PDA

View Full Version : Astrology Study Group- Part 2

214red
23-10-2009, 22:17
Hey
Having a look over my astrology books and notes from class lastnight I worked out a rough order for the study groups. I think as I have previously said certain information we can find from books, most of us know the basics or have a book to cover such things. The difficulty comes when we try and piece things together, we know what our sunsign means to us, but how does it mean when linked to moon sign? What happens when our sun is in the first house, how does that manifest?

I personally think it’s easier to learn the complicated things about the houses a bit later after the signs, maybe that’s just the way I was taught. I am open to suggestions though as I am no expert. I have listed the topics I can think of in the order I think we should tackle them below. I think it would be nice to have a topic every two weeks, I did think a month but I think that might be a bit too long, and a week too short.

I think we should start off with signs through the houses, some signs can also be grouped as they best discussed together.
Signs through the houses
w/c 26th Oct- General outline of the meaning of each house http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=127298
W/c 2nd Nov-Sun & Moon http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=2047772#post2047772
w/c 16th Nov-Mercury http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=2061600#post2061600
w/c TBA-Venus & Mars
w/c TBA -Jupiter& Saturn
w/c TBA- Uranus
w/c TBA–Neptune & Pluto
w/c TBA -Moons Nodes (north and south)
w/c TBA-Chiron, Lilith, Juno, Vertex etc

After this I think we should take a deeper look into the houses, and take at least a month to look at this in more depth, will put dates up next year.

Indepth Look at houses
Angles-Angular/Cadent/Succedent
1-6 Me
7- 9 Me & you
10-12 Me, you, & Society
Self-Development, Self-expression, Self-expension, Self-transcendence

Aspects
TBA

I think we need to approach this study group from a personal point of view, look at our charts and friends charts. We also need to stick to the subject, it will get confusing if we start looking at aspects whilst we are reviewing the houses and planets.

How does that sound to everyone?what have I missed?

it might be good also if we all try and have the same type of resources, so perhaps pick a book that we all get to work from (not that we wont use other books and resources)

I am currently using The Twelve Houses by Howard Sasportas amongst others, this is my main book i am using for the houses.

Commitment!!
i think we should all be allowed to dip in when we can, life doesnt follow straight paths, so although we want to commit it might not always be the case, as long as we make an effort thats enough

special events are something we might also want to cover, for instance the Dec 31st eclipse etc
original thread:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=126424&page=3&pp=10

*****Edit****

this is on hold until w/c 21 december as i need to reformat the way i do the posts as it wasnt getting the feedback needed to learn, i am off work that week so i will relaunch it then, sorry for the delay

214red
23-10-2009, 22:17
Names of participants
AJ
Sirenssong
olivia1
franniee
faerieluca
saleeneh
DevilishAngel
Ashtaroot
merissa_88
Kibeth
Manda
silverwings94
lilangel09

olivia1
24-10-2009, 10:57
I have no objection to your study plans- I think it sounds good :). I do commit and I have been studying a lot. I've been personally jumping around the charts a lot (trying to absorb as much as I can) but I will definitely stick to the format in the study plan though (because you are right, it is confusing when we jump around from subject to subject).

As far as the book, I am currently studying Understanding The Birth Chart by Robert Burk. I'm not sure if I can get another astrology book before I finish this one, though (especially since I just got Horary Astrology: Plain and Simple ....and I don't have much space and my spending money comes from my mom).

faerieluca
24-10-2009, 11:53
looks good so far!

AJ
24-10-2009, 12:02
what books are you working with for your classes?

silverwings94
24-10-2009, 15:10
I just found this thead.
Can I join in? I know very little about astrology and would love to learn more.
Kat

214red
25-10-2009, 19:44
I have no objection to your study plans- I think it sounds good :). I do commit and I have been studying a lot. I've been personally jumping around the charts a lot (trying to absorb as much as I can) but I will definitely stick to the format in the study plan though (because you are right, it is confusing when we jump around from subject to subject).

As far as the book, I am currently studying Understanding The Birth Chart by Robert Burk. I'm not sure if I can get another astrology book before I finish this one, though (especially since I just got Horary Astrology: Plain and Simple ....and I don't have much space and my spending money comes from my mom).
dont worry about getting another book, we can work it out with the book you have ...am sure it has the same prinicples!!

welcome!!

