The Tarot Bargain Hunter's Guide

Cicero

As most of us know the world's global economy has gone bust. Some of us are broke, have no money, can't afford that really cool deck we've been lusting after or have no clue where to best buy that one speical deck for that one special person. Or, if you're like me and you do happen to have disposable income, like to shop around for the best deal.

Well, friends, I decided we could all benifit from a thread specifically about where to find the best deals. Not stories, or the legendary Bohemian Gothic that went for 10 USD on Ebay, but a place where we can say "Hey, Amazon.com has a used copy of the Gilded for 6.35 USD!" (which it does as of last time I checked 30 min ago) I always thought it could be useful to have a thread of this nature. Also a place where bargain hunting tips can be traded. Yes, we know there are deals to be had at AT and Ebay, but this is meant for other places we proabably haven't thought to look for, or this really neat online bookstore that sells vintage OOP, rare decks, HTF for a 'reasonable' price.

So here's what I've found:
Target.com has some amazing deals!
The Baroque Bohemian Cat's tarot for 30 USD, the Easy Tarot which features the Gilded tarot for 19 USD I even saw a copy of the Gummi Bear Tarot which I have not seen in years. Legacy of the Divine is 19.96(I almost died)

Most of thier decks have an average of 15% to 16% savings. Which is not much, I'll admit, but shipping is a standard 2.99 for the category that Tarot is classified under. The collection is definately diverse and I found decks here that weren't even listed on Amazon or Ebay. Along with a collection of diverse tarot reference books and a few accesories for the sewing challenged. Target is surprisingly a good place to find a deck.
NOTE: I have no idea if this company ships international, since Target, as far as I know is an American company.

Overstock.com
O_O Legacy of the Divine 16.98 USD. The Gay Tarot for 15 USD. The Universal Fantasy 17 USD (*sobs* I paid full price for my copy) Easy Tarot which features the Gilded tarot is 12.20 while the Gilded is 16.31. Also to be found, Archeon tarot, Necromancer, The Dark Grimoirie. Baroque Bohemian of Cats is 27! Sensual Wicca Tarot...Also, a respectable selection of reference books and accesories for the sewing challenged.

The best deal here? Russian tarot of St.Petersburg for 8.69.
What's shipping? Varies apparently by deck(?) and option of expiediated or what have you. But on average these decks are about 15-19 USD including kits. It even has a little "risk of selling out" meter under the Shipping & Returns tab. Nifty huh?

Tarot Deck hunting Tip: The Gilded tarot, comes in two kits. The orginal Gilded Tarot with it's respective compaion book, or Easy Tarot. Both kits have this deck. However, I've noticed that Easy Tarot is usually slightly cheaper, by a difference of 2 to the 3 USD dollars. So if you just want the deck and usually toss aside the companion or LWB (like me), Easy Tarot might be the option for you. It's in the yellow or orange box.

Amazon.com has a "New or Used" option where you can buy it from another seller associated with Amazon. Shipping is a flat rate of 3.99USD, and depending on the popularity you can get some good deals, like the Gilded for 6.35 USD. However, the draw back is you don't know the condition beyond a "like new" in other words...no photos. It's like buying off of Ebay only slightly more dangerous! Again though...be sure to read all aspects of feedback from the seller. Espeically the negative.

Amazon.co.uk can, on a deck by deck baisis be 'cheaper' when converting to USD. Usually it's a two or three dollar difference, but cheaper nonetheless. They only accept a select few credit cards, and I have not the slightest clue for shipping. Casanova is listed there for 14 British Pound Stirling.

So anyways, these are the gems that I found. In the spirit of saving a few pennies, I figured I'd share the fruits of my labor with my peers here. Maybe help make holiday shopping a bit easier this year? Just because I don't want the transparent Tarot, does not mean someone else here may not want to know that it's on Amazon for 30 USD ^_^.

(If this is against forum policy, I apologize and please delete. If this is the wrong topic and might be better suited for Trading Tarot, by all means move the thread. This isn't intended as an advertisement, but as a reference for all those wanting to save a few pennies.)

Grizabella

So Target has Tarot??? That's something new! :D

Cicero

Grizabella said:
So Target has Tarot??? That's something new! :D

I should edit that to say that I have never been in a Target store and found them on thier shelves. Only online.

Walmart has a couple of decks too, but just that, only a couple. The Mythic and Druidcraft. I'd venture to say they're more expensive than the other places I've looked too.

WalesWoman

overstock.com doesn't ship to Alaska... BOO HISS!

DeLightFull

Cicero said:
Amazon.com has a "New or Used" option where you can buy it from another seller associated with Amazon. Shipping is a flat rate of 3.99USD, and depending on the popularity you can get some good deals, like the Gilded for 6.35 USD. However, the draw back is you don't know the condition beyond a "like new" in other words...no photos. It's like buying off of Ebay only slightly more dangerous! Again though...be sure to read all aspects of feedback from the seller. Espeically the negative.

I would add that most of the sellers of used books guarantee your happiness. If you are buying used double check the seller's policy, if you get the deck and are not satisfied you may be able to return it.

I found a new copy of the Housewive's Tarot for about $3 on amazon this past summer... certainly some good deals to be had there!!

Thanks cicero!!

jantigercat

Well...I summoned enough courage to buy my first deck on ebay and the ones I ordered is on their way to my home...Hehe...I got a good deal with it...two deck of cards (Spanish and Marseille Tarots both for 10 Dollars!).

I am just so excited. I hope this doesn't become and obssession someday!

Jan

P.S. as I was about to post this the cards arrived!
:))

Jamie_1311

I know that seasons book store has the gilded tarot plus the book for 20 bucks last time I went, thats where I got mine. I don't know why but it's my favorite deck that really speaks out to me and I would reccoment it for every level of ready. Very beautiful art work indeed.

Jamie_1311

jantigercat said:
Well...I summoned enough courage to buy my first deck on ebay and the ones I ordered is on their way to my home...Hehe...I got a good deal with it...two deck of cards (Spanish and Marseille Tarots both for 10 Dollars!).

I am just so excited. I hope this doesn't become and obssession someday!

Jan

P.S. as I was about to post this the cards arrived!
:))

That's awsome, have you thought about making a youtube vid to show them off? =) ... I can say from experience that getting new decks for many people does become an obsession.... I wouldnt say a bad obsession though lol.

jantigercat

@Jamie_1311

Hmmm...it's too late. As soon as I was handed the package I opened it and spread the cards on the floor (with a matting and cloth of course!) and let them breathe out. :)

I guess I should make an unpacking video sometime! That would be cool!

Jan

yirabeth

Since we're talking deals....

I was in my local B. Dalton's bookstore today, and found a "Tarot, the Complete Kit" setup -- it contains a Tarot Nova deck, a small book, and a paper "reading cloth" in a carboard box with magnetic closure. It was $8.95, not bad even though it's a small deck... (2 1/2 x 3 1/8) But, it turns out it was on sale for 30% off -- I paid $13.26 for this deck, and a "calligraphy kit" my son picked out that was also $8.95 and on sale for 30% off. So I paid $6.63 for a very cute little deck I can fit in my purse and it's in a sturdy box with magnetic closure...

Tarot Nova is pretty minimalist, in a cutesy kinda way...it'll take me a bit to get good at reading them, since I'm a beginner as well. But it *is* RW based. It just so happened to be on my wish list too! So it was a good day all 'round.

~Yira