Madame Endora's - How's the cardstock?

missy

Hi all!

I have a question for those of you who use Madame Endora's Fortune Cards.

How is the cardstock? Is it sturdy or does one need to take special care with it?

For those of you who have had your Madame Endora's Fortune Cards for a few years, do you find you still use them? Do they read well for you? :)

Thanks! :D

Le Fanu

missy said:
How is the cardstock? Is it sturdy or does one need to take special care with it?
Perfect. Not too laminated and definitely sturdy without being stiff. If only all cards were like this...

Golden Moon

missy said:
Hi all!

For those of you who have had your Madame Endora's Fortune Cards for a few years, do you find you still use them? Do they read well for you? :)

They are felixable, not floppy like lewellen tarot or stiff as a wooden door. :)

missy

Thanks, LeFanu and Golden Moon. :)

I ask because some reviews on Amazon were not favorable re: the card stock. Also, I believe some archived threads here had comments re: card stock but I have to search archives.

One Amazon review states:

"The cards are slightly oversized, but shuffle easily, and appear to be made of relatively sturdy card stock. We would have preferred a slicker finish, however, to ensure their longevity."

Another states:

"My only concern is the paperstock is a little thin. One of my cards already are torn on the backside and I haven't used this deck that much to warrant that."

And another:

"Madame Endora- you rock- now if you would print these on a bit thicker card stock they would be flawless!"

I believe I also saw some AT members in archived Madame Endora threads who talked about the cardstock but I will have to search.

Is it possible that the cardstock changed from an earlier printing (I do not know if there was more than one printing) to a later one?

Is the cardstock similar to any of the MRP decks? For example, I have realized my Fantastic Menagerie is thicker than my Fairytale cardstock. Could it be compared to either of those? I only thought of those because I think of them as fairly thin, yet flexible (lovely) cardstock and I believe they will last. Also I don't consider them to be heavily varnished. Another one that comes to mind is the Circle of Life. Lo Scarabeo (LS) cardstock isn't necessarily that thick but it is sturdy, if that makes sense.

missy

Le Fanu said:
Perfect. Not too laminated and definitely sturdy without being stiff. If only all cards were like this...

This is definitely quite a positive statement, LeFanu! Thanks! :thumbsup:

missy

Some comments re cardstock I've pulled from archived Madame Endora threads:

Lillie said:
The cards themselves seem rather good quality. Quite thick, with a nice varnish, or lamination, or whatever it is. Not too shiney, not too plasticy.

Lillie also mentioned they are hard to get back into their box. Has anyone else noticed this? (I know all cards can be hard to get back into a tuckbox, but since Lillie pointed it out with this deck ...)

Lillie said:
The only problem I am having is getting them into the box. They seem a very tight fit and I worry about bending them, or mashing the edges on the bottom flap.
So, it looks like I will be making them a little box.

mingbop said:
I got mine yesterday & they are very very nice. Bit thin in the card, but so nice I don't care.

sharpchick said:
The art is very powerful, but I'm not real crazy about the cardstock - seems kind of flimsy to me, and as I expect to use this deck pretty frequently, I hope it holds up to that kind of use.

lunakasha said:
I can tell you that mine has held up extremely well, through plenty of shuffling! The only indication that it is not still new are the tiny white specks on the edges (pretty standard with black or dark borders).

Le Fanu

Maybe I've got a thicker cardstock edition. Honestly, I thought they were good. Can't speak for the box as they came in a bag (trade). No box...

missy

Le Fanu said:
Maybe I've got a thicker cardstock edition. Honestly, I thought they were good. Can't speak for the box as they came in a bag (trade). No box...

Thanks, LeFanu. I've decided. I'm buying them. :D Now if I can only decide if I want to throw in the Fantastical Creatures tarot ... (as long as it's on sale and all!)

celticnoodle

missy said:
Hi all!

good stock. nothing special required for taking care of them. I even shuffle them like playing cards--riffling.

I do love these cards, but I will admit, I do not use them enough. the reason being is that each card has it's own little meaning, and I don't have them memorized really. it shouldn't be so hard to do so, but lately, my memory is the pits! at any rate, every now and again, i am drawn to them, and when I do read them, I find them right on! they have never let me down in a reading yet. not ever!

I highly recommend these cards. they are also quite beautiful!

cardlady22

The cards are fine, but the box is rather too tight. Just like the Vargo Gothic's. Give them a new home and all will be well.