214red
25-10-2009, 19:49
what books are you working with for your classes?
i personally am going to stick to the two i was told to get for class (not the other 10 i brought because i wanted to jump ahead!!)

The Twelve Houses by Howard Sasportas
Planets in Play by Laurance Hillman

The Twelve houses is my currently astro 'bible'

214red
25-10-2009, 19:50
I just found this thead.
Can I join in? I know very little about astrology and would love to learn more.
Kat
welcome to the party Kat!

lilangel09
27-10-2009, 07:31
I'd also like to participate. :) Eagerly waiting for the 30th!

214red
27-10-2009, 18:44
I'd also like to participate. :) Eagerly waiting for the 30th!
am blonde, i meant the 26th this week, i am typing things up as we speak

le.jour.obscurcit
27-10-2009, 21:11
am blonde, i meant the 26th this week, i am typing things up as we speak

Is there anything that I could lend a hand on? I would love to take a part in this.

214red
27-10-2009, 23:24
Is there anything that I could lend a hand on? I would love to take a part in this.
any help appriciated!
At the moment we have the general post up about houses, perhaps you can lend a hand in the discussion to start off with

le.jour.obscurcit
28-10-2009, 21:54
any help appriciated!
At the moment we have the general post up about houses, perhaps you can lend a hand in the discussion to start off with

What sort of stuff should I say?

214red
28-10-2009, 22:22
What sort of stuff should I say?
anything you can add is appriciated, if not then the next subject is coming up soon :-)

le.jour.obscurcit
28-10-2009, 22:41
anything you can add is appriciated, if not then the next subject is coming up soon :-)

What subject will that be?

214red
28-10-2009, 22:43
What subject will that be?
W/c 2nd Nov-Sun & Moon

faerieluca
29-10-2009, 03:43
Here is resource I have used to look up terms I am unfamiliar with.

http://wiki.astro.com/astrowiki/en/Main_Page

I can't vouch for accuracy, but it is a place to start.

214red
01-12-2009, 22:11
i havent forgotton about posting the next installment which is Mars and Venus, however i wanted shake up the format of the group a little bit. i dont know why but i dont think at the moment it is being as affective as it could be, and perhaps were not learning enough, this is likely the way i have posted things. this is likely because i am not an expert.

so i have a few ideas, one of the ideas is to start off with is to post a quiz so we can get to know our signs in various houses a bit more, and have a bit mopre fun, this might make it a bit more interactive.

i am looking to post something later this week, if in the meantime you have any ideas on how to improve the group, let me know
Nik

dadsnook2000
02-12-2009, 08:40
For 214red,
I can understand the feeling that things could be a bit different and better help everyone to learn and grow. Any teacher always has those thoughts in mind.

** Combining signs and houses could be difficult (12 x 12 = 144 combinations). Or at least hard to keep track of as every posts different combinations of thier own without discussing or questioning the posts of others.

** Joining Venus and Mars into the format can also be a big issue to deal with as two planets, 5 or 6 six aspects, and 12 houses adds up to a large number of variations.

** An observation that I could make, but have no good suggestion as to how to counteract the problem, is that everyone posts their example but seldom responds to or criticizes the posts of others. It seems that discussion is a missing ingrediant. That can only be accomplished, it seems to me, by posting one narrow example every other day or one a day, giving list members only a short time to respond to that example. Since some list members won't make any inputs (because it doesn't apply to them), the whole process will move quite fast despite the larger number of posts. Can you work that into your schedule?

** A method that I used when I initiated the Planet Series of postings was to make a large and detailed initial statement and then let anyone respond to it. In your case, that would involve (as an example) making a delineation for Mercury being in each house and in each sign --- 24 statements or only 12 statements if you kept to the original format of a planet in a house. Then list members could both respond to what you wrote, note their chart as an example, or ask questions. This is one practical approach. Dave

214red
02-12-2009, 21:34
Thanks Dadsnook, you have brought up some issues and i now have a few ideas to combat this issue.

i agree that it needs to be more of a conversation, so i might try listing venus in a house each day, with a summary of what it should mean for feedback,Interaction is needed to stimulate learning, if not its simply just regurgitating the book.

