Tarot superstitions

Asbestos Mango

I'm wondering about how many different superstitions there are surrounding the Tarot.

The first one I remember is that you should never use a secondhand deck, that you should buy a brand-new one because with a used deck, the previous owner's energy will cause screwy readings. I know from firsthand experience that one isn't true. I had an RWS that had previously belonged to an XBF, and it worked fine, and I'm getting great readings from a Quantum Tarot deck that I bought used.

One that I first heard about here on AT was that you should not buy your first deck yourself, that it should be given to you as a gift. Uh, I thought that was supposed to be for opals, not Tarot decks. And anyway, I've never had a deck given to me as a gift.

Then there's the one that your Tarot cards should be kept wrapped in silk. Something to do with protecting them from negative energy. I did this for years, but I've also kept a deck wrapped in an acrylic scarf and, hey, no problems. 'Course, that only lasted a week. The scarf had unfinished edges, and sleeping with it under my pillow, the edges were starting to fray, so I switched to a cotton bandana, and finally made them a bag from what I think is a cotton-polyester blend. There's also a school of thought that the cards should not be kept wrapped in a synthetic material.

And then there's the "sleep with your Tarot cards under you pillow". I've seen this one in a couple of different books, and the advice seems to range from saying you should do this a couple of times before reading with a new deck to you should sleep with the cards under your pillow occasionally to your cards should live under your pillow. Supposedly the cards are supposed to absorb your energy that way.

My main deck (Gilded Tarot) lives under my pillow full-time, but my Quantum Tarot has never been under my pillow, and I seem to get just as good of readings with it as with my under-the-pillow deck.

What other superstitions have people here heard surrounding Tarot cards? Do you follow them, or ignore them, or think they're something publishers and manufacturers of Tarot-related accessories cooked up to sell more product?

theora

I think they're all bull-pooey! I love used decks.

erm, I mean, you should *never* buy or read with a used deck (moar for me!)

Amary

Good heaven, if I slept with all my decks under my pillow I'd have SUCH a sore neck.

And imagine if Gregory did!

ruchikari

I dont know if sleeping with your deck enhances your reading or creates a better bond ....but for me it mostly results in a restless sleep....from the moment i hit the pillow till the time i get up am dreaming ... most of the dreams don't make sense ..and in the morning I am not at all rested.. it's as if i have not slept at all ....Worst part is their effect stays with me for 2-3 days even after i have removed them from under my pillow ..put them in a wooden box ..kept them on the corner most shelf of my cupboard ...(u get the idea)