The Fool as a tattoo?

Shesawolf

I made a promise to my daughter that if she visits me this Xmas, I will go and get a tat with her. And guess what... she's coming! I am strongly affected by symbols so I want to be careful what I choose.

For the longest time, I wanted to get the Ace of Cups from the Goddess Tarot (I couldn't find a link to this exact card). I started creating sketches and now I'm noticing how much water is represented in the card. And now I'm not so sure that is the best choice for me (I'm very, very much a fire sign with quite the fiery spirit -Leo w/Aries rising).

So I did a reading and the card that came up was the Fool. At first I was a bit surprised but after doing a little research, it might be a good fit for me. I did a quick google search on images and this painting came up http://www.zgallery-art.com/tarot/. Regardless of which image I choose, I will have it done somewhere on my back.

What do all of you think of the Fool as a tattoo?

Morgane_49

I think it would make a great tat!

I've bonded with my kids over a tattoo before!

There are many tarot cards I would consider as tattoos...

As soon as we get back to the states, my husband plans to have the Two of Cups done, and I may go with an Ace of Cups that I have in mind. Both will be our favourites from our favourite decks.

I'd love to see a pic once you have it done!

Hathor

I think that would make for a beautiful tattoo ! I say go for it !

I'm thinking of getting the Hermit for myself.

minrice

Interesting! I think in general the fool is such a hopeful card. You could have your artist put more yellows and reds in it if you want it "warmer" for your personality!

nisaba

I always thought the Cosmic Fool would make a great totemic marker, ie, tattoo. He's not exactly my favourite Fool, but there's something impenetrable about him that I really, really like.

Morgane_49

nisaba said:
I always thought the Cosmic Fool would make a great totemic marker, ie, tattoo. He's not exactly my favourite Fool, but there's something impenetrable about him that I really, really like.

I agree, nisaba. That would be an amazing tattoo!

Shesawolf

That's pretty darn nice (the Cosmic Fool), thanks nisaba!

Shesawolf

You all are so great and I'd like to focus my original question because I'm very interested in hearing about your feelings and ideas around the symbolism. First, I'll start with a story....

I have a friend that used the Hanging Man for a CD cover, and in true form of the card, the CD had many delays as well it required of her and her husband a few sacrifices that they weren't expecting to have to make before they were able to get it distrusted. Understanding that symbols can be powerful, what could be the cosmic (pun intended ;-) consequences of permently affixing the symbolism of The Fool to my person?

Don't get me wrong... I'm a firm believer of the sanctity of "freedom of choice" over "divine fate." But, just for the sake of a fun discussion and learning more about the power of symbols, how could The Fool influence the rest of my life if s/he were to walk with me forever more?

Hmmm....

Morgane_49

Well, there's nothing wrong with new beginnings, as long as you manage to hang on to the things that you love!

And, a little childlike wonder never hurt anyone!

I understand what you are saying, though.

Would you be 'branding' yourself with this card? Would you be - forever - The Fool, in all of his glory?

I don't think so. I think that if you have it tattooed on you because of specific meanings of the card that hit home to you and your heart, then that is what it will represent to you. Of course, for me, 'intent' is very important, so that may strongly affect the way I look at things.

I would ask myself "What is The Fool in me?" Maybe even do a reading on it, with questions set to define these traits and characteristics within yourself. (Not exactly my own idea - Rachel Pollack does this with each of the Major Arcana in her book "Tarot Wisdom - Spiritual Teachings and Deeper Meanings" - she provides a spread/excercise you can do for each card, and it's very helpful to define/relate the archetypes in your own life.)

ResilientWench

If you find a talented artist, you could collaborate on a design which incorporates all of your favorite symbol aspects of The Fool from various decks which inspire you.