astrology study group

214red

Hi
I see there used to be an astrology study group, is this still going on?
If not does anyone else fancy joining me in resurrecting it?

Or does anyone want to be my astro buddy to help each other learn. i have monthly classes but thats not enough to quench my astrology thirst.

Nik

Minderwiz

I was interested to see if you got much response from your post - maybe it's a little too early to judge but the impression I get is more one of interest in particular issues than a wish to study and develop, which for a primarily Tarot oriented forum is not surprising.

The problem with getting a study group going is picking the right level, beginners or intermediate (or both) so as to maintain interest. There's also the issue of which approach do we use. I know Dave has tried in the past, he uses a traditional (in the modern sense) psychological approach. I use a traditional (in the classical sense) approach - the two are not the same and whilst both are valid, it can be confusing for a beginner to be given two widely different views of, say, the role of Pluto in your birth chart. Learning with one teacher and one viewis probably a good idea to begin with. If it's made clear that other views exist then these can be explored later on.

There's also an issue of committment - both for the students and for the teacher(s) and in an environment where no fees are paid, it's a big ask on both parts.

My guess is that both Dave and I would be interested but it really depends on how many are willing to 'sign up' and put in that committment.

Manda

I am pretty new to astrology, but it is fascinating to me. I am plowing through my own books and what have you, and I would be interested in a group, but I would not be much use in anything above rote beginner.

dadsnook2000

The "essence" of a study group

The "essence" of a study group is not the skill level of the individual, it is not the diversity of interests and/or skill levels of its members.

It is the individual commitment to participate in every chart, every topical area of learning, every study assignment, in every response or feedback on a chart that has been presented. If you aren't 100% involved in the whole process, than you both cheat yourself and defeat the purpose and success of the group.

In the past, some members have raised questions and then either not given any feedback or offered just a perfunctory answer that did not enlighten the astrologer who offered information or the other list members. This is an example of not doing yourself or others any good. We know this is primarily a tarot-focused group. While Tarot can be learned and practiced fairly quickly at a functional level (not that deeper study and more experience doesn't make one a much better tarot reader), astrology requires a bit of preparatory work.

Some of the basics to acquire before you can start to understand a natal chart include, but are not limited to:
** Planet meanings.
** Aspects between planets and their meanings.
** The basics of chart calculation (even if you use a computer service or have your own software) such as understanding global measuring systems, longitude and latitude effects on chart orientation, time-time zones-daylight adjustments to "time", Sun's mean-average-actual daily motion, etc.
** House calculation and house meanings.
** Signs within the zodiac and their meanings.
** Synthesis of all of the above.
** Calculating 10, 20, 100 charts.

So, this might be what a basic introduction would include in terms of topical areas. As part of these learning steps, you should expect that example charts will be presented to illustrate each subject area, that an open discussion about those charts will ensue, that the views of one person may conflict with those of another (this is OK) but that the group as a whole and its primary members will keep the overall direction focused.

At the completion of the above basics, I would expect that a deeper view of the natal chart would be undertaken in terms of very classical stages and views over the past few hundred years, plus the newer directions that have emerged in the past century. Rulerships, Arabian Parts, Symbolic Symbols, Uranian astrology, mid-points, etc. will need to be introduced and perhaps incorporated in the basic skill sets.

Later, various techniques for progressing, directing and returning charts to meet cyclic conditions could all be explored for the purpose of prediction and greater study. One would also want to know about the many astrological associations, the on-line resources for finding chart data and reviewing the work and comments of others, the reading media that can be subscribed to, etc. I'm not trying to discourage anyone but to show that there is a reason to require a commitment to participate. You can't "follow along" and then expect to understand what others have learned-by-doing --- it doesn't work.

