What Crystal is this?

Briar Rose

What Crystal is this? I took 3 pictures of it.

side
close up

It is greenish-blue, and it looks like it is made up of long bars (like sticks) of Crystals that form the whole. It's a little smaller than an 'small' egg.

Attachments

• Crystal.green.blue.close.up.jpg
    Crystal.green.blue.close.up.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 125

canid

Looks like aquamarine crystals.

ETA: Too bad beryl doesn't fluoresce - I just checked. That way you'd know for sure.

Briar Rose

I am hoping so. This chunck is quite a bit of Aquamarine, if it is. But not really all that gemmy in quality, but cherish-able just the same. A treasure. No other guesses I can look into?

photokat

Briar Rose said:
I am hoping so. This chunck is quite a bit of Aquamarine, if it is. But not really all that gemmy in quality, but cherish-able just the same. A treasure. No other guesses I can look into?

Flourite would be another option .... but looks more like Aquamarine to me.

Briar Rose

yeah, it looks and feels like Aquamarine. Flourite usually has that soapy or waxy feeling to it. Thank you for the replies.

canid

What's the crystaline structure? How many sides do the crystals have? They can be worn down, but that piece looks pretty good - count the sides of the one that has the most sides, if that makes sense. Fluorite's crystaline structure is cubicle; if there are more than 4 sides on any of them, it's not fluorite. Beryl (aquamarine, emerald) has six sides, but like I said, some of them could be worn off. I have a hunk of emerald that's about 5 lbs I dug up in Michigan - it's really cool. No, it's not indiginous to that area, the previous owner was a rock hound & evidently when he died his wife dumped/buried his collection & when I started gardening I was finding the coolest rocks I was digging up everything!

Briar Rose

What a lovely pic, TarotLyn, of all the Aquamarine's.

It's truly a beautiful stone, and I love holding it, and wearing it.

photokat

Briar Rose said:
What a lovely pic, TarotLyn, of all the Aquamarine's.

It's truly a beautiful stone, and I love holding it, and wearing it.

I think what matters it that you really like the crystal - even if you don't know for certain which one it is.

(Just my opinion).

Briar Rose

I do love it. It's so beautiful I put it in the bath tonight, and I feel the colors are more prominate.

And ;) good thinking Canid, the crystals appear to have more than 4 sides, so it's Aquamarine. I can take it to the gem guy in Lenox and he what he says (sometime in the spring).

I am really happy. I was just chatting last week with a lucky charm, saying that I really wanted one of those huge chuncks of Aquamarine. Then I came ino this.

Any chance you can please post any pics Canid of your lovely treasures? I feel the pictures are so uplifting.