Spread cloths? Argh!

tarotmama

Do you bother with spread cloths?

I made some that match my bags, but the cotton gets creased when I fold the cloths and it bothers me when I'm reading to have a wrinkled cloth!

If you use them, what kind of fabric do you recommend for spread cloths? I don't want to be neurotic and iron my spread cloth before I throw cards anymore! :D

If you don't use them, have you ever had any problem where you've messed up your cards on a dirty table or something?

WingspreadPhoenix

I haven't bought any but I'd like to. I don't want to risk putting my cards on a dirty table or someplace icky like that.

canid

I only use one if I'm out & happen to have one. At home I use my bed or whatever surface is nearby. I collect silk scarves at GoodWill & use them to drape over lampshades for ambiance, spread cloths & now I'm cutting a bunch up to make a quilted silk throw. A blanket throw.

Wendywu

I have two beautiful velvet spread cloths, backed with cotton made by Sulis - absolutely lovely and best of all, you can fold them up and simply shake them out and they don't crease :)

Nytebugg

I rarely if ever use one. I have one that lives on the table next to my desk.
I read on any clean surface. I always run my hand over a table if I am out and about to make sure. if it's dirty I carry hand cleaners in my purse. i used one of those to clean the table or I ask for a cloth to wipe down the table. usually like at Starbucks they'll come around and clean the table for me.

Le Fanu

Here's a thread I started on this very same subject...

Astraea Aurora

I don't bother with spread cloths. I usually read at the table (which I make sure is clean, I wipe it with soap water and a dishcloth if I'm unsure) or on the bed. When I'm out in nature I usually have a blanket with me and the cards go on whatever blanket I have with me that day.

I once had one when I was solely working with my BGS and I found it provided a certain atmosphere. If I ever work at a fair I would make sure to use a nice tablecloth and set the mood for clients. Since I don't do atm I don't bother. In everyday life the hazzle is too much for my liking.

But then, I'm OCD about altar cloths. One such addction is enough for a lifetime, isn't it? :D

Astraea Aurora

Sinduction

I use them all the time. I have some that are cotton (white for the Transparent) some that are velvet and many that are hand crocheted by me. The cotton ones, I roll so they don't crease.

I'm currently working on a smaller version that's more portable for smaller readings. But it's still a prototype.

I cannot read without one. I am too worried about getting something on the cards. Also, as with the transparent, I need the background in order to see the cards.

Golden Moon

Felt is very good. Soft and fexible.

Asbestos Mango

I use a scarf for a spread cloth- usually on top of a beach towel folded in half because I read on the floor a lot and even though I'm pretty careful about cleaning and vacuuming, I still feel a bit ooky about putting my nice scarf on the carpet. I also use the beach towel when I'm reading on the table because the scarf is kind of thin and tends to try to move around. If I'm reading on my bed, well, I sleep on an air mattress which has dimples in it and the beach towed over my blankets makes for a flatter surface.

I like using it for atmosphere, but YMMV.