It is possible to deeply learn all of the above, and more, within a two year period---but that is a bit intense. Taking a year or so just to learn the basics that were first noted would be a good goal to achieve, and might take a bit longer on the Internet. Dave

Minderwiz

I agree with you that the first set of points - relating to setting up and interpreting the basic chart is about as far as we could go in a period of around a year. It can be done faster but as you say, that requires some quite intense study.

Given a 12 month time scale and the list of topics, I think that works out at around one a month, allowing for one or two additional areas.

However committment remainst the main issue plus responding to questions. Astrology is definitely one of those things where learning by doing is THE way of gaining the skill. It's rather like cooking, recipe books help provide the basic knowledge and structure but you can't call yourself a cook simply because you've read Escoffier. Better to read Delia or Jamie Oliver and try half the recipes, several times till they come out tasting ok. Thereafter you can begin to vary the recipe to suit yourself.

AJ

Dave and Minderwiz,

Dave, thank you for that 'basics' list, very helpful.
I am gearing up to turn my focus to astrology in the new year. To that purpose and thinking about the 2 yearish time line I googled astrology course and got this

http://www.google.com/search?q=astr...-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

Thinking about all the controversy that arises when someone brings up 'official' and 'accredited' tarot courses, can either one of you spot any red flags or gems there?

Thank you.

I'm not glossing over your thoughts 214red, but in my own experience free form group study ends up with 100 people lurking and never inputing and 3 or 4 people trying to carry the load. Just look at any deck study list here.

dadsnook2000

Astrology course advertisements

I've looked through the first page of the adds that your noted:

** Astrologycourse.com provides 7 lessons AND a gadget (which you have to buy). Can seven lessons cover all that I noted in my prior post? No. Do you need a gadget that looks like nothing you have ever seen before, do you need to buy it? No.

** Anita Briant provides 30 lessons that cover an amazing span of astrology. Is any one lesson likely to be "in depth" enough to really learn from? Will you be able to put all 30 lessons together and be an astrologer when you are done? I think this is better than some advertised services but not really suitable for what a beginner really needs.

* The Rosicrucian site and studies. This whole mystery school concept and span of teachings is just too far reaching for most astrological inquirers. Not enough focus for what this group might need.

** Astrology courses lists various schools. Most of these are far too expensive, often involve attendance to some degree and are quite deep for a casual inquiring mind. Many would be suitable for Minderwiz and I if we were so inclined to study what we already somewhat know.

** Moses Siregar doesn't strike me as a mainstream teacher of basic astrology.

** Renaissance astrology (the site) is interesting but not what I would suggest to a modern would-be student who wants to start of with basics. This is something to deepen and broaden your studies later.

Most of these sites are out of the mainstream in terms of costs, travel, scope of coverage, inclusion of a great deal of subject matter you don't want to investigate now. Dave

Minderwiz

Thanks AJ, you put into words what Dave and I are cautious about.

There's no globally or even nationally recognised bodies for accrediting Astrology courses. You could try one of the 'recognised' (in the field) bodies such as Faculy of Astrological Studies (FAS) or Mayo School, or QHP in the UK. Alternatively several well known and well established Astrologers provide their own courses. They even have courses at different levels to accomodate beginners as well as budding professionals. BUT they are not cheap. Like most things in life you get what you pay for.

Free courses tend to give no or little feedback and usually assess through computer marking rather than personal supervision. However, they do provide a basis for assessing whether you actually really want to get involved. Thereafter you can move on to one of the 'better' courses.

sirenssong

I would love to join a study group. I am very new to astrology and only know some of the basicis.

214red

thank you for all the responses, i will answer in depth later tonight or tomorrow when as i have to run to class shortly

I was hoping the study group would be something that could support my monthly workshops. i am happy to put in the time, and even if its just a topic a month that we all discuss it would be a start.

there are alot of questions to consider, i do think the basics of the planets etc can be read in a book, however putting it all together tends to be the issue i have. so it might be better as some have suggested to start a monthly topic, and then for us all to chip in to how it relates to us, perhaps a planet a month?