Shuffling a new deck?

SkadisPhoenix

I received a new shrink wrapped Legacy deck yesterday (and it is exquisite beyond words!), and, as is my wont, I've read the book and now am jumping in at the deep end.

Thing is, I rarely re-order my decks, if I acquire new decks, they tend to be second hand, and I don't need to shuffle much in order for the deck to feel ready for reading with. This deck is brand spanking new though, and I'm not sure how long I should shuffle them before they're ready. I also REALLY don't want to be riffling this deck, not until they're completely mine, as it were, so any advice would be highly appreciated! :)

Grizabella

Just go ahead and riffle them. You won't hurt them. I've seen it said that shuffling 11 times will get them well mixed.

cardlady22

I have trouble shuffling any other way, but lately I do the end-into-end a few times. Then I make a couple of various-pointed stars and just have at in a deal-fashion.

SkadisPhoenix

*nods* OK then! :) Riffling IS a lot easier for me, but I was concerned that they cards would end up getting more worn, but at the same time, I have a feeling that these cards will be my main deck anyway, so I'll keep at it. :) Thank you guys, I'm actually feeling more reassured about the riffling. :)

rwcarter

I read somewhere on Aeclectic that 7 shuffles is enough to randomize the cards and my own independent testing has verified that. Sometimes all I do is shuffle 7 times. Sometimes I randomly deal the cards into 6 stacks and then shuffle them together as * 2 random stacks, the newly shuffled stack with one random stack, repeat from *, and then shuffle the two remaining stacks together. And sometimes I do both.

Rodney

Grizabella

Yeah, I have a thing for 7, too, but in getting a new deck well-mixed, it's not enough for me. Once I do get it well-mixed, though, then 7 shuffles after that is great. I think it has to do with the size of my hands and how much I can manage the cards when they're new and stiff.

canid

Yeah, I have a thing for 7 & 5 also. When I get a new deck, I shuffle like crazy, riffle insanely, then take the top card & randomly insert it in the deck, repeating 78 times. That way I know there won't be any 2 cards *stuck* together. So I'm a bit OCD. We all are to some degree.

dimwem

Something we did playing MTG (the card game Magic: The Gathering) was make six piles, each one getting a card in turn (sometimes switching it up to alternate which pile got the card) then stacked our piles and lacing. If we had just created the deck (or in this case just put your cards in order) we would repeat the process 3 times. Gets a pretty good mix.

alonewiththesea

i only use legacy i put those cards through hell with my shuffeling as i am bad with it and end to end is my way :) the outer edges of black peel kinda quick and show sparks of white but all in all this is my most used and treasured deck. I don't think i can adopt a new one i saw it bought it brand new and now its a part of me lol sounds stupid to say it.
I just recently got a back up deck but someone told me on a forum post i made that a worn deck is a used and trusted deck that they envied people with the old worn ratty decks so it made me cherish my legacy even more. I hope you enjoy this deck as much as i do, sort away dont worry about hurting them if your going to use them they will wear out eventually anyway.

Le Fanu

With new decks, Im more neurotic...

I deal all Majors out separately on the table and then randomly deal the rest of the pack on top the cards, wherever it takes my fancy. I then end up with 22 small piles each with about 2 or 3 cards. Scoop 'em all together, shuffle a couple of times then I'm off!