Why Do Readers Pull Out The Death Card

TarotGirlUK

I have never heard of this before! Is this just to make sure that you don't worry any sitters?

Nytebugg

I've never heard of anyone doing that.

TarotGirlUK

Nytebugg said:
I've never heard of anyone doing that.

Its been mentioned a couple of times in another thread :)

Alta

You almost make it sound like a common occurrence. Pretty sure that isn't.

The instance you mentioned it wasn't the reader, the employer insisted.

Umbrae

For professional readers, it is sometimes done for readings at parties, corporate events, bar & bat mitzvahs, wedding parties, etc.

ruski_svet

I only pulled Death out once, when reading for an all age group.
Turned out I didn't need to, the kids were pretty sharp. Sharper than some adults there hehe!

Death was included in a newsletter horoscope I did, which worried one lady. She calmed down after it was explained, but her initial reaction was to freak.
Readers do it to avoid such freakouts but I believe most people can handle "those" cards pretty well.

Professor X

So professionals pull it out so they dont freak out their paying customers?
Why does that not suprise me?
Most people are freaked out enough by tarot cards as it is.
I can imagine that people would be freaked out by seeing the Death card even though it doesnt mean Death in 99.999999% of the times it is drawn.

It is a card of rebirth and renewal. We must reap what we have sown in order to progress forward. It indicates major change is needed and it is time for a transmutation of the old and the birth of something new.

I suppose they get rid of the Devil card as well huh?

nisaba

Professor X said:
Why does that not suprise me?
I spent many years doing readings at a new-age shop, along with a bunch of other people who read there. None of us removed Death from our decks.

I am now reading at a cafe. None of my clients there have been worried by any cards that come out, too.

If you're going to have an ooky-spooky way of talking people through the reading, then any and every card will freak them out. If you are going to be rational and realistic and explain the fall of the cards and their option s to them, everyone will be okay about every card.

People don't like to be told their life is sugar and brandysnaps if they're a bereaved quadriplegic who's about to lose their house and whose partner has just left, no matter what setting you are reading in.

And people are enormously relieved when they come to you with an issue of some kind, and your cards show that issue accurately, then show you one or more courses of action you can take to deal with it.

And that's what it's all about.

Debra

Professor X said:

Judging by the contributions to an earlier thread on this topic--one person was told to do it by the company that hired her as a reader and asked on this forum if it is a common practice.

In response, one person argued strongly in favor of doing it for parties as a form of "Tarot for Entertainment" (he has already responded in this thread).

Everyone else had opinions one way or another but as far as I can recall no one else said they pulled out the scary scary bad cards.

Sheri

I'm a professional reader and I don't. I might choose a deck based on its imagery though. Scary looking cards do not the reading make. Plenty of scary readings can be done without the scary cards. The message to the sitter is the message to the sitter regardless.

Death frequently comes up in readings I do and it has never meant death. The only time I did a reading and it foretold a death, other cards came up and the combo meant a physical death.

Everyone should do whatever they are comfortable with. As long as there is consistency, it will work.

:love: Sheri