K

Morgane_49

I use my oracle decks for quick readings or daily draws.

For in depth answers, I always go to tarot.

Sometimes, when doing readings for others, I'll use tarot for the reading, but pull an oracle card first to 'set the mood'.

Morgane_49

I use my oracle decks for quick readings or daily draws.

For in depth answers, I always go to tarot.

Rev_Vesta

There is much debate whether Oracle or tarot give more indepth reading....?

which is better overall....?'

For me personally give me my Native American tarot or Medicine Woman tarot for great readings......

but then give me 3 of Doreen Viirtue's decks and several other oracle decks and the readings can be hugely with a lot of depth...depends on mood, client, question, qty of cards etc.........18 cards or more can give an indepth reading for a client........but then same with tarot depends do a daily draw, or 3 cards not much depth but use 18 cards, 23 cards then you ahve some depth........also depends on the time you give yourself for the reading....

a very personal choice............

Do you want to work with tarot 78 cards (mostly, a few exceptions..) major arcana (22 cards) plus 56 Minor arcana, divided into four suits..(of different names) ....4 Court cards , King, Queen, Knight and Page (other various other names...) with Ace through to 10.....either fully illustrated or pip ..?
or do you want to work with a set of cards that can range from any number an author would like, with many types of pictures, themes, colours, words, nothing is set in stone, there is no system to follow..........whatever the author feels is appropraite for the style she likes......An Oracle deck is created.............

Vesta