Tourmaline or Obsidian?

Le Fanu

I bought a black rock a while ago. I wanted something that would protect me in my work, to put on my desk. It is black and shiny and I've since forgotten what the name of the rock is.

How can I tell the difference between Obsidian (not the snowflake type) and Tourmaline? maybe this is really a dumb question. It may even be Onyx :D. I remember when I bought it, I chose it because of the negative energies at work issue. I love the rock, love holding it and now begin to wonder what its other properties are. The problem is, I don't know which rock it is so can't begin researching. I've checked out pictures on the net and still cannot be sure. My hunch is that it is Tourmaline. I think :(

Any pointers would be helpful!

canid

Is it tumbled or polished? I know that obsidian in its natural state will have a conchoidal fracture, but if it's polished it would be hard to tell. Plus, obsidian is usually more translucent than tourmaline.

Le Fanu

Thanks for that, candid,

It is highly polished and has these endearing little "chips" or fractures in the surface (don't know if that helps :))

BodhiSeed

For me, obsidian has a very glassy look to it, especially if it has been polished or tumbled. You can scry with it, because it is a bit reflective. Tourmaline and black onyx are duller compared to it. Black onyx, unless it is a really high grade, always seems a bit of a grayer black than a true black. I don't usually notice unless I compare it to something that is a true black. Tourmaline seems heavier to me than onyx or obsidian. Hope this helps!

Le Fanu

Thanks for all the responses. I reckon - after reading these replies and looking long and hard at pictures, the rock is Tourmaline. Is Tourmaline a rock which is more used for protection at work than Obsidian? This was what I was looking for when I bought it...

Morgane_49

I don't see why you couldn't use tourmaline for protection in the work place. It dispels negative energy, tension and stress. If you feel you need protection at work, I'm pretty sure there's negative energy and tension!

Shamans use it for protection during journeying.

Black obsidian is used for protection, too.

Briar Rose

Tourmaline is very very powerful. It can be used for healing, and very much so for intuition. Take good care of this stone. Tourmaline can crack because of the striations, and cleavage.

Black tourmaline is very powerful in protection. It will ward off negative energy. Black tourmaline is something you come by everyday.

Take care of the stone and it will take care of you. Don't put it with the others. It stands alone.

I wish you could post some pictures.

morticia monroe

Here, Fanu, I think this may help.

http://www.crystal-cure.com/protection-article.html

One of the main visible differences for me with obsidian and tourmaline is that the color in tourmaline is much more saturated, sort of matte looking. The black in a piece of tourmaline looks impenetrable.

Le Fanu

Briar Rose said:
Take care of the stone and it will take care of you. Don't put it with the others. It stands alone.
It is very much alone. All my other stones are at home in a marble dish. This one is the only one I have at work. It feels so good in my clenched fist. I slip it in my pocket on difficult days.

I loved that article morticia. Very enlightening. The stone I have is polished but a very irregular shape. I love it. I'm intrigued by those stubby, pointed wands which are shown on the site. What is the use of wands such as these? Are they shaped that way for massage? For me, they are the perfect shape for clenching... I have a flourite wand like this which I can't stop holding.

Briar Rose

I love that web site so much. Thank you.