PDA

View Full Version : My emergency crystal kit

Le Fanu
06-02-2010, 03:55
I have in my drawer at work an "essential crystals" pouch. I wanted to put in a nice mix of 7 crystals (magical number, chakras etc) which might be useful - if the need arises - for work-related issues. You know the kind of things; personality clashes, sh*t hitting fan, pressure, anxiety, all these kinds of things.

In my bag I have tumblestones of;

Onyx
Jasper
Green Quartz
Clear Quartz
Smokey Quartz
Amethyst
Citrine

My question is; do I have a good mix here? Are there any stones here which shouldn't go together? Ideally, it would be nice to have a stone which recharges others. Do any of these stones do this?

I'm also keen to hear if any of you have emergency crystal pouches hidden away close at hand in secret drawers :)...

canid
06-02-2010, 04:30
I was really curious about the green quartz - never heard of it. Maybe it exists in nature, but I'm not sure. Check this out - scroll towards the bottom.

http://www.the-vug.com/vug/vugfakes.html#citrine

cardlady22
06-02-2010, 05:10
Mentally and aesthetically, I like to use small quartz points to grid around a stone when I do a charge or intent. A minimum of 4 and the placement directs the energy flow.

Your set looks fine, except for maybe getting a different for the Green. Numerically, I get drawn to a set of 13. (12 plus a clear quartz) A specimen from each Color Ray/Zodiac Sign. :P Wheel of the Year maybe?

photokat
06-02-2010, 06:40
Oh, I would need my Moqui Marbles .... and Orange Calcite (very inexpensive but effective).
But then again, that's me.
Oh, and Moldavite, of course ; )

cardlady22
06-02-2010, 06:58
Calcite is wonderful- especially with all the delicious colors!

Le Fanu
06-02-2010, 08:05
That's what I like to see; enabling in action! There's room in the bag for more!

Those Green Quartz look really fake. Mine are more this (http://medievalmystic.com/store/images/62203%5B1%5D.jpg) type. I think it might be aventurine; not sure if they're the same thing. Plus shops label things wrongly, which doesn't help. I bought a stone from the same tub and it was marked Green Quartz but I could swear it's aventurine...

I have a beautiful Calcite, but it isn't tumbled and could chip or scratch.

I need to get more Moqui marbles. I only have one right now; a lone, pining female, but I think I may have located where to find more...

I have lots of crystals at home but only like to double up at work what I already have at home. These are all duplicates. I like that 12/Zodiac + a crystal/ Wheel of the Year etc!

Moldovite? How might that help me?

So no stones here which cancel others out then? And anyone know an automatic charger which means I don't have to keep taking them home and putting them all in the moonlight?

LeaRoseQuartz
06-02-2010, 09:28
Crystal quartz and citrine are both used for clearing other crystals. Those two never need cleansing themselves. Having one or both in your bag, will work nicely.

lark
06-02-2010, 12:44
That is a nice mix..I think you need something blue though.
A nice Blue Lace Agate would be a good addition....it is a very calming stone good for stress, especially in a work enviroment.

Le Fanu
07-02-2010, 06:30
Thanks to cardlady, I've upped the stakes! :D

Yes, I think I shall go for 12 stones now. I went out for a coffee this afternoon and stumbled upon an esoteric fair and bought hawk's eye & hematite. So that totals 9 stones. Plus - thank you lark :* - I should add a blue agate which makes ten. Plus Moldavite makes eleven.

just need one more... :)

Any suggestions?

lark
07-02-2010, 07:08
I don't know how you feel about pink stones, but a rose quartz has a happy feel good 'tub of love' kind of energy to it, and is a good addition to any crystal kit

Zelmira
07-02-2010, 07:32
There is blue calcite, very pretty and inexpensive. That helps you communicate your ideas well. I would also add a piece of amber or fire agate either will protect you of any negative vibes been sent your way. Peace,
Zelmira

cardlady22
07-02-2010, 13:19
rhodonite (dark pink and black) comes to mind too!

Stormdancer
07-02-2010, 13:43
I'm gonna echo some thoughts already posted here, but I'm not quoting.

anyway...i think the smokey quartz and obsidian provide the same properties. I would take out the smokey quartz. I LOVE hemetite, but it is the same as the 2 above for me with an added kick. I agree that a ROSE quartz is needed, as well as BLUE...either Lapis or the lace agate...or maybe sodalite. Your "green quartz" does indeed look like adventurine, but I prefer Malachite....and being from the western US...Turquoise is a requisite. I LOVE amber...and like to pair it with jet, which seems to be difficult for me to find, but then, those aren't really "stones".

I like this thread, since I have a small bog of stones in my purse at all times...and with the CRAP at work, i am always trying to figure out which stones will serve me best.

Le Fanu
08-02-2010, 00:11
I like this thread, since I have a small bog of stones in my purse at all times...and with the CRAP at work, i am always trying to figure out which stones will serve me best.
Great suggestions everyone! And quite apart from the stones having a particular function they also have to - let's face it - look good together.

I have no idea why but rose quartz and pale amethyst are just not my colours. I love pink and can happily wear pink but for some reason pale pink stones just turn me off.

Having checked out Moldavite, I realise it's quite expensive, so might have to pass on that one.

Blue Agate definitely. Maybe blue calcite too. What an exciting project this is!

I've also noticed I am drawn towards stones which have transparency. That's why I bought the smokey quartz. Plus I love citrine. Lapis Lazuli would be great. My local shop said they'd be getting in some lapis lazuli later this month. Oh and stormdancer, I don't have obsidian. Were you thinking of onyx?

