Deck "Curve"

WingspreadPhoenix

Whenever I get a new deck, the cards are all nice and flat...I can lay them on top of each other nicely, hold them nicely...

Then they "curve." When the cards curve in a bit, so that if you lay one upside-down on another they don't lie flat, like that.

I really don't like when this happens, but all the decks that I use develop this...this illness! Is there any way I can stop this? I notice that my regular poker decks (which I riffle shuffle) never develop this.

gregory

Mine don't. Is it something about where you store them or something ? Any hint of dampness maybe (it takes almost nothing) ?

ANYWAY - what you can do to lessen it is put them in among some books on a shelf and then FORCE lots more books in till nothing will move - and leave them there a few days. It helps. Maybe store them that way, too ?

WingspreadPhoenix

I store them in a bag or their original box and then put them either in a little plastic storage bin or in my backpack. I can try that with the books--but I hope that neither of those places I mentioned are damp! That would be bad for me o-o

gregory

Is the plastic airtight ?

You are looking at condensation right there. There are threads !

Have you any of those tiny packs of silica that come with electrical things and you throw them away when you unpack ? Keep them and if you need to use plastic, put one in with each deck. They are the size of sugar packets.

I think it does help to keep them in their boxes if you can.... In a bag too, if you want. They have to stay at least somewhat in line in there !

WingspreadPhoenix

The plastic is not airtight. That's bad? D: They'll be moved right away.

I actually do not know what those packets are. x| Are they the things that come with the shoes and jackets?

Grizabella

It's from shuffling always in the same direction and bridging them back together. My daughter does this and her decks always develop this. The cure? Shuffle a few times with the backs facing you, then shuffle a few times with the fronts facing you. Always do this, alternating front and then back, and your decks will lie down flat. No matter how much you enjoy doing it, don't bridge! That puts a lot of wear and tear on the images both on the front and back of your decks. I have decks I've been using for around ten years and every single one of them lies down perfectly flat on the table. I don't have fronts and backs all scratched off, either.

gregory

No no - AIRTIGHT is bad. Any moisture in there can't get out. If they aren't airtight you're OK. I have NO IDEA what comes with suits and jackets - it certainly doesn't when you buy clothes from Walmart. :|

The things look like fabric sugar packets but they have warnings on - I have one on my desk from the box from a recent hard drive I bought - it says "Desiccant. Throw away. Do not eat." But I might want it, so I didn't throw it away.

Or eat it !

canid

What Griz & Gregory said. No airtight-BAD! How do you shuffle? Hand over hand or riffle? All the time the same? Just flip 'em over & riffle. Or you can do the Umbrae method - run each card, front, back, sides, corners, etc. over the edge of a table. But that's usually for making a deck less stiff & more manageable...

WingspreadPhoenix

Grizabella, I'm definitely gonna try that. But I never bridge my decks! The thought of that scares me. I also don't riffle them. The thought of that also scares me (riffling my poker decks makes them gain 10 years!) But how should I shuffle them? I mean, just basic shuffling while alternating? Or should I do a fancy shuffle?

gregory, those might be the packets. They always say "DO NOT EAT" and feel like they have small beads inside. I might have some, I'll look and see.

candid, I just hold the deck in one hand, slide some cards from out of the middle with my other, put them on top of the deck, and repeat. I'm kind of scared of riffling them , though D:

canid

Some people lay & spread the cards on a soft surface, then gently scatter them with a finger or two, avoiding any shuffling whatsoever. That would preserve them pretty well, & make certain they're 'properly' un-shuffled, I suppose. Myself, I like them used. My Gilded (I DO have a new backup) is pretty badly abused from the 'cards floating in the air' photo attempt (Thank you Ciro for rescuing me with PhotoShop). I must have thrown them into the air 60 times while photographing them, then scooping them all up. Off of cement.