Does Tarot ever get used by a "good guy/gal" in a movie?

shelikes2read

I saw The Princess and the Frog on Friday. I enjoyed the movie.

Without trying to put forth any major spoilers, I was surprised to not only see a (created for the movie, clearly) card deck used to tell fortunes, but hear the word "Tarot" used as part of one song's lyrics.

But on that point, I was left wondering if there was EVER a movie where cards were employed by someone good, instead of someone scary or bad.

Just curious. Is anyone here a movie trivia expert where the use of Tarot in films is concerned?

Midnightblue

I know in the James Bond Movie "Live and Let Die", a lady draws him the death card. She didn't look scary and she wasn't bad, but she was the stereo-typed gypsy looking women.

Mateo06

In "Just My Luck" theres a typical gypsy, but she is attempting to do some good

ruski_svet

Not a film, but Jared Padalecki's character in "Supernatural" searches through a Visconti for the Priestess (modified to have a skull instead of face).

Apparently Sam Winchester keeps one handy haha.

And he's a good guy, definitely.

AJ

There used to be a great site on tarot in print and movies, but it was geocities which is now dead and I don't see it anywhere else.

nisaba

shelikes2read said:
I was surprised to not only see a (created for the movie, clearly) card deck used to tell fortunes, but hear the word "Tarot" used as part of one song's lyrics.

But on that point, I was left wondering if there was EVER a movie where cards were employed by someone good, instead of someone scary or bad.
Well, not *films* as such, but a year or two ago, at the beginning of a travel documentary concerning four very young flower-power people and a transit van, before they set out front their first night' camp, I was pleased to see a young lady not only do a reading for herself whilst the cameraman concentrated on the conversation others at the camp-table were having round her, and delighted that she was using the SOL deck. Not a lot of conventionally "positive" cards had come out in her spread, I noticed, but she seemed happy enough, and what the hey, we all understand them in our own ways. Later, the trip or at least the personal politics went bad, and I was reminded of two or three of the cards in front of her at that inaugural breakfast ...

I don't watch much crime TV (I hardly turn the TV on at all, I watch three half-hour shows a week generally), but what I do watch tends to be Brit-crime: you know, Midsomer Murders, Wire in the Blood, all that kind of stuff. MM because despite the constant dropping of more and more bodies throughout an episode, it's twee enough to be comforting, WitB because the Robson Green character is badly flawed himself, making him interesting. I can't remember which it was, but one of those two had a minor (not event-changing) scene with a good-guy witness reading a deck I didn't recognise briefly. The camera moved past them onto other supposedly more important or interesting stuff happening in the same scene.

It just give me a slight sense of acceptance, that I'm not a cultural outcast in the greater picture of society.

WolfyJames

There are also a few threads about tarot decks found in movies and tv shows in the subforums Tarot Books & Media right here at ATF.

Cicero

In Season 2 of BBC's amazing Torchwood there's this odd, random girl that does apparently regular tarot readings for the main character Jack Harkness. She's not evil, it's a child, but she is a bit creepy.