I think I was being ambitions by trying to do two planets each week, so I will keep it to one planet a week going forward. With each day being a discussion on another planet in another house.

Taking your feedback on board I feel like I have a direction that would be good to follow, will rejig the timings and update this thread.

Minderwiz
03-12-2009, 05:06
I learned my Astrology in the same, planets, signs, houses way though now I'm no longer convinced it's the most productive as we end up with a load of key words and a computer program approach of writing lots of paragraphs for every combination of planet, sign and house. I'm not sure it really ends up with understanding. It's one of the reasons I moved away from modern approaches to Astrology and went back to the 'real' basics.

I agree with Dave that what is necessary is to get participants to think and understand how how to apply a method to a chart with clear objectives in mind. There are many valid approaches, and I'm not pushing mine here, but the important thing is to have such a method.

In the 'good old days' the Astrological student worked with a master and learned from the bottom up, starting with the simplest form of Astrology, the Horary Chart. No need to do anything but form a general assessment of the chart and then concentrate on the relevant portions, ignoring the rest. There's still a need to know about planets, signs and houses but instead of trying to deal with the multiple meanings of, say Venus, the horary emphasises one meaning. Through many horaries the variety of meanings are acquired. The next move up was to event chats and then election charts. These days the only Astrology that most people are aware of is 'natal' Astrology and that is quite a challenge for a beginner.

That's a long winded lead up to a suggestion that perhaps we consider a 'method' thread as part of the Study Group, with yourself, Dave and me doing a short account of how we go about getting the first impressions from a chart and how we begin to apply the method to the chart. Then it might be worth trying a chart which everyone can study but onlyconcentrating on a limited section or characteristic. It might even be that several specific charts could be used in sequence either focussing on the same house and looking for difference and simlarities or to look at different features.

I'm not sure that this will work but as Dave says the only way that they will learn is to actually practice and discuss and it's easier to get a discussion on, say 'What does Mercury mean in this chart' than what does 'Mercury mean in your chart.'

It's a more formal way and I'm not convinced it will work by any means but it might produce more discussion than at the moment.

214red
03-12-2009, 06:44
thanks Minderwiz, as i said to Dadsnook i want to have a rethink, taking what you both have said, and come up with a new format.

food for thought as they say:-)

214red
10-12-2009, 18:41
Update

this is on hold until w/c 21 december as i need to reformat the way i do the posts as it wasnt getting the feedback needed to learn, i am off work that week so i will relaunch it then, sorry for the delay

Ashtaroot
10-12-2009, 19:42
no worries take your time it is all good
I will be out of town until first week in Jan and I am sure everyone is busy with Holidays :)

flameofjoy
10-12-2009, 23:44
I agree with Minderwiz. I follow Lilly and the ancients on the traditional path, having done my share of teeth gnashing and rending of garments over "modern" astrology. I'm no authority, just a student of this great Art, and I'm always eager to learn more.

I'll be off line from the Solstice until the first week in January. Waiting until all the fuss of the holidays is behind us sounds like a good idea, but if you start sooner, no worries, I'll just jump in when I can.

-fj

214red
11-12-2009, 00:31
perhaps i might post something before xmas that allows us to discuss astrology and warm up, might help me understand everyones level.

any ideas?

flameofjoy
11-12-2009, 03:00
Well, yes, I'd be game for that. Not sure what you have in mind exaclty, but do you mean something general? Certainly it would be good, for you at least as discussion leader, to have an idea of everyone's level and to some extent the path they have traveled with astrology, their frame of reference or approach to it, their particular focus or interest. My main focus has been on horary, and I am quite interested in mundane astrology, but with that I mostly read the writings of mundane astrologers, as I am not proficient with the techniques myself. I understand what they are saying and can follow their logic and I learn from that, but I'm not set up right now to do justice to mundane.

As for natal, I have done a few traditional readings of natal charts for people I know well (mostly family), but that was some time ago, and I have not pursued that, although lately I have felt a growing urge to study this more formally or certainly in a more organized way.

Don't know if any of that is what you were thinking of. I'm just rambling, I guess.

-fj

214red
11-12-2009, 04:39
thanks Fj, will take it on board...

might try and compile a fin quiz