professionalism

nisaba

Previously we've discussed what people think tehy have to be, or or whatever to consider themselves a professional. I'm asking something quite different, here.

What do people here think constitutes professionalism in a public Tarot Reader already considering themselves a professional?

Is it something to do with a minimum skill level? Impartiality? pricing policy? Presentation of the self and venue? Non-involvement of one's own issues, beliefs, politics and ethics in a reading? Any two or more of these? Anything else?

214red

Interesting question,its very linked to ethics:
1- i label myself clearly, i dont hype up what i do, i make sure i explain in an honest and open way how i read and what to expect.
2-i dont judge, its not my place. I also dont empathise as this is not about me its about them.
3- i dont counsel them unless they ask for specifically a tarot counselling session (i am trained).
4-I dont tell, i give the information to them as given to me so they can use their discernment, i also therefore do not have any expectations of what they will do.
5- i dont waffle or timewaste in their time, if the reading is short they pay for the time used rather then spin it out, sometimes you only need 5 mins not 50

venues i dont think it matters, business can be conducted most places now.

i might have gone off on a tangent.....

tarotmama

Interesting question!

Well I think acting "professional" and having a professional appearance has a lot to do with it. I often struggle with situations when clients call and I've got my children screaming in the background. Basically I have to let my phone go to voice mail and promise to make callbacks when I can. :neutral:

If I lived in a bigger city or somewhere I felt comfortable having a shingle out, I'd rent a small office space and set up regular hours.

I once had my cards read by a lady who owned a little meta shop. After I paid for my reading in the shop, she said to step back into her "office", which was a room in the back with a mattress on the floor and blankets strewn everywhere and posters all over the walls. It was SO off-putting. The reading wasn't bad, but I couldn't get over the creep-factor of where I was sitting.

On the other hand, I visited a reader who had a regular nice office but the reading was awful and she was totally a huckster (she told me I had a blockage placed on my aura by someone messing in black magic and offered to clear that up for $75).

So I guess it's a lot of everything!

Logiatrix

tarotmama said:
After I paid for my reading in the shop, she said to step back into her "office", which was a room in the back with a mattress on the floor and blankets strewn everywhere and posters all over the walls...
Eeewww!:eek:

nisaba said:
Is it something to do with a minimum skill level? Impartiality? pricing policy? Presentation of the self and venue? Non-involvement of one's own issues, beliefs, politics and ethics in a reading?
That's it, right there - all of the above.

nisaba

tarotmama said:
I once had my cards read by a lady who owned a little meta shop. After I paid for my reading in the shop, she said to step back into her "office", which was a room in the back with a mattress on the floor and blankets strewn everywhere and posters all over the walls.
My first thought was that the poor woman was homeless - she could only afford the rent on the shop, not additional rent for a home. That's really sad - I'd be inclined to tip generously and as you all know, I come from a nation with a culture of non-tipping for anything except an exceptionally enjoyable meal.

My take on both your examples is that the other reader presented with a more professional front - but was completely unprofessional in the way she handled herself, whilst this girl just didn't have the necessary resources to present herself and her business well but probably behaved more professionally during the reading.

214red

ultimately its not just about appearences, its about substance. some of the best reads i have had have been with people i will term as maverick rule breakers, they were substance over style

tarotmama

nisaba said:
My first thought was that the poor woman was homeless - she could only afford the rent on the shop, not additional rent for a home. That's really sad - I'd be inclined to tip generously and as you all know, I come from a nation with a culture of non-tipping for anything except an exceptionally enjoyable meal.

I never thought about that. I know there were people living in the shop -- it was just a house with the front room turned into a bookstore, but even if she just would have made the bed and picked up a little I think I would have been put more at ease!! Can you imagine taking someone who is skeptical of tarot to a place like that?

Before I got married I lived in a nice little house by myself and I would meet sitters in my home. I always made sure at least the front room and bathroom were tidy. I've never been to any other readers that work out of their homes, so I'm not sure what is really the norm.

