Organizing Question

victoria.star

Hi everyone!
I want to organize my decks...
Does anyone have suggestions as to how to go about this?
ie. Marseilles together, RWS, Oracles,

I guess I am getting stuck in
"should RWS clones with animals go with RWS?"
"should animals with fairy tale theme go with fairy tales or animals?"
"what about hard to pigeonhole (thankfully!) but where do they want to go?"

thank you :heart:

rwcarter

That works when you only have a few decks or unlimited space. :D I started out grouping my decks by "theme" (Marseilles, ethnicity, RWS, etc). I have so many decks now and so little space that it's all about cramming as much stuff into the available space as I can. So, while there is some organization by theme, these days most of the decks are arranged by size of the box.

Rodney

cardlady22

Mine changes according to whim since my space is wonky with regular books, etc. Need to get another tall bookshelf.

I have general themes together in the 4x6 index card boxes (average 7-8 decks per box) & switch them out in a windowsill when I'm working with those themes. Then I realize that such-and-such really isn't in their class & dig through the others to transplant.

ETA: I just got a mental image of what I must look like when I'm bent over, half-upside-down in the large tub, or the under-the-counter cabinet. :bugeyed:

Dusk Till Dawn

Well I had the same question a while ago, I did it as follows:
Lo Scarabeo own space, them sorted, Historical, Dark ( Vampire), Fun ( Fey etc.)
Then Self Published together, then RWS and Rws alike and Toth ailikes together.
Then I have a space for old OOP, like Karma, Ukiyoe etc.
I ended up with a lot of drawers. ( you can view them on Myspace in my Picture, CARDS)
Not perfect, but works for me.

victoria.star

I am laughing! :D Just cause it is a conundrum, isn't it?

For now, I opted for putting them together in a (pseudo) system that seemed right a half-hour ago and then--

cramming them where they would fit! argh!

glad to know i am not the only one :)

cardlady22

Playing around with their physical-space arrangements is just as fun as using the decks. :p

The decks that have special bags are on the shelf & they get arranged based on fabric & how not to slide off! })

Companion books have their own section/shelf & are arranged according to size/height.

victoria.star

I have a nice hinged wooden trunk from my dad. I don't know why it has taken me so long to actually make the best use of space in it...or if today everything is smaller...now my Tarot Bookshelf will be more streamlined and calming to the eye...I am trying to do this so only Ironwing is out and buzzin' in my ears! (Don't worry, Diary, I can still hear you!)

kittiann

I have a basket that fits five rows of decks. So I went with an historical row, a 'history of the occult' row, a GD/Thoth row, a RWS clone row, and a shamanic/non-traditional tarot row. Each of my decks is housed in a matching fabric bag, so the outcome looks quite nice :)

gregory

I do mine by order of acquisition. It means I can find them; it also means I don't have to move them all around when - for instance - the WS shelf is full and so on..... That would be such a pain.....

The only area where this varies is that big sets are on bookshelves - making like books ! and decks alone are in drawers. (and let's face it, pretty wooden boxes are out on surfaces where I can see them !)

Morwenna

My small collection is housed where the boxes fit. They live in 3 nearly cubical cardboard boxes, except for the half-dozen in a tote bag with other divination materials. I did go so far recently as to divvy the boxes up by how much I like the decks...