Writing on Tarot Cards

kittiann

Hey all! I have a Haindl tarot deck which I love, but I'd like to use the Elder Futuark versions of the runes rather then the Haindl versions. I'dlike to draw each rune on its corresponding card, but I'm not sure of the best way to go about this. What kind of marker or pencils will work well and last on top of the laminate? Can I use a simple Sharpie, or is there a better alternative I'm not thinking of? Thanks!

rif

I used ultra-fine-point Sharpies to write on playing cards, and it has held up quite well. Presumably it would work on tarot decks as well, even though they aren't as textured.

You can always test it, if you have the extra cards that came with your deck.

Sinduction

I used a sharpie, as thin as I could find, on a regular deck of playing cards, to learn. They lasted through my learning. I assume it would be similar.

shamoness

Ultra Fine Sharpies are the best way to go. They are non-smudging and the fine point makes a nice line. Regular Sharpies and Paint pens are permanent but the width of the nib is to large for the fine lines you will want for writing on the cards.

Grizabella

When I tried blacking out the words on the Haindl with a black sharpie marker, it rubbed off with very little use, so that might happen in this case, too, even with a fine line marker. Maybe you could use a fixative over it and it would last? I think canid could help you about fixatives that are okay for that sort of use.

zan_chan

kittiann said:
Hey all! I have a Haindl tarot deck which I love, but I'd like to use the Elder Futuark versions of the runes rather then the Haindl versions. I'dlike to draw each rune on its corresponding card, but I'm not sure of the best way to go about this. What kind of marker or pencils will work well and last on top of the laminate? Can I use a simple Sharpie, or is there a better alternative I'm not thinking of? Thanks!

:bugeyed: but, but, but...

to each his own i guess.

i'm just going to breathe deeply and pretend i didnt see any of this...

Le Fanu

ahem.. can anyone tell me what a "sharpie" is in UK English? I'm sure I'd never heard the word till I came on here...

Is it what we would call a permanent marker pen?

zan_chan

Le Fanu said:
Is it what we would call a permanent marker pen?

yep. thats what it is.

romanticdreamz

Wasn't David Beckham advertising Sharpie pens in the UK?

Is that just SO that wrong reason for remembering the brand that I've never used or rarely heard of?...