PDA

View Full Version : is this Wood or Petrified Wood?

morphine
06-12-2009, 11:28
hey

and once again i just can't make up my mind. so in turning to you i really hope you can help me out. xx

picture:

BodhiSeed
06-12-2009, 11:38
Is it heavy? Petrified wood is heavy like a stone, while wood would be much lighter.

re-pete-a
06-12-2009, 11:43
GEE!! it's hard to tell from that one snap .

Though it depends as to which way it was cut. Vertically or horozontally across the grain.
Generally there are growth rings visable.
What is shown in no way resembles growth rings.

That doesn't mean that it's not. It just means it's not common.

It could be the sap from a tree , that would be more consistant with what is percieved.

morphine
07-12-2009, 09:27
hey thanks a lot for the replies!!

pretty light, so it seems to be wood...i'll get back w/ an update when i find out the type of wood

MCsea
07-12-2009, 19:58
Petrified wood is usually heavy but Petrified palm wood - fern wood can be deceptively light.. it 'could' be petrified palm/fern wood
MARINA

BodhiSeed
07-12-2009, 22:48
Petrified wood is usually heavy but Petrified palm wood - fern wood can be deceptively light.. it 'could' be petrified palm/fern wood
MARINA
This is interesting! So is it as light as amber, or a tad heavier? Off to look for pictures...

ETA:
http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/Louisiana/fossil_petrified_palmwood.html
The spotty look might be a good way to tell if it's this...

HearthCricket
08-12-2009, 01:31
It looks like wood with amber on it!

thinbuddha
08-12-2009, 03:22
I think it's wood. My grandparents used to have a lamp made out of a similar wood (might be burl....?).

Debra
08-12-2009, 16:47
Stick your thumbnail in it. If you can make a crease in it, it's not petrified wood.

MCsea
08-12-2009, 19:44
This is interesting! So is it as light as amber, or a tad heavier? Off to look for pictures...

ETA:
http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/Louisiana/fossil_petrified_palmwood.html
The spotty look might be a good way to tell if it's this...

It can be as light as amber - yes.. particularly a thin piece of wood...

re-pete-a
08-12-2009, 20:13
A geologist once said that Petrified wood is fine sediments that have entered the wood over time .

The wood degrades very slowly and disappears leaving the sediments in the shape of the specimen.

Once when sample drilling for a company, we drilled over a twig, attached to a bough.
It looked like gold, but was Iron Pyrite, The bosses swooped on it , It was worth heaps, being several billion years old , gold looking, as well as perfectly intact.
The job at that time was logging the samples(checking) as they arrived at the surface. It was in these hands for a week , cause the drilling was in remote places.

CastleCrest
08-12-2009, 20:14
Looks like a Fossil of Bone to me - but I can say without seeing it.
Here is an easy test.

Heat up a pin head & touch a spot (from the back if it's open).
If it's petrified wood (or bone) nothing will happen.
If it's wood it will smoke.