Tarot Reading & Law of Attraction

blueviolet

I was thinking about this for some time now, and I'd like your thoughts on it.
Let's say we do a reading to look into what may happen following a course of action, or about a situation, what we want -- and we interpret the cards and either find obstacles, troubles, or that it simply won't go our way. Are we setting ourselves up to attract that to happening? Since we are then somewhat thinking about it, believing it -- and putting that out there into the universe?
Same goes for when it comes out positive -- all happy and wonderful -- are we then attracting that to happen?

I realize a reading may simply be telling us what will come going by the course we're already on, and it could be used as signs to steer us onto the right path.
I do also think it may influence our thoughts and the energies of the situation, possibly somehow.

I'm just wondering how the LOA fits into this. What do you think?

thorhammer

Interesting question; I am inclined to think that by believing blindly what the cards tell us about the future we are certainly increasing the chance of that future occurring.

Which brings me logically to the great importance of choosing the "question" or topic of a reading very carefully; hence, while I sometimes use "outcome" cards, I tend to structure my readings towards advice or proactive attitudes than cut-and-dried "this will happen". If an outcome appears unattractive, I continue the reading and ask, "What can I do now to avoid this/prevent it?"

This is why I have such a THING against yes/no questions - they not only disempower the querent, they also disregard the possibility of an alternative reality/outcome than the black and white, usually underinformed, view of the world I have at the time. It denies ingress of wisdom.

\m/ Kat

blueviolet

thorhammer said:
This is why I have such a THING against yes/no questions - they not only disempower the querent, they also disregard the possibility of an alternative reality/outcome than the black and white, usually underinformed, view of the world I have at the time. It denies ingress of wisdom.

Very good point about disempowering, and disregarding any possibility -- and also to be more careful about how we format out questions, and to delve further when asking about a possible outcome.
I agree that it shouldn't be read so black and white -- that if there's a defeating environment, there should be a working-about on how to find a path through or around that -- and not full-on acceptance of plain old defeat. Of course, and as it's taught with LOA, it should never be about forcing against another's will, or manipulating another being specifically. It should be a bit broader than that, more open-minded, and more about the goal itself.

I found a separate discussion on this topic here a bit interesting:
http://www.amazon.com/tag/law of at...Forum=Fx2FM7CSTZ18EGJ&cdThread=TxPTIABO5FHIYM

I think the mentioning of our subconscious communicating -- what we feel about a situation currently, and at that moment, what we're picking up on with how we feel it will really go in the near future -- I've been sensing that as well. And that perhaps our subconscious is what is more connected to the source energies? And, as one mentions in that discussion, that it'd be clearer to tap directly into the source when reading, rather than inter-medium guides, etc., if that makes any sense.

SunChariot

blueviolet said:
I was thinking about this for some time now, and I'd like your thoughts on it.
Let's say we do a reading to look into what may happen following a course of action, or about a situation, what we want -- and we interpret the cards and either find obstacles, troubles, or that it simply won't go our way. Are we setting ourselves up to attract that to happening? Since we are then somewhat thinking about it, believing it -- and putting that out there into the universe?
Same goes for when it comes out positive -- all happy and wonderful -- are we then attracting that to happen?

I realize a reading may simply be telling us what will come going by the course we're already on, and it could be used as signs to steer us onto the right path.
I do also think it may influence our thoughts and the energies of the situation, possibly somehow.

I'm just wondering how the LOA fits into this. What do you think?

I've been reading tons about the Law of Attraction lately, and this is my understanding...We attract to us what we believe it. If we believe something is coming, we will attract it to us. If we don't believe it is set to happen then we don't attract it. It's not the reading itself that can change things, but our feelings and beliefs about what it tells us.

IE two people could get the identical reading about something negative to come. If one believes in destiny and that the future cannot be changed and feels afraid...the is going to attract that future to him even more strongly.

