Dishonesty offends me!

rabidwolfie

Maybe this is nothing but a rant but... there must be SOMETHING I can do! This is driving me crazy & I'm sure it is a lot of other people as well.

Every day I hear about more & more "psychic" scams & the people falling for them. More often than not it's the old "There's a curse on you & I need a lot of money to chase it away." And more & more of these scams are involving tarot! I want to go up to these tarot scammers & slap them into next week!

Is there anything I, or even we, the honest readers as a community can do about this loathsome problem? Or is it simply a case of where there's a dog there's fleas?

EnergeticAlien

honestly, I think the best thing that we can do is to do the best that we can to provide accurate - real readings, however it is that we read. that's what will impact this "profession" the most... also, if anyone has ever been scammed by a psychic, don't just run away. go to the police! if the police won't listen to you because you say the words "psychic" or "tarot", then find another cop to talk to.

Floss

Unfortunately, IMHO there's really nothing you can do to change anyone else's behaviour, and yes, I think where there's a dog there are going to be fleas, however much flea repellant you use!

jcwirish

You're probably hearing more and more about it, because this is a time when more and more people are vulnerable and seeking answers for their many worries. Unfortunately, it is when people are at their weakest points that the con men have their have their best opportunities to profit at the expene of others.

I think it's best to continue to offer the best, and most honest readings you can, and not allow the charlatains out there to bring you down. They have always been around, and they always will be. Don't buy into their negativity, it's not worth your time. Remind your clients that there are dishonest readers out there, just as there are dishonest people in every profession. Point out the red flags to them, and ensure them that tarot is a very positive and useful tool, designed to help the querent attain their happiest and most balanced self. If the messages they receive are not in line with this, and are harmful or frightening to them, they are probably being scammed for the mere purpose of profit.

I know it can be frustrating, but you don't want to let their deceptive and dishonest tactics to create any negativity within yourself.

I wonder if any of the professional readers here have guidelines on their websites to help illustrate what a true reading should entail for the client? Perhaps outlining the warning signs for potential clients would be a way to caution them against becoming victims of deceitful readers. I'm not a professional reader, but it night be an interesting idea.

Keep your chin up.

Johanna

The crowned one

I have to say the only place I have heard instances of this is here. I have never had a single, second hand, first person "curse" experience here on the island. I do not get paid readings by others fro myself, but I read for many who pay others and than I read for or vis vers...No one has brought up the "curse for money removal". I am going to start asking.

Debra

We've got one of those here. She promises to drive away the dark entity that has attached itself to you in order to ruin your life.

Amary

Maybe we could work up a set of guidelines on what to watch for, to avoid getting scammed. I know a lot of us have tarot blogs, so we could spread the word that way, too.

moderndayruth

Debra said:
We've got one of those here. She promises to drive away the dark entity that has attached itself to you in order to ruin your life.

She's a hitwoman?! :eek: :D
Jokes aside - its the most common thing around here in Balkans, all the "psychics" that advertise themselves in the media are into spell/curse removal, if they were to believe - no one here wouldn't ever be doing anything else except engaging into curse casting... :rolleyes:
I got tired of explaining and more so came to the conclusion that - if that scam is so wide-spread, than there is obviously a high demand for it. Sometimes (some) people don't want to be responsible, and they prefer someone telling them they were a victim of curse... :rolleyes:
(This is not to say that those don't exist, but i think they are far fewer than widely believed.)

SarahRacheal

Debra said:

That made me laugh, before I joined AT i signed up for a tarot reading and now get many emails a week warning me about, from what I can gather, is a strange dark fuzzy shape in the astral plain that is stopping all my good luck.
Yes I do know how to stop these emails, but I get a giggle at them so don't.

However it does worry me that someone like my mum would get them and fork out huge sum's of cash (kindly the lady in question offers 3 easy monthly credit card payments to chase away your boogy man) As I know the emails would panic her something rotten.

I do think its a problem as tarot isn't something that can be easily regulated, so yeah dogs=fleas

Sarah x

214red

sadly there will be scams as long as there is gullible people in the world...