PDA

View Full Version : Herbs for cold & flu season!

OOnaOwl
07-11-2009, 12:42
I just have to post about one of my favourite remedies for congestion & sore throat. You know, when you start to feel "off" and poorly, but are not genuinely sick? It feels like it could turn into a cold but hasn't yet... A bit of a sore throat, some nasal stuffiness, etc. A teaspoon of cayenne powder in a glass of water with another teaspoon of apple cider vinegar works almost immediately! One glass just set me right again! It is rough to get down but worth it for the benefits.
Plus both ACV and cayenne have numerous other health benefits probably posted elsewhere here on AT.

tarotlyn
07-11-2009, 13:05
:heart:OOnaOwl...that sounds like a winner...BUT...

Would it be easier to put the cayane in blank capsules...
...and bypass your tongue taste buds?:bugeyed:
...unless someone just likes "HOT!!!" ?:eek:

:):heart:Lyn

I just have to post about one of my favourite remedies for congestion & sore throat. You know, when you start to feel "off" and poorly, but are not genuinely sick? It feels like it could turn into a cold but hasn't yet... A bit of a sore throat, some nasal stuffiness, etc. A teaspoon of cayenne powder in a glass of water with another teaspoon of apple cider vinegar works almost immediately! One glass just set me right again! It is rough to get down but worth it for the benefits.
Plus both ACV and cayenne have numerous other health benefits probably posted elsewhere here on AT.

Ashtaroot
07-11-2009, 22:46
ouch I can feel it but thank you I will keep it in mind I am saving this thread so I can find it later :)

stefficus
07-11-2009, 23:09
lynn, you can take it in capsules, but it does... something to the pain receptors in the mucous membranes of the mouth and throat and sinuses. apparently. :D it's just more effective that way, like the cream they make with capsacin in ti for arthritis and what have you.

Dancing Bear
08-11-2009, 06:44
This works for sore teeth as well as sore throats..
We have always slowly chewed on a couple of whole cloves..

Eyes Wide Open
08-11-2009, 23:39
Wild Oregano w/garlic/onion is very good too. It comes in capsules. Just make sure it's wild oregano and not just oregano oil. It's also good to kill out yeast issues.

tarotlyn
11-11-2009, 17:30
...just posted a link to a totally free "handbook of natural cures":
At thread here:
http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=124129

:heart:

Ascot
20-11-2009, 02:50
I don't really know too much about using herbs or remedies, but I know that turmeric and ginger are very helpful against bacterial infections, for one.

Here is a link to a "turmeric-ginger drink" (").

It's made with milk, but if you avoid dairy products, I have made it with soy milk and it is just fine. In fact, it is so mild that you only barely taste the turmeric/ginger. I would recommend pouring the liquid through a sieve into another mug though, even though this recipe's author doesn't do that.

And I second the oregano oil! That stuff is brutal. It kills everything.

Sulis
20-11-2009, 04:43
Echinacea - I use it in tincture form if anyone I know has a cold. I swear by it, it's wonderful stuff; boots the immune system and helps with symptoms too and all you have to do is take a few drops in water a couple of times a day.

tarotlyn
20-11-2009, 06:04
Echinacea - I use it in tincture form if anyone I know has a cold. I swear by it, it's wonderful stuff; boots the immune system and helps with symptoms too and all you have to do is take a few drops in water a couple of times a day.
:heart: Sulis, I have used "Echinacea tea" for boosting the immune system...

...now I am wondering "how many cups" of Echinacea tea you would
have to drink to equal your suggested tincture drops for one day?
(since I don't have the drops on hand...will have to get those :thumbsup: )

Looking forward to your answers.:heart:

Big hug!
:):heart:Lyn

OOnaOwl
23-11-2009, 07:28
lynn, you can take it in capsules, but it does... something to the pain receptors in the mucous membranes of the mouth and throat and sinuses. apparently. :D it's just more effective that way, like the cream they make with capsacin in ti for arthritis and what have you.

The tasting of the cayenne & other hot spices also facilitates the sinuses to respond. It can help with draining mucus from the head!
You can make stuff called "Cyclone Cider"- get a bottle of apple cider vinegar & put cayenne, garlic, ginger in it together. Take it by the spoonful in hot or cold water whenever you feel congested or coming down with something. It works great!

OOnaOwl
23-11-2009, 07:30
Here is a fancier version by Dr. Andrew Weil's website:
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/RCP00269/cyclone-cider-deluxe-with-vinegar.html

OOnaOwl
23-11-2009, 07:37
http://www.herbaleducation.net/recipe-fire-cider.php

canid
23-11-2009, 07:46
Coltsfoot is a must for lung congestion!

OOnaOwl
23-11-2009, 07:48
Canid can you tell us more about how best to take it and where to get it? I have only taken it in a formula tincture for cough. Thank you!

canid
23-11-2009, 07:53
That's how I usually use it also, but I did find the dried herb last year to make tea. My small bottle is nearly empty; I got it in Michigan in '99 & I heard the FDA has since banned it because of the possible carcinogenic properties. However, the same suspect ingredient is also found in Tylenol, & in much larger dosages, yet the FDA didn't ban Tylenol. (I forget what it is now.) A friend gave me a starter plant 3 yrs ago but it didn't do well, & every spring I do a massive search in every wooded area I can think of, but no luck so far.

Stormdancer
23-11-2009, 08:08
I don't really know too much about using herbs or remedies, but I know that turmeric and ginger are very helpful against bacterial infections, for one.

Here is a link to a "turmeric-ginger drink" (").

It's made with milk, but if you avoid dairy products, I have made it with soy milk and it is just fine. In fact, it is so mild that you only barely taste the turmeric/ginger. I would recommend pouring the liquid through a sieve into another mug though, even though this recipe's author doesn't do that.

And I second the oregano oil! That stuff is brutal. It kills everything.

This link is not working for me?? Why-O-Why??? :D

OOnaOwl
23-11-2009, 08:15
That link appears broken...here is another for the drink. Now I am hungry!
http://arunshanbhag.com/2009/06/05/turmeric-milk/

Stormdancer
23-11-2009, 09:05
OOH Thank you Ms OOnaowl. Must try this!

OOnaOwl
23-11-2009, 09:11
Me too! I haven't ever had it yet. I mostly know western herbal medicine, haven't ventured into ayurvedic which is where this hot milk recipe comes from. I love turmeric and ginger, so this is like medicine & a treat all in one...