What's the best approach?

pasara

A metaphysical books and gifts store in a nearby town just changed ownership. I was thinking of trying to see if the new owner was interested in having a reader (namely me!) in the store once a week (or more.) I need a little morale boost and suggestions on the best approach. Mostly I am chicken, but also just how to do it right. Once I am reading I am fine, but I am rotten at "selling myself." Advice? (Handholding?)

nisaba

<smile> Walk in, in the clohtes you would wear, with a deck in your bag. Even if you are pretty sure the person you are talking to is the owner, ask them if it would be possible to come back at a more convenient time to speak to the owner (this gives them an out if they are flustered or busy, and an in if they are the owner and have time to talk to you now.) Tell them you're a reader, tell them why you're looking for a chance to read out of their shop, ask them if they have any time-slots available (as if they had already made up their minds to have readers, whether they did or not).

Then just go on instinct.

Mellaenn

All the above plus offer to give them a reading so they can see how good you are.

Umbrae

and perhaps the most important bit of advice...

SMILE (from the eyes)

Chronata

Tell them how much you like the atmosphere in their shop too, and how you would love to add to it! Compliments go far...

Apollonia

You might want to phone first, to ask if there are any slots open for a reader, and to see if there is a good time for the owner to meet you. Just a thought, because it would be a bummer to go in all jazzed and then find the owner is out for the week, or too busy to see you or whatever. It also gives them time to think about it if they haven't considered how they would handle having a reader there, rather than just springing the idea on them.

Anyway, that's what I did, and it worked for me.

nisaba

Umbrae said:
and perhaps the most important bit of advice...

SMILE (from the eyes)
That's a given!

nisaba

Apollonia said:
You might want to phone first, to ask if there are any slots open for a reader, and to see if there is a good time for the owner to meet you. Just a thought, because it would be a bummer to go in all jazzed and then find the owner is out for the week, or too busy to see you or whatever. It also gives them time to think about it if they haven't considered how they would handle having a reader there, rather than just springing the idea on them.

Anyway, that's what I did, and it worked for me.
I still think walk in to ask for such an appointment, rather than phone. On the phone, they might be wanting the line free for the EFTPOS machine, they might have an angry customer in front of them, they might have just stapled their finger to the counter - you don't know what's going on. When you walk in, a split-second tells you if it's not a good time to make an approach, and you very quietly go to the shelves and look at their stock until thinks calm down and they're more approachable. Otherwise if you ring at a bad moment you'll get lumped in the same basket as "all those other telemarketers", hung up on, and completely forgotten.

Once you've presented yourself in a good light at a good time, is the time to ask for an appointment to talk about these things.

pasara

thank you everyone for the advice. they do not have readers now, but several months ago i know she was considering it when she took over the store officially.

where i live you would walk in, not phone. it's just that kind of place.

I've been in the store a bunch of times and have chatted with this woman, but never broached the subject (see chickensh** above) so now I feel even more shy about it. i'll get over it though

i am wondering if I go in there with some proposal or something about myself written up to leave with her??? like, should i already have thought through some ideas on how it would work, as far as our agreement. i know she would not already have ideas about this. I would not do it as an employee, but more using her space in exchange for XYZ, etc.

Also, I assume I would do a sample reading for her, but should I also bring some local references of people I have done readings for? People know people around here, so personal connections and the network created seems to be how it works...

Oh, I'm so new at this... :(

moonmorgan

Take some business cards in as well, with all your contact details on (even if you hae to knock them up on your computer yourself the day before!). Then she can even leave some by the till and gague interest if she wants before comitting, and she can always get in touch with you.

Do it Pasara, before someone else does - good luck :)