Dolce & Gabbana Tarot Perfumes

Aerin

It has, I think "Tarot Media" or something?

A whole deck of perfumes would be interesting - I think we once thought of Scratch-'n-'Sniff Tarot somewhere on here.

Alissa

I was all over it!

Even did a write up in my fashion blog about it, how could I miss an opportunity to talk about D&G and Tarot in one sentence?

I've smelled a few samples in magazines too. L'Imperatrice is very nice.

Mind

I wear The Empress everyday... my new favourite! Maybe this says something about me - hopefully not that I share traits with Naomi Campbell though!!!

starchild

i was realy disapointed with the pufume bottles and not overly impressed with the smell, although the empress i liked the most.
i just thought they could have come up with so many marketing ideas for tarot card purfumes and i expected a whole velveted mystical scean going on.
instead i found it so much more boring.

Moonson

"tarot perfumes"!!
First time i see something like this... interesting idea!
It would make a good Xmas gift... thinking about 1 or 2 persons.

"instead i found it so much more boring." - it's just the bottle with the names on them? or.. any box with some tarot related images? Couldn't see any more details...

Mind

starchild said:
i was realy disapointed with the pufume bottles and not overly impressed with the smell, although the empress i liked the most.
i just thought they could have come up with so many marketing ideas for tarot card purfumes and i expected a whole velveted mystical scean going on.
instead i found it so much more boring.

I don't think they were meant to be tarot perfumes per se, it's just a marketing strategy giving the perfumes a 'character' so to speak... they are probably mindful that some of their potential customers might find the tarot slightly strange, or evil (I personally know people who do here in the Middle East)... it's probably why the names are left in French, and will seemingly only be picked up by those who know the major arcana numbers and experience it represents

Just my thoughts anyway....

Ascot

I agree that they should have made the bottles nicer or something. Charging all y'all enough for them. Plus it increases value by giving it more novelty value... if I were behind this campaign, I'd want to give them awesome bottle shapes to really bump up the "mystical alternate reality" factor.

Or may put out a few others :D Like a perfume for the Queens. That would be hilarious. I wonder what they would each prefer to wear.

Alissa

I could be way off, but I would venture the guess that the D&G packaging designer was purposefully harkening to the shape of the iconic Chanel No. 5 bottle.

Chanel's No. 5 bottle was considered avant garde when first released (nearly a century ago). At that time, perfumes were done in bottles shaped like birds, and all manner of fanciful packaging. The Art Deco design of the No. 5 bottle was considered extremely forward and as such has certainly become an iconic fashion image (people who nothing about fashion can recall the image of Marilyn Monroe holding her No. 5 bottle).

The D&G bottle is square, and similar in shape and austerity in packaging. As such, it reflects what has gone before (Chanel) but also continues to remake the bottle into something that's still all about D&G.

A comparison....

...Not unlike a RWS inspired deck. Similar enough to be recognizable to the original, but also unique and different too.

Attachments

• dg1.jpg
    dg1.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 122
  • no5.jpg
    no5.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 119