Meditating on cards

Nathan

What does this mean exactly? From some of the books I have read, the author usually suggests to do this. So does it literally mean, to get into a meditative state then look over the cards?

Also I'm interested on how people here get to know their cards. So any tips and advice would be really welcome. Thanks for any help.

Golden Moon

Nathan said:
What does this mean exactly? From some of the books I have read, the author usually suggests to do this. So does it literally mean, to get into a meditative state then look over the cards?

Also I'm interested on how people here get to know their cards. So any tips and advice would be really welcome. Thanks for any help.

My guess would be that all you have to do is spend at least 5 minutes on one card and see through the card. See and learn all the details, think about it. After you have felt you connected with that one card, go to the next one. :)

Always Wondering

Well, the classic form of meditation suggests you study a card. Get quiet, look it over real good, let the symbolism soak in. Then it is like dropping a pebble into a deep well, listen for any responses or feelings that come up, sometimes right away, or maybe over the next few days. It is usually suggested you write these gems down in a journal when they come.

In less classic ways during visualizations, I have held conversations with them. Sometimes it's one sided, other times they talk. They often sound remarkably (or not) like meanings I've read, but every once in a while they will throw a gem out at me. Sometimes they want to give me things, or pay close attention to a certain symbol they are holding. Sometimes they just want to dance or do something silly.

There is a whole world in a Tarot deck. You may want experment to discover what is right for you.

AW

TarotGirlUK

Nathan said:

I spend time focusing on a particular card for the day, seeing how I can apply to life as it goes by.

I suppose mediating means to really think on that card and see what thoughts come of it.

I think time lets you become familiar with them, spending time with them lets you become friends :)

SunChariot

There are many ways to meditate on cards just as there are many ways to do anything in Tarot. Generally, the one I use is:

From “The Complete Illustrated Guide to Tarot" by Rachel Pollack.

“MEDITATION ALLOWS US to engage the pictures on the cards in a very direct way. There are many forms of meditation. We will look at a "program" that will allow you to enter and explore any card.

We begin with relaxation. A relaxed state allows you to step outside the usual movement of your life. Choose a place where you can sit comfortably so that you will not have to shift around, but try to sit with your back straight. Place the card you want to explore close by so you can easily pick it up. Since you do not want to stop and consult this book, or even have to remind yourself what comes next, you might want to make a tape of the following directions. Speak softly, without rush.

When you have found a comfortable position close your eyes. Feel that you are coming to a rest, still. Let thoughts and plans and problems begin to slide away from you. Begin to breathe deeply and easily. Allow the breath to go right the way down tothe center of your body. As you take a breath out, release it entirely, in the confidence that your next breath will there for you when you are ready for it. (Brief pause).

As you breathe in, breathe in a deep calm all through your body. Let it radiate through you. And as you breathe out, let the breath carry away any distractions or worries.And as you breathe in, let your breath bring you the light of the stars. Let it fill you and shine in you. You are a creature of light. And when you breathe out, send the light down into the Earth. Send it through the floor, the dirt, the rock, deep into the Earth. With each breath you become a link between the stars and the Earth. (Pause).

Now, with your eyes closed, and staying with your breath, reach out for the card. Hold it in both hands and feel its energy. Quietly open your eyes and look at it as if for the first time. Absorb all the details, colors, and characters. When you have seen it fully, close your eyes again and visualize the card in front of you. (Brief Pause)

Open your eyes and look again. What details did you miss? What small form or gesture did you leave out? Now close your eyes again and set down the card. Once more see it before you. Let the picture become bigger, the size of a large book, then a window.

And bigger still, until it becomes like a doorway. A doorway to a living world.Motionless, with your eyes closed, imagine yourself standing before that doorway. Now you step through it. Now you find yourself inside that world. Let yourself look around. The world has grown beyond the picture. Feel the ground, the breezes, smell the air, hear any noises of birds or people or wind. (Brief pause).

As you look around, you see the characters from the original picture. They are active now, and you watch them move and speak. (Pause).

Now you find yourself drawn to them. You approach them and one figure, a person, or animal, or object, draws you still closer. You feel a special bond with this figure, this ally. Allow yourself to explore that. (Pause).

And now this powerful figure asks you to come very close. You approach the figure and the being offers you a precious gift. Allow yourself to discover this gift and accept it.(Pause).

Now you give your ally a gift in return. (Brief pause).

You recognize that the time has come to leave. You say goodbye to your ally and let yourself step back. As you move away the scene becomes the way it was when you first entered it. You look and see the doorway behind you. You step backward through it, so that the scene once more lies on the others side. And now that doorway begins to shrink- the size of a window, a large book, a card. Now the picture you have created dissolves before you.

Sit quietly a moment, then take a deep breath, and when you let it out open your eyes. Write or draw in your journal what you have experienced.”

That is the meditation as it is given in the book, very good book it is too btw. But what I personally do is that once I am in the card and in contact with the being in the card, I have a conversation with them. I tell them how glad I am to be there with them, have ask any questions I have and listen for the answers and then thank them and leave. There really is a really conversation going on when I do it. I just ask the questions and hear the answers in my mind. And they are coming from somewhere wise, because they do often make predictions that later come true.

Babs