Tarot bags with or without straps??

saleeneh

I was thinking of designing different kinds of tarot/rune bags since I have collected unusual fabrics and notions for years, as well as beads and appliques from many years of bellydance. My question is; would most people like the standard draw string around the wrist type bag, or is there a market for a shoulder (or shorter hand) strap with either a zipper bag or button closure (a square type) bag?? Also, do most people like a round draw string or a square? All opinions welcome.

greycats

Rectangular, box-shaped drawstring bags are standard. Lately people have been making the bottoms roomier than the tops so that people can put little items in with the deck--like herb sachets, for example. Several sites sell bags. You could give them a look-over and use their samples as a departure point. ;)

I like making circular drawstring bags because they're a little bit more of a challenge. They present different design possibilities which may well make them more desirable.

Those bags with a wrist strap from baba seemed to go over well. I think they had zippers.

I can't give you an opinion about "purse" type bags. I wouldn't use them, personally, because I'm carrying around too much stuff with shoulder straps already--purse, recycle bags, small bag for files, etc. etc. I like my tarot to fit into something else. However, I can see the appeal for someone less burdened than I.

Couldn't hurt to float a few that were sort of neutral, outwardly--not specifically tarot. That way they could sell for purses if no one wanted them for tarot.

Good luck with your venture. :)

Grizabella

I make them using buckskin, both with and without straps. Some people like the strapless style but others find the should strap more appealing--some like both. I think you could just try making a few of each and see how they go over. :)

DeLightFull

I have been on a major bag making kick lately, as well as *finally* learning how to install a zipper. So right now I'm playing with tarot sized bags with zippers and I'm loving it. There is something so clean and precise about a pouch with a zipper and I like that it is a bit of a novelty as most bags have a drawstring closure. Shake it up, babe and let us know what you come up with. I for one let out a long, wistful sigh at the mention of "unusual fabrics and notions."

BlueDragonfly

I'm like greycats in the carrying too many 'strap' things already. I like to keep my decks in smaller rectangular bags with a drawstring-I just like the way they look.

They reside in wooden cigar boxes that I've acquired along the way, so being able to just take them out and tuck them in my bag works well for me.

In fact, I was eying my quilting scraps just the other day...
...and I've got some beads... and ribbons...*wanders off to play*

saleeneh

thanks all.. I guess I am just going to go right-brained and come up with a few different options..

Morgane_49

I make alot of tarot bags, too. (This is a great time of year to stock up on good material, with Halloween costumes and such!)

Personally, I prefer a simple drawstring bag, just slightly larger than the deck it's going to hold, so that I can drop a gemstone in with it.

I don't want a strap on it, and I don't want the drawstring to go on my wrist. I just want the cards secured so I can drop them down into my purse!

I also really like to have spread cloths made to match the bags, and occasionally - if I really love the material I'm working with - I'll make the bag large enough to hold the deck and the spread cloth.

nisaba

I'm a heretic - I'm a great believer in velcro. For the record, I have no Tarot bags with velcro closures.

Cat*

nisaba said:
I have no Tarot bags with velcro closures.
I do. :) Now if only velcro was easily available in colors other than black or white!

DragonFae

Regualr drawstring seems to work for me...I wouldn't use the shoulderstrap one. I also like them a little roomer....in fact it would be great to be able to fold and tuck the matching spread cloth inside....most of mine won't work like that...AND I do love matching cloths...