Seeing the cards

Mind

I'm noticing that as I'm starting my tarot journey and learning about the meanings, that I have so much more of a flow when I'm reading myself with the cards in front of me (for an on-line reading.)

I realise this is probably the simple fact that I am a visually orientated person, but after doing a PTR or ISG, where I link, lay out the cards and the words just flow, I think, right I'll get on the forum and give some people feedback in 'Your Readings'... however, when presented with just the name of the card, I often can hardly think of anything... I can almost always picture the card (still getting to grips with this), but it's beginning to seem to me more like a block or fear, rather than just a preference of looking at images.

Really want to be able to draw out/access the same amount of information whether I can see the card or just be told which card... not sure how to get that balance.

WalesWoman

It's ok... that is one reason why people ask what deck they used, so we can try to find it online and see what they are seeing.

But after a while, once you become more familiar with the cards, things just sort of jump out when you see the card name and number and sometimes it doesn't matter what the deck was. I call this the Deck In My Head, the meanings always vary and are rarely the same twice. I guess that is one of the reasons the Using Tarot Cards is one of my favorite areas, because it makes me think and stretch my imagination, as well as getting other people's view points and experiences of various cards.

No matter how often the same cards and questions are asked, it's always refreshing to see new ideas and opinions and ways of relating to those cards.

Mind

Thanks Wales Woman... it's true, everytime I see or think of a card, I try to remember the 'stock' meaning but always get something else in my head. I guess this is a blessing really, shows we are access some other wisdom for feedback! I love the 'deck in my head' comment... I'm working on it!

Fostha

mindxb said:
Thanks Wales Woman... it's true, everytime I see or think of a card, I try to remember the 'stock' meaning but always get something else in my head. I guess this is a blessing really, shows we are access some other wisdom for feedback! I love the 'deck in my head' comment... I'm working on it!
I like this,im gonna carry that idea of "deck in my head" now,and just really concentrate on my RW deck to keep there,as thats what we've been studying recently,and im still learning.This'll really help to stimulate me when i get bored/distracted,and give me the real drive and determination to see it through to the end,properly.:p Thanks for the thought Mindxb. :p

Asbestos Mango

Yeah, I can see how this can be an issue. Whenever I've tried to read with a deck with unillustrated pips, I would have to try to visualize what the card looked like in an illustrated deck- usually I would call the RWS images to mind, since that's the one I was most familiar with.

Plus, different decks with different artwork often lend themselves to different interpretations. It really is helpful to see the cards in this case.