Tarot Lesson Suggestions?

Jamie_1311

I hope I'm posting in the right spot... I'm thinking about making tarot lessons on video. What I need help on is deciding if I should use the Gilded tarot along with the book for beginners to teach people or should I use the traditional Rider Waite and take a different route?

I'm open for suggestions...

Alta

Jamie_1311

Now that I think about it your probably right, I appreciate it lol

pasara

If the lessons are for someone starting from scratch, I would use the most traditional RW deck. A lot of decks are clones of this, and many books use it as the basis, so it is good place to start to get a basic understanding of common symbolism. Just my opinion.

metal_romantic

I also think the RWS would be the best. I don't know if you have already planned the content for the video, but it might be nice to show how different decks read- eg. if you showed a reading (something simple, like a 3-card spread, not for anyone in particular, just as an example) with the RWS, explained how *you* would interpret it, and then drew the same 3 cards from the Gilded, and explained how there might be differences in the interpretation due to different pictures, symbolism, feeling, energy, etc. I personally would find it very useful and interesting to see how a reader other than myself would see the differences- would it change the reading dramatically, or would it have the same overall meaning but with subtle changes? Just an idea which may or may not appeal to you :)

nisaba

I'm not fond of the RWS, but when I've taught courses in the past (and when I will teach again in the future) I use it, or very close clones (like recolourations of it). The reason being, everyone in the room is on the same page.

I also have a big festival on the very last day: I bring in my entire collection, and let everyone have a look-through, and I talk a bit about my experience of decks that seem to draw a fair bit of attention. (I have lost decks this way, too: caveat didact!)

I usually will have held a class during the course, sometimes an additional one if it only related to a few people, that I throw in for free, where people are encouraged to bring in any different decks that they might have bought or been given b efore signing up, and I give them some pointers on how to adjust to different decks, using their own deck as a living example. But for the main teaching, choose one deck and stick to it for everyone - and the RWS could have been purpose-made for just this.

divinemsm

I have put together a Tarot 101 in my home and I am allowing my students to choose their decks provided that they follow the RW system. I am not a fan of the traditional RW deck to where it makes me cringe a little. I want everyone to find a deck they bond with because I feel it will keep their interest longer.
Since you are doing video, I would advise you to use a deck as close to the RW as you can stand. If you plan on using any other decks, use ones that are mass market and readily available. I had shown my Ancestrial Path to a friend at our last meet up. She ooo'd and aaa'd over it and I felt so bad when I told her it was oop and htf....

littlestar

I would go with the RWS deck to start with and then tell students once they've mastered that or feel confident with it they can go onto other decks.
I first started out with the RWS deck and was comfortable learning with it and then i got other decks that confused me a lot until i was more confident with my reading skills.

Jamie_1311

Thanks Everyone!

I really appreciate all the suggestions from everyone, I decided I'm going to use both decks. I think the Gilded stays true to the Rider Waite tradition and the lessons in the book I feel match the Rider Waite style as well. I think it will be a nice diversity and show what is similar and what's not similar. The only difference will be the card description for the art work but same basic meaning. Thanks for everything everyone!. =)