Christian Tarotistsas, sound off!!!

Asbestos Mango

Sorry if this is a redundant topic, but I did a search and couldn't find a thread on this particular topic, but then my search-fu leaves much to be desired.

I'm interested in hearing from the Christians here at AT, whether you were a Christian before you became interested in the Tarot, or was it the other way around, or whether you grew with both together.

I'm also curious to know how you reconcile reading the Tarot with your Christian faith, what with the proscriptions against divination and fortune-telling.

For me, it's a matter of how you use the Tarot. I know I've posted along these lines before, but I think it's relevant.

The cards themselves are neither good or evil, the potential problems lie in how you're using them.

I personally think that if you're using the Tarot to try to predict and control the future, instead of leaving it in God's hands, that's a sin, and shows a lack of faith.*

If you're using it as a tool of psychological self-analysis and self-exploration, or for spiritual guidance, that is a proper use of the cards and everything is hunky-dory.

I also believe that ultimately, the cards aren't going to tell you anything you don't already know, at least on a subconscious level.

*I should say that if you belong to a belief system that teaches that divination and trying to get a look into the future are OK (forewarned is forearmed, etc.) then for you, it's not a sin. I'm not one to hold people who don't share my religious beliefs to be bound by their teachings. If your religion is cool with your using the Tarot to predict the future, then so am I.

Golden Moon

Well I'm a Catholic, I started using Tarot when I was 15, My family was and is very open about it. I had made a promise to myself and god that I would us tarot to help those in need and not us them to rip people off, because what goes around comes around, I've seen it happen to others;).

nisaba

Yes, I don't think it's a huge deal. I'm not Christian myself, but I've recently started working with a *very* Christian deck, and I thought the problems would flow the other way, with the Tarot deck being too Christian for a non-Christian reader. Fortunately, it hasn't so far turned out that way.

As you mosey through the community around here, you'll find that some of our most revered and at times vocal members are firm Christians, and many of them have been reading since a few years after the Big Bang, so I'm pretty happy that it really isn't a huge problem for many people.

conversus

Just my private opinion.

Tarot Cards were invented by Roman Catholics in a Roman Catholic culture for the edification, and amusement of Roman Catholics. The Church has never really interfered in their manufacture or use.

The Church is not fond of fortune-telling, per se. The Catechism has pointed comments on the topic and describes the near occasion of sin associated with the use of fortune-telling and magic. The esoteric systems used by many in conjunction with the Tarot pack may be understood by the Church to offend the Providence of the Almighty God. There are decks that are designed to represent worldviews that are at odds with the Christian perspective.

I am not convinced that one can tell the future with a pack of cards. However, one can ask oneself a small number of pointed questions everyday. Who can say what sort of personal insight that sort of discipline might provide. A well-formed conscience and a well disciplined intellect have a significant role to play, here. Self-knowledge is not offensive to the Church or to the God the Church serves and proclaims.

I have enjoyed an interest in Tarot cards off and on for about 40 years, on Saturday I will celebrate the 33rd anniversary of my Baptism, Chrismation, and first Eucharist among the Romans. If my interest in the Tarot is an offense against God, I'm sure that he has all that covered by the passion . . .

On the other hand, God is uniquely free to use any means God wishes to communicate with God's creation.

In the Catholic worldview, intention is everything : A Mother's smile, the Star in the Sky, a picture on a card . . .

CED

alonewiththesea

I don't know what to call myself I just say I'm Gemini

I believe in
science
divination
occult
Jesus/God Holy Spirit
Astrology

I'm a non-denominational christian i have been since 16 christians say im a "fence sitter" but i dont see the point in arguing religion when i believe it all works together. If god made it all why not use it all. I don't believe there is one right religion for everyone but i very much believe in Jesus/God and I don't call myself anything but nondenom. I believe in the spiritual world, the earth, the universe and the heavens. I don't know what to call me so i just say im duality.

I was into this form of religion i guess you can call it long long before tarot but before non-denom i was baptist.

