Tarotmama's Crochet pouch patterns!

tarotmama

Hi all! Hope it's okay to post this here like this (if not, mods, just remove it!). Anyway, I've become addicted to watching movies on netflix at night and it's nice to crochet while I'm doing that, so I've been working on several tarot pouch patterns and I thought I'd share them all as I get the kinks worked out of the patterns and post them all in one thread.

Now some disclaimers: I am NOT a pattern designer. I've only written out a few patterns before so I will do my best to explain something that doesn't make sense!

I'm happy for you to use my patterns to make bags for yourself/friends/etc. But please don't use my patterns to make bags for sale (because I'm selling them!!).

The first bag is what has become (so far) my IDEAL tarot pouch. It's soft, protective, no fiddly drawstring, decorative, lush, etc., etc. I used a "woven stitch" on the pattern to basically make a wallet type pouch. You could certainly add a button hole easily to this pattern, but I prefer to just wrap a chord around my bag.

I designed this pouch for my Fantastic Menagerie tarot and it should fit smaller decks too. For really tall cards (like the Deviant Moon, for example) it's kind of a tight fit. I can help you change the pattern for it.

I'm using a very soft cotton yarn. I guess you would call it "worsted" weight. It is softer than dishcloth cotton, and not as dense. You could probably use dishcloth cotton, but the bag might be a little tighter.

I use a size G hook. If you want a bigger bag, consider using a H or I.

Pictures are attached at the bottom!

Here's the pattern:

1 - ch 36

2 - sk 2ch, sc in next, *ch1, sk 1 ch, sc in next*, repeat till end, ch2 turn

3 - sc in ch1 space from the previous row, *ch1, sk 1 ch, sc in ch space from previous row* repeat till end (sc in the turning ch2 from the previous row), ch2 turn

Keep making rows like that (repeating row 3). Eventually start folding the fabric over on itself until you have a pocket as deep as you'd like it. Then keep repeating rows until you have a flap as long as you'd like it. I don't count how many rows I make. I just make it till it looks right.

To make the rounded end of the flap, you will add 3 rows like this:

Instead of ch2 at the end of the previous row, just ch1 (so that you don't have a turning space to sc in on top of). When you get to the end of the row, between the last ch1 space from the previous row and the ch2 from the previous row, DO NOT ch1 in between, just sc in each (to decrease a stitch). ch1 and start a new row in the next ch1 space between two sc.

Fasten off. I made the pouch by using a tapestry needle and sewing up the sides of the bag (turn it inside out first) and then I made a sc border around the flap. Weave in your ends.

You could make a chord to attach to your bag easily enough. I found a piece of creamy trim and thought it looked really pretty with my FM deck, so that's what I'm using. I like the chord on my bag to be not attached because I can wrap it several times around the bag for added security.

It's a beautiful stitch and only takes a few hours to work up! Let me know if you have any problems with it and I'll do my best to explain or even take photos on how to make the stitches!

I'm working on getting the kinks out of another pattern and I'll post it later!

ETA::

SECOND PATTERN: http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=2108491&postcount=46

Attachments

• IMG_8407.JPG
    IMG_8407.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 4,733
  • IMG_8410.JPG
    IMG_8410.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 4,456
  • IMG_8416.JPG
    IMG_8416.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 3,717
  • IMG_8417.JPG
    IMG_8417.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 3,676
  • IMG_8418.JPG
    IMG_8418.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 3,799

Alta

Hi tarotmama, it is fine here.

I like the look of your bags, but can't crochet so can only admire. :)

Alta

Barbaras Ahajusts

Thank you, Tarotmama. I can start on this right now as I'm tired of doing anymore scrubbie/dishcloths!:laugh:
I had finished up on all my kitchen gifts for my children & now need something to start other than another towel, scrubbie or tea towel holder! I'm not quite ready to start a tablecloth for myself as of yet! So this is perfect!:D

LadyMarian

I love them! Thanks so much for sharing your pattern and pictures.:) I now have another project to work on while on winter break.LOL

Blessed be,
Lady Marian

FatesLady

Hi! For your protection, I just wanted to let you know that you cannot license patterns legally. That means that no matter what you say on here, someone can legally use your pattern to create items for sale, and while most of us are nice enough to honor your wishes, this thread is searchable by engines, and random internet people are not necessarily so nice. The only way to prevent people from selling items made from your patterns is to not share your patterns.

tarotmama

FatesLady said:
Hi! For your protection, I just wanted to let you know that you cannot license patterns legally. That means that no matter what you say on here, someone can legally use your pattern to create items for sale, and while most of us are nice enough to honor your wishes, this thread is searchable by engines, and random internet people are not necessarily so nice. The only way to prevent people from selling items made from your patterns is to not share your patterns.

It's not so much as a license so much as friendly request. :) I fully realize that someone could sell things made with my patterns and I would have no recourse -- well, except to call them a jerk! I would think that would be deterrent enough ;)

The pattern will also be on ravelry if anyone else is on there.

strings of life

Thanks for sharing this pattern! I use a similar style for my bags too. I am off from work in 1 1/2 weeks and plan on making several at that time.

(Next next bag swap, here I come!)

Morgane_49

Thank you for sharing that!

Now all I have to do is learn to crochet...

I really like the look of it. You're very blessed!

Flaminica

That's a beautifully designed little bag. Thanks for sharing it! I shall certainly make a couple. I've crocheted pouches for several of my decks but my pattern is very plain.

Have you ever crocheted one in silk yarn? If not, treat yourself!

strings of life

^ That sounds like a lovely idea! What a glorious Tarot bag that would be. Especially since I don't sew/don't have a sewing machine. The silk yarn would add that extra bit of flare.