deck used for readings in Your Readings threads

wonderer

I was wondering (as the wonderer does.... ;-D) what decks are used for readings in this forum, and then for others interpretations of the reading. As a novice, it would be helpful to know what deck is being used so that I can understand where the interpretation has come from.... my universal waite just doesnt tell the story sometimes. sorry if this is in the wrong section....

Moderator clarification: this thread was moved from Your Readings and the question is about using that forum.

Alta

jcwirish

Hi Wonderer,

I'm not sure what you mean exactly. Everyone uses different decks when they do readings, but they very often will say what deck they are using when they post a reading. Are you asking about the decks people use for readings outside of the forum for personal readings? Again, that would differ from reader to reader. Right now I am using the Golden Tarot by Kat Black. It's a wonderful deck that is based on the RWS, so it's a deck you could look into if you want something based on the same system as your deck, but also one that offers a lot in a reading. I really love this deck, and I get a lot out of the images. I hope I'm answering your question. There are many decks that are based on the Rider Waite deck, but that use a variety of images that might speak to you more affectively.

RiverSpirit

I find that you can use the deck you wish, just let us know. I also find that our individual interpretations are more or less influenced by the decks we personally use most often, regardless of the deck you're using, if that makes sense. I list my most used decks in my profile, for instance.

But that's what tarot is all about, learning our individual "languages" for the cards..

Welcome to the forum! :)

River

Grizabella

Actually, if I remember right, it says in the rules that we're supposed to mention what deck we're using when we post a reading so it's easier for people to follow along, but many times people forget to mention it.

As has been said, the decks used here vary widely among the different readers. If you don't have a particular deck that someone mentions using, you can write the cards down and go to taroteca.com to look at the cards so you can get a better idea of why the posters might give the interpretations they do. They show all the cards from lots of deck on that website, which is really helpful.

wonderer

jcwirish, yes, i am interested to know the deck that is being used for personal forum readings and then the deck that is used to interpret that reading by those that reply.
Riverspirit, yes you are right, the personal interpretation according to the deck is so varied and that is what I am intrigued about, there are so many great interpretations and I thought maybe the deck influenced that... I never thought about going onto different profiles to check out the decks everyone uses, so will try that, thankyou...
Grizabella, thanks for referring me to tarotec.com, that will be really helpful, I would love to purchase a new deck and I guess i want one which is a "good fit" for me... :)

jantigercat

For readings with "clients" I use the Universal Waite deck because it has illustrated pip and the images are familiar to my clients. And it's easier to interpret because it's the first deck that I used when I started learning the Tarot.

On the other hand, when reading for myself, I use the Fournier Tarot de Marseille. I am still developing an affinity to this deck and giving it a test drives in readings, :)

Jan

JennyM

If someone says that they did a reading using a non RW clone I don't normally respond because I use only RW clones and that's the imagery I'm most comfortable with.

WalesWoman

I am guilty of using the "deck in my head" to interpret someone else's reading, which is mostly based on ideas and things I've picked up here and along the way, if I don't know what deck the reader is using or haven't seen the cards. I know this drives some people crazy, like it's a sacrilege to even attempt to interpret cards I haven't actually seen.

I think the deck in my head is fairly accurate, but pictures can say a thousand words, especially when reading intuitively from the images. It can make a difference or rather it gives more layers to the general meaning of each card.

KafkasGhost

WalesWoman said:
I am guilty of using the "deck in my head" to interpret someone else's reading, which is mostly based on ideas and things I've picked up here and along the way, if I don't know what deck the reader is using or haven't seen the cards. I know this drives some people crazy, like it's a sacrilege to even attempt to interpret cards I haven't actually seen.

I think the deck in my head is fairly accurate, but pictures can say a thousand words, especially when reading intuitively from the images. It can make a difference or rather it gives more layers to the general meaning of each card.

*bingo* I'm a deck-in-my-head user as well.

I do ask when it's not indicated which deck is used but for the most part, I try to keep a deck-in-my-head that contains as universal as possible interpretations. I join this with the actual deck illustrations to give a fuller meaning.

Ferret

I'm very grateful to wonderer for raising this subject because a similar question occurred to me yesterday as I was browsing Reading threads - whether you really do need to see the images of the specific deck mentioned to interpret that reading, or use the more universal 'deck in your head' like WalesWoman suggests, or even if it's possible/advisable to relate the cards in the reading to a completely different deck.

I guess there's a sneaking concern in my brain about how to respond most appropriately and helpfully to a posted reading.

(I'm still very much in the stages of newbieness and discovering my own reading style and responses to the cards.)