Projecting desire into cards

olivia1

I know its possible to influence the cards when you are reading for yourself, but how often is it that someone is so hopeful that an outcome will happen that they actually influence the cards drawn by another reader who reads for them? It's actually been something I've been wondering for awhile but never felt like asking... until now. So, if you're going to be read, would it be best to go to a reader without any expectation of an outcome so you don't end up influencing the reader?

ETA: I don't mean the sitter misunderstanding/twisting the reader's words around to get a desired outcome. I mean a reader actually predicting a positive outcome...

Fostha

Way i see it,when you go elsewhere for a proper reading,the minute you start shufling you're putting you're energy/thoughts into them cards,same as reading for yourself,only the reader can look at them from an emotionally detached view.So whatever you got going round your head,is likely to show up somewhere in the cards,may not always like what you hear,but when you get the same ones more than once,there's definitely something you need to know.Only other thing is,maybe someone else could be telling the reader beforehand all about your desires,in order for them to say the right thing they think you wanna hear....dangerous IMHO...but i've known it to happen.;)
Results afterwards just dont seem as funny for some though,causes all sorts of trouble. :)

pasara

i don't think the cards magically or otherwise get in a particular order because someone wants something real bad. If the energy is moving a certain way it's moving a certain way. Sometimes wanting a particular outcome bad enough is exactly what is needed to make it a reality. At the same time, if it involves other people the reality they are creating is also coming into the infinite mix.

for example, if someone comes to you asking about a particular job they want, if they really want it bad enough they are going to be DOING something about what they want (not just whining about wanting it) such as getting the training they need, etc., and the cards will reflect what is going on in the real world. but let's say they are coming to you asking about a particular person they want (ie for a lover), if the chemistry ain't right for the other person, it doesn't matter how much they want it, it ain't gonna happen, and the cards ain't gonna arrange themselves just to suit the person's private little fantasy.

however, people see what they want to see, that is for sure. that is where delusion comes into the picture, and that is a matter to confront that is separate from the cards themselves.

a professional (in attitude) reader will read the cards. of course if the sitter shapes what the reader is saying onto circumstances that are not based in reality, or even lies, it can throw off the reading. a sad waste of time for both.

Fostha

pasara said:
a professional (in attitude) reader will read the cards. of course if the sitter shapes what the reader is saying onto circumstances that are not based in reality, or even lies, it can throw off the reading. a sad waste of time for both.
My point exactly,when i say about others talking to the reader b4hand,that not only throws off the reading,but also throws a real spanner in the works too,a real sad waste of time.... for many.

greycats

olivia1 said:
So, if you're going to be read, would it be best to go to a reader without any expectation of an outcome so you don't end up influencing the reader?

ETA: I don't mean the sitter misunderstanding/twisting the reader's words around to get a desired outcome. I mean a reader actually predicting a positive outcome...

Yes, it would.

I believe that it is certainly possible to be influenced by a client's wishes and/or obvious needs. Readers are as susceptible as anyone else when it comes to wishing other people well. But if nothing else, I certainly owe a client honesty, so I try to approach every reading with a certain amount of intensity and concentration, but without any particular focus. Like you, I think a person's thoughts will color an interpretation so I try to keep my mind in neutral until the cards are in position. I want to get a first impression of the spread, the cards, and the relationships therein without anyone's influence if I can.

After that, everything is open to discussion with the client.

Volos

I think this is possible, yes. If you are shuffling the cards and either really want a certain outcome or really don't want a certain outcome, there is a chance that you will "psychically" (for lack of a better word) order the cards in such a way that they will simply mirror your wish or fear.
This sort of thing has happened to me too many times to discount. While shuffling, the image of a particular card will pop into my mind, and it'll be a card I consciously associate with either the highest good or highest bad in the situation under consideration. Then, low and behold, in a 3 card reading, that particular card will be one of them. Again, this hasn't happened to me just once or twice. More like one out of every 15 or 20 readings. I think it's significant enough to notice.

The good thing about having an objective person read those shuffled cards is that they might be able to pick up on the fact that the spread is merely mirroring your hopes and fears. And yes, an objective reader is far better (in most cases) than having a friend or someone with an emotional investment in the outcome doing it.

Miss Divine

Hm, in my experience, I never get cards that reflect what I want/desire, unless I did actually get it, or it came true.

I've wanted something really bad, and even had a positive feeling about it. But when I did a reading on it, I got cards that said the opposite would happen...needless to say, they were right.

Maybe it does happen to some, I dunno.

strings of life

The cards are mirrors to our unconscious, so any desires that you are projecting will influence the outcome of any card, no matter what, in my opinion.

Umbrae

olivia1 said:
I know its possible to influence the cards when you are reading for yourself, but how often is it that someone is so hopeful that an outcome will happen that they actually influence the cards drawn by another reader who reads for them? It's actually been something I've been wondering for awhile but never felt like asking... until now. So, if you're going to be read, would it be best to go to a reader without any expectation of an outcome so you don't end up influencing the reader?

Let me see if I get this...you're worried that a sitter will influence the deck so that certain cards arrive in a spread so that a super positive reading will occur?

So what's to stop the SAME infuence from affecting the situation that the reading was about? If the 'power' of want and need can influence the deck - why not the rest of reality?

Then again as Zorya used to say: “If we are too attached to a perceived outcome, we may miss opportunities, or what is truly meant for us.”

olivia1

Umbrae said:
Let me see if I get this...you're worried that a sitter will influence the deck so that certain cards arrive in a spread so that a super positive reading will occur?

yeah and give the sitter false hope. I'll share a great example, which I wrote in response to another *member, that I shared in another thread:

"I LOVED a man and he seemed like he couldn't stand me-- He even told me daily he hated me. Then one day he confessed he loved me. To this day, I don't know if I was just projecting into the cards, my desires, and my being so delusional actually caused him to fall in love with me? He was very mean but I was very nice, anyway, because I was convinced that he was secretly in love (since that was what the cards/reader were saying said!) or if he really did love me all along and he was just pretending to hate me. I will never know because he won't tell..."

* the member in question was pulling up very positive cards. The cards she drew made it seem like the person in question had positive feelings about her. In reality, he couldn't stand her (her words).