I almost had a heart attack this morning...

Amary

I was walking past my husband with my Victorian Romantic Gold in my hands while he was changing his shirt. He pulled his hands down- and knocked my deck right out of my hands! Cards rained everywhere. It was horrifying.

I immediately panicked, and we both got down and started picking them up. I thought I was going to die right there when I found a card that was slightly bent. He says, "Why are you so upset?"

Me: "What do you MEAN why I am so upset?! This deck is worth a mortgage payment!!!"

And he, having no sense of self preservation, says:

Him: "Which doesn't matter because you won't sell it, so really it's not worth anything."

Me: "Yes, and I also can't replace it, and I love it!"

Him: "...oh. I'm sorry."

In good news, the deck is perfectly fine, all the cards are accounted for, the bent card went right back into shape without any marks or creases (bless you, Magic Realist Press, for your glorious cardstock!) and I don't have to kill my husband for the insurance money so I can replace it, so he's relieved, too.

I just had to share that with people who would understand, because he certainly didn't!

Miss Divine

I'm glad your beloved deck is fine. But I did have to laugh at this post to be honest with you. Because this is something that would happen to me.

When my oldest daughter was 9, she was always practicing karate in our living room. She wasn't allowed, because I was afraid she'd knock and break one of my precious things. Well, it wasn't any of my acquisitions she broke one day... I walked in unexpectedly one day while she was practising her kicks. Needless to say, she accidentally karate kicked me in the hand and broke it in 3 different places...

celticnoodle

Miss Divine said:
I'm glad your beloved deck is fine. But I did have to laugh at this post to be honest with you.
agreed! glad your deck survived, and the hubby too! :p

Miss Divine said:
When my oldest daughter was 9, she was always practicing karate in our living room. She wasn't allowed, because I was afraid she'd knock and break one of my precious things. Well, it wasn't any of my acquisitions she broke one day... I walked in unexpectedly one day while she was practising her kicks. Needless to say, she accidentally karate kicked me in the hand and broke it in 3 different places...
now this, (as painful as it was for you, I'm sure) really made me laugh! :D good to know she was so good in karate! you sure won't have to worry about this young lady--ever! :thumbsup:

Alta

Amary said:
and I don't have to kill my husband for the insurance money so I can replace it, so he's relieved, too.
hahaha..... he not even realize the danger he was in there! :joke:

Barbaras Ahajusts

Amary said:
Him: "...oh. I'm sorry."
:bugeyed: He said what????

Those were Magic Words that caused that bent card to go back into it's place!!!!;)

I don't care what happens, honey, those words are still sweet to hear! Now when did I hear them last....?:laugh:

Barbara

Amary

Actually, EXACTLY what he said was, "I'm sorry, but it's still not my fault".

:D

Moona

Almost a heart attack was caused to me too by my common law husband. I had just got my Quantum Tarot last spring and had them spread on the kitchen table, when he just accidentally spilled milk on them! :eek: I´m not sure which one of us was more horrified; he knows that no one is allowed to even touch my cards.
Blessings go to Kunati: I wiped the cards with a damp cloth several times (quickly, "hubby" trying desperately to help) and then with a dry cloth, and a miracle happened: The cards are in perfect condition, no marks of the disaster found even by using a magnifying glass! :bugeyed:
So he´s alive too, but never comes to the same room with me if he sees Tarot cards in front of me or in my hands. :laugh:

nisaba

Miss Divine said:
Needless to say, she accidentally karate kicked me in the hand and broke it in 3 different places...
So from that moment on you slept soundly, knowing the money for the classes had been well worth it and anyone trying to harm her would learn something very unpleasant about her <grin>.

nisaba

<grin> Folks, decks don't *have* to stay in pristine condition, remember. Absolutely the best find I've had in ages was a totally battered, threadbare, stained and, yes, written-all-over copy of the Balbi Tarot recently. Now, the Balbi is a deck that doesn't much interest me - but this one had really been through the wringer, and had obviously been loved and used many times a day for decades. Bent. Dirty. Stained. Ragged. Faded. Anything-else-you-can-think-of. Wrecked, in fact.

The person who used to own it, did they throw it away and replace it at the first signs of usage or catastrophe on it? Nope, they kept using it.

And twenty years later I found it, sitting in a second-hand shop looking and feeling really, really loved. I've picked up slightly-used and mint-condition second hand decks, and NONE of them have even a tenth the charm of this battered deck.

What you see as a catastrophe, a previous generation would have seen as the detritus of living, and the physical marks of a deck's history make it more special than a deck that bears no traces of its history.

I have a Quantum myself and I love it, and I would hate to have a milk-spill on it. But - you know - if it happens, it happens. It will in time fade into the patina of the deck, and become a part of the huge charm that an obviously often-used and well-loved deck has, as opposed to decks that look like perfectly preserved museum items.

Barbaras Ahajusts

Amary said:
Actually, EXACTLY what he said was, "I'm sorry, but it's still not my fault".

:D
Ahhhh! Then I guess it was only partial magic...:laugh:
Sounds like my husband, well the last part at least.

;)Barbara