SunChariot

--a commitment to being trustworthy and keeping your word. If you tell the querent they will have the reading by Wednesday, sending it Thursday is unprofessional...even if things are behind schedule and you have to stay up extra late to finish it.

To avoid that I try to overestimate. If I expect I can finish it in 2 days, I tell them it will be done in 3 or 4. That way in case I have a terrilbe headache I can take a time out. And also usually the client gets the work early and is happy with that.

If there is no way to finish it on time, the house burnt down or the computer died, a sincere apology and explanation are in order.

--a commitment to putting ego aside and focusing on the needs of the client. It's their reading, it's about how to help them.

--the ability to not impose our moral or other values on another. They have as much right to their values as we do to ours.

--being non-judgemental

--and obviously the complete answer to their question needs to be there in their reading...in the sense of not telling them afterwards they need to spend more money on additional services from you to get the "whole effect". I think it is unprofessional to tell a client they need more services from you. If they want to come back to you that's their decision and they need to decide that for themselves.

Those are my ideas and feelings of the moment,:grin:

Babs

Umbrae

nisaba said:
What do people here think constitutes professionalism in a public Tarot Reader already considering themselves a professional?

Is it something to do with a minimum skill level? Impartiality? pricing policy? Presentation of the self and venue? Non-involvement of one's own issues, beliefs, politics and ethics in a reading? Any two or more of these? Anything else?

IMO

First, there’s Professional; depending on (living off of) income from some aspect of a field.

Professionalism is (IMO) what you bring to the table/field.

It encompasses that minimum skill level that was required to make the first step.

Impartiality (lack of personal bias) should be present (I know of doctors who don’t have or practice this, but use their station as physicians to be soapbox standing drum beaters regardless of specific diagnosis), but rarely is an any of today’s fields (IMO).

Pricing is what the market will bear and has little to do with professionalism.

Presentation of self and venue. Not important. From a personal viewpoint I’ve read in liquor dispensing establishments, I’ve read on park benches and sidewalks, I’ve read nude, I’ve read on airborne planes, I’ve read in bookstores, restaurants, men’s rooms, hotel rooms…

Not bringing personal bias into a reading is a nice goal to aspire to…but it creeps in…”It’s not about me it’s not about me…”

Ethics? One two three four let’s have a flame war. Let’s change this to Personal Philosophy of Reading. I think this is a huge subject that is important to each one of us - Ethics however is a hotbutton word and should be eschewed in this situation, it does not truly encompass what we need, desire, and strive for. Ethics is viewed as black and white. Personal Philosophy of Reading encompasses grey.

There are those two questions I repeatedly ask folks. Usually they get a backhanded response or are dismissed.

“Why do you read Tarot (for others)?

“Why do they come to us (for readings)?”

Horrid stupid questions.

However I really feel that we should answer them a couple times a year, and write essays regarding them, a couple times a year. The answers tell us a lot about ourselves; about why we’re here, what we’re doing, how we’ve matured over the last six months, which deck we should be using, how we should greet our sitters…

It’s all in those two answers.

IF you’re a professional, its not about the money, its something deeper. The answer’s in front of you.

If it is about the money…well…soup kitchens are open!

minrice

I also think it all comes down to substance. If the person you are reading for comes away happy with the reading, if the reading resonates and you are able to help them, I think that is "professional".
This would suggest that one's professionalism then lies in the hands of the person you are reading for, if they aren't happy=you aren't "professional" and didn't do your job. Which isn't true as we've all had those people who just don't get it...don't want to get it.

But I think generally it is about substance and helping the person you are reading for. I think if you have that intent, you are truly professional. So then it doesn't become a matter of money, or location.

Although I have to say Tarotmama I might have been creeped out too lol! I've been tempted to go to the reader in town, but they have big neon signs and a $.10 special sign hanging in the window. Yikes! That sign is truly a travesty, I want to go in there and take it down. I cringe every time I drive by. Can you imagine???

Umbrae said:
I’ve read nude
:bugeyed:
;)