If the second person beleives that Tarot just shows us one future amongst many (as I do) and that they can actively decide to change it, if he hears a future event he does not like...he has not fear and he has no belief that this thing has to happen. Instead, he says inside himself. "Well, I don't care for that future, so let's head off towards a new one. I don't want this future (Future A), I want this future (Future B) instead. Then in full confidence he sets off to ask the cards what steps he can take to create Future B and is sure they will lead to that end...Then he is attracting to him a different future than the ones the cards indicated, one he himself chose.

It's not the cards that come up that attract a future to us, but how we feel about and react to what we were told by the cards. That is why, for me anyway, before I do a reading about the future for anyone I am always careful to tell them that the future Tarot predicts is set not in stone and can usually be changed. So many people beleive in destiny, so I always always try to tell them that before I will ever read on the future.

Babs

celticnoodle

most definately!

you know how we say, 'tarot cannot ALWAYS tell you what IS to happen? we always (we = client) have control of our lives and can alter what the cards may see. well, here is a perfect understanding of it.

tarot card readings can indeed tell us what we can expect, and we can most likely avoid it, if we wish to, or bring it to fruition. up to us. that doesn't mean that we as the tarot card client should wait to see what the cards say and then hope for it to happen or work hard to avoid it--i honestly feel if it is meant to be, it will be anyway.

hope i'm explaining this properly--the way i mean it.

avalonian

I was thinking about this the other day. I think of the Tarot as a tool for self-development and am a great believer in the Law of Attraction, and was wondering how to use the two together.

The idea I came up with was a simple two card reading. The first card would answer the question "what am I attracting or creating at the moment?" and the second card would answer the question "how can I improve on that?".

So, if the first card showed that I was attracting or creating something I didn't want (something I perceived as being negative), the second card would show me how to change that, how to move in a different direction and head towards something that I wanted.

If the first card showed that I was attracting or creating something that I did want (something that I perceived as being positive), the second card would show me a way to bring it to me sooner.

I think the Tarot is wonderful for showing us where we are going wrong, maybe headed in the wrong direction, and how to get back on track again, sort of like signposts to keep guiding us back into alignment when we have wandered off.

With the Law of Attraction working around the concept of being aware of what sort of energy we are sending out and attracting with, I think the Tarot is ideal for letting us know when we are having a bit of a relapse, and drawing our attention to what we need to be focussing on.

:) :) :)

Fostha

Id have to agree with sunchariot on this,cards are simply used as a guide as to advise us of possible outcomes,its all about knowing if you really want that outcome of the current path your on or not.If your not able to decide,order some clarity and advice on whats right for you at the moment,and just trust that you will make a decision anyway at some point,and no decision is just the decision to wait,you cannot not decide,and the more you reject things,and become annoyed,the more of the same you will get.What holds your attention will grow,so be careful what your attention gets drawn to.A lot of people are unconsciously afraid that they might misuse their power if they felt too good,or had too much money etc,but its not true.A real happy person whose life is filled with love just wants to share their happiness.

owlish

If I recall correctly, one of the principles of the Law of Attraction is that thoughts with genuine intent behind them are much more powerful than fears or things we simply think about from time to time. So if a tarot reading reveals an outcome we don't want, we can choose to either dwell on that and manifest what we don't want sort of by default, or we can choose to think more about what we do want and inject that with real intent.

SunChariot

owlish said:
If I recall correctly, one of the principles of the Law of Attraction is that thoughts with genuine intent behind them are much more powerful than fears or things we simply think about from time to time. So if a tarot reading reveals an outcome we don't want, we can choose to either dwell on that and manifest what we don't want sort of by default, or we can choose to think more about what we do want and inject that with real intent.
The thing is, in my understanding, that sometimes the intent is unconscious not conscious. Or put another way, consciously we might want something but unconsciously we might fear it and thus not want it. Fear of change can be a biggie for example. If the unconscious intent is stronger than the conscious one...that is what we manifest,even if we aren't aware we feel it.

Babs

owlish

I agree that an unconscious thought / fear can manifest if not countered by a more powerful conscious thought with intent behind it. We have many thoughts each day, but most of them have no intent, i.e. they are not things we genuinely wish for. Those are weak attractors unless we really obsess over them. That's the way I see it. Opinions will vary.