I've been called evil so many times for doing tarot and no matter how many times i tell people i pray to god for guidance they still tell me its witch craft. My response to this is to christians because my booty has read my bible :)

If god did not want people to know the future he would not have given jesus and ezekiel, paul and others the ability to know the future and to write it down. So there for I am doing nothing more evil than god and jesus walked on water isnt that kind of witch craft? he said you can do everything i can do...so that means then i can tell the future based on god, i can walk on water, move a mountain with faith alone hmm then why is what i do evil when i pray to god for it to go to my hands for guidance? I don't ever mind people who have a devoted religion thats wonderful for them until they treat me like im a monster. I HAVE read and followed my bible, and god faithfully. Christian crackpots the over the top ones who think everythings a sin and dont live by it but judge everyone in my opinion dont even matter they make me laugh when they throw scriptures at me like i dont know them because im a witch pond sucker whos going to kill them with my psychic vampire skills and take all there energy from there body and make them combust or something. (im not a witch, not a psychic, not some scum scammer) I don't even charge for what I do i try to help my family in time of need. My sons name is Ezekiel he was born 2 days before christmas and i thought week of prophecy (decan in astrology sag/cap cups) fit that very well due to christianity terms. I guess this whole post is why im called a fence sitter but i do love god with everything i have, i love science and i love being able to be who I am what I get sick of is the cut downs for being who i am. I was a god follower long before I ever did tarot.

Eyes Wide Open

Yes, I believe in God, Angels etc. For me, how could I not, when the things I can see.

I personally believe NOT accessing all that is offered by God/Universe as choosing to limit your life and that's not something I choose.

Oh, I've had so-called Chistians think they have the right to be God and condemn me to "hell", but I guess I've read the Bible more thoroughly than they; judge not and all that.............

BUT I've also had someone who is also a member of this site condemn me for saying I can see angels, etc., saying that she believes in God, but just doesn't think it's right to accept anything else and can't believe I am calling upon angels for help, etc.

I've also had people tell me that I should just open the Bible each day and the first verse my eyes land on, I should read as my message to think on for that day. Sounds just like drawing a card of the day to meditate on to me...DIVINATION lol.

There are people to call you evil for using cards, there are card readers who will call you evil for charging for a reading. In my opinion, there is simply no way to get it right, but for yourself.

I use energy work to help people heal. In some places that's a gift from God. On the next corner, I'm condemned for scoccery or of playing God.

Sometimes it hurts and makes me angry to be judged about who I am. I try to let that run off my back as best I can. I'm not as open about my life as I would like, but I don't see the point in waving a red cape at a bull who will charge just because it's there. Bottom line, I don't think it will ever change.

I'm sure it started long because this, but the Romans butchered the Christians, the Christians butchered everyone who opposed the church to get even. The Puritans, and many other organized religions have had to get out of town to prevent being jailed, tortured, killed and now they (religious) in turn are condemning people for various things like card reading. Round and round it goes, it's a duality world afterall.

Genna

I was a Christian before and after I became interested in Tarot. I think if I bless the cards in the name of God and ask for His and my guardian angels assitanse in reading the cards, then it is OK. I divine for the future, but does not believe what the cards say is set in stone.

canid

conversus said:
Tarot Cards were invented by Roman Catholics in a Roman Catholic culture for the edification, and amusement of Roman Catholics. The Church has never really interfered in their manufacture or use.

I'm REALLY curious. Where did you hear that? Tarot history is full of holes & from what I've learned, although there are many theories out there, nothing's ever been proven.

I'm a gnostic Christian. I started reading tarot at around 17 (now 53 but there were many tarot gaps between then & now) & at the time was Catholic & also attended the Salvation Army church. Don't ask. Since then I've been baptized Mormon & have studied nearly every religion on the planet, ending up with gnostic Christian, which I'll remain.

WaterSong

canid said:
I'm REALLY curious. Where did you hear that? Tarot history is full of holes & from what I've learned, although there are many theories out there, nothing's ever been proven.

I'm a gnostic Christian. I started reading tarot at around 17 (now 53 but there were many tarot gaps between then & now) & at the time was Catholic & also attended the Salvation Army church. Don't ask. Since then I've been baptized Mormon & have studied nearly every religion on the planet, ending up with gnostic Christian, which I'll remain.

a clue....the High Priest was originally called The Pope and the High Priestess
the Papesse....