Psychic Development & Tarot Cards

Probie

Now I know ALL readers use their intuition, but I was wondering how persons on AT - whether they identify as more *intuitive/psychic* (remember ALL readers use their intuition, so that's just a name to say this group leans more heavily on it than others), *systems-based (Kabalah/Qabala, Astrology, Numerology, Symbology)*, *archetypal/psychological*, *traditional*, *historical*, and so on, so no fighting on this part! - respond to this...

What is your experience in developing psychic abilities with Tarot? I'm starting to go down this road and wanted to poll the collective wisdom on this subject! I just finished reading Junjulas (1985) Psychic Tarot and he adds some wonderful insights on this on pages 16-37, 96-105 while the rest is dedicated to traditional Tarot book material (card meanings, spreads, etc.). Even though this is a gem, it's also a quite small and a short book overall (pages 7-119 are the readable parts of the text). So I'm really interested in what you all have to say!

heron

Not sure I ever read the whole book, though a few years ago when I first got the Aquarian deck I certainly did a lot of work based on what Junjulas has to say, and it helped me to broaden my understanding of how to look at the images on a card in relation to a particular question and the card's position in a spread.

Are you using it with the Aquarian? It was probably one of my first half-dozen decks. Since then I have moved on to own quite a range of decks, but whenever I go back to that deck I'm impressed with the results it can give. And I recently "re-discovered" the book on a forgotten shelf and found it has a lot to say that I had forgotten about/not previously appreciated.

Sorry I have not really answered your question - which is framed in a slightly confusing (to me) way.

I started to take an interest in Astrology many many years ago - having previously thought all "occult" ideas were a load of mumbo-jumbo - studied it and was very impressed by its psychological insights into personality types. Reading around the subject led me on to Tarot, which I initially tried to learn and use more or less logically and "by the book". However, in the course of gaining Endorsement with TABI (the Tarot Assoc of the British Isles), I was encouraged to trust my intuitions about card/spread meanings and now read intuitively, using the Cookbook meanings only as an additional or backup tool. But I do not think of myself as at all psychic.

~ charles/heron/man

Probie

Actually Heron, that's kind of what I was talking about. I was cautioned that saying "intuitive" could lead to a repeat of some nasty threads that happened way before I got here because everyone uses intuition to some degree. So I had to find a way to couch things and "psychic" seemed good.

Junjalas is in the camp that everyone is psychic, not just a chosen few. And sort of by default my take was this, you don't get into Tarot reading unless you're some way drawn to it and therefore develop your abilities to some degree.

I have this workbook on developing your psychic self/abilities and has a bit in it (says the back cover, not into it yet! :)) about using "I-Ching, Tarot, and Astrology" as part of the program. Junjalas seems to be in that school too, but moving from Tarot-to-Psychic while this one is vice versa (i.e., Psychic-to-Tarot). Feels like a suspension bridge to me...

[think the Golden Gate Bridge with two main tower systems that hold the cables to suspend the weight in-between. When I was near Big Ben over 12+ years ago, I think that was a suspension bridge too]

...where you start from one point and build towards another established point while they do likewise to sustain the relationship(s). I just know I'm the first one to think about this kind of stuff and be drawn to this path, so I'm wondering what you and the collective wisdom has got to say.

What I do hear from you...

• Certain decks, like the Aquarian Tarot, are timeless friends to keep around.

• Certain books, like Junjalas (1985) Psychic Tarot, are timeless friends to keep around as well.

• These friends aren't helpful unless revisted.

yukinkoicy

I think this is a useful thread, and I really hope more people find it and respond to it - because I want to use Tarot to help me develop in that aspect, as well as many others. While that isn't my main goal, it still is something I would like to focus on. :)

Thank you for asking this! ^_^

re-pete-a

Try it and see for yourself.

Probie

re-pete-a said:
Try it and see for yourself.

Sorry, but this is in response to the initial thread post? If so, you're saying just "go for it"? I just want to be clear! :)

I do think that is where it all ends - putting truths into practice to generate experience - but I hoped persons could also share some of their wisdom as well.

chickandegg

Letting go of book meanings and following my intuition is something I'm starting to learn to do. When I'm using Tarot cards there are times when I get the strong feeling I'm "tapping into" some kind of higher real/consciousness. However, I don't think I have especially strong natural psychic abilities. Over the year I've been using Tarot I have gotten better at reading the cards, which I guess counts as having some kind of psychic experience. The book by Junjalas sounds very interesting. I'm going to look it up.

MYFIGO

Probie said:
What is your experience in developing psychic abilities with Tarot? I'm starting to go down this road and wanted to poll the collective wisdom on this subject!

I'd have to say that I came into Tarot as a result of those abilities and the desire to advance and expand them. It seems like at this moment, the time I'm putting into Tarot is worthwhile as I'm seeing improvement in understanding what I'm doing and need less book interpretations. However, I think I'm experiencing less intensity in my psychic abilities. I think it's too early to say if I'm receiving benefits from the Tarot as far as advancing my abilities.

I love the Tarot so much, but don't want to lose the other stuff either.

Jude

re-pete-a

Probie said:
Sorry, but this is in response to the initial thread post? If so, you're saying just "go for it"? I just want to be clear! :)

I do think that is where it all ends - putting truths into practice to generate experience - but I hoped persons could also share some of their wisdom as well.

Experience has taught that what is true today is not as solid tomorrow.

Truths are bits of information that suit your current ideas.

If you go into anything understanding that CHANGE is THE constant , you'll not hang so much on the truths, and use them for springboards into your next experience.

So yes, go for it , and watch how things change as you get closer .

When you first started, where you are now would have been considered a great ceiling.
Now that your there, the next step is now visable and your starting point seems so mundane.
Your limits have now changed, the FACTS are also discarded as new information reveals itself.

MYFIGO

Looking back

re-pete-a said:
When you first started, where you are now would have been considered a great ceiling.
Now that your there, the next step is now visable and your starting point seems so mundane.
Your limits have now changed, the FACTS are also discarded as new information reveals itself.

I like your statement.

Jude