I also love Tektite/ meteorite. No great properties I guess r.e work, but I love handling it as a worry stone.

*still thinking*

Love the suggestions! Making me research stones!

Stormdancer
08-02-2010, 00:23
Oh and stormdancer, I don't have obsidian. Were you thinking of onyx?

Well GEEZ, they both start with "O"...what's the problem? :D

Just kidding...M'bad, and yes I meant Onyx.

Now that you've started this thread, I may make a trip to my local shop to see what appeals

Thanks for the enabling...LOL :joke:

Le Fanu
08-02-2010, 02:28
By the way - and before you go to the new age shop to check out the crystals, I have to thank cardlady for the rhodonite tip. I've been researching it and see that it has very interesting qualities for a work environment-based crystal bag.

Check this out; ability to show both sides of an issue, heals emotional shock and panic (V useful at work!), has a strong resonance with forgiveness, it helps in taking back projections of blame, turns back insults, prevents retaliations and promotes calm in dangerous or upsetting situations, plus builds up confidence and avoids confusions.

(adapted from the Crystal Bible)

All good properties to have at hand at work! Plus it's not really pink at all!

morticia monroe
08-02-2010, 02:49
Fanu, don't forget that sometimes a good way to choose your crystals for the day is just to trot them all out and see which ones stick their hands up and scream "ME!!!" That's what I do. :)

With that said, I recommend a pretty moonstone. (Not rainbow moonstone, as it is a feldspar family relation, more like labradorite and wonderful in its own way, but I'm talking moonstone :)) Like quartz, I find that they are very versatile stones and great for keeping you "above it all" when you want to be.

cardlady22
08-02-2010, 03:05
I had a feeling that one might grab you more than rose quartz. :grin:
To me, rose quartz is more like family time. Going home and snuggling up with mommy. And it can get a bit "too sweet" after a while ~ gives me a feeling like a toddler who's had enough and wants to go play now.

I own quite a variety of crystal/gem references & like each of them for their specific strengths, but for quick access (to jump-start a search through the others that do have properties and photos):

The Seven Secrets of Crystal Talismans
by Henry M. Mason
2008, Llewellyn
ISBN: 978-0-7387-1144-7

The book has no photos, but you can look up chart listings based on the categories. There are tables with color variations that let you scan through each. For instance, your stated purpose made me think Barrier talisman. I flipped to Table 5 and scanned over the Scarlet to Lavendar color rays. I popped over into Appendix 2 (lists stones by alphabetical name) to see that rhodonite is also categorized a Harmonizer.

Like all books, the ultimate test is going and picking up an actual crystal or stone to see for yourself. If you don't feel it, check something else.

Le Fanu
08-02-2010, 03:09
Fanu, don't forget that sometimes a good way to choose your crystals for the day is just to trot them all out and see which ones stick their hands up and scream "ME!!!" That's what I do. :)

With that said, I recommend a pretty moonstone. (Not rainbow moonstone, as it is a feldspar family relation, more like labradorite and wonderful in its own way, but I'm talking moonstone :)) Like quartz, I find that they are very versatile stones and great for keeping you "above it all" when you want to be.
I do this too! On days when I am wearing a shirt that has a breast pocket is the day I do this, so the stone is by my heart all day.

I also think that there are stones which we are drawn to whatever the day. I find this with citrines. There isn't a day goes by when citrine isn't right somehow. But maybe this is to do with the tactile quality of a particular tumblestone we have. I only buy stones online if they are particular shapes - i.e eggs, wands, balls - etc. For tumblestones, I really have to pick by hand. Some shapes just don't do it for me and I don't know why!

Funny - I have to confess - I'm not massively drawn to moonstone, but I am drawn to onyx, obsidian, hematite is there a male/female thing going on here I wonder?

cardlady22
08-02-2010, 03:29
Some shapes just don't do it for me and I don't know why!There's another fun research project here, Le Fanu! Look up some lore associated with shapes or different solids and see what comes up. It always fascinates me to see what I needed when.

Stormdancer
08-02-2010, 03:39
By the way - and before you go to the new age shop to check out the crystals, I have to thank cardlady for the rhodonite tip. I've been researching it and see that it has very interesting qualities for a work environment-based crystal bag.

Check this out; ability to show both sides of an issue, heals emotional shock and panic (V useful at work!), has a strong resonance with forgiveness, it helps in taking back projections of blame, turns back insults, prevents retaliations and promotes calm in dangerous or upsetting situations, plus builds up confidence and avoids confusions.

(adapted from the Crystal Bible)

All good properties to have at hand at work! Plus it's not really pink at all!

I think I have one of these....wonder where it is...

Le Fanu
08-02-2010, 03:41
I find that I am drawn to flat-ish, relatively thin stones. the kind of size which it is comforting to hold between thumb and forefinger and with enough surface to see the texture of the stone without it being big and heavy.

That or quite roundish ones. Nothing assymetrical! And I really don't like those tumblestones which are cubed!

Essjay
08-02-2010, 04:39
Has anyone mentioned carnelian yet? It's a great sociable stone - could be good for work although it is about change too, so that may not be what you're after.

Le Fanu
08-02-2010, 06:03
Has anyone mentioned carnelian yet? It's a great sociable stone - could be good for work although it is about change too, so that may not be what you're after.
mmm... "a powerful protector against anger, rage and resentment." Sounds good. how many can I feasibly haul around with me? LOL

Essjay
08-02-2010, 06:26
mmm... "a powerful protector against anger, rage and resentment." Sounds good. how many can I feasibly haul around with me? LOL

Good point, carnelian is the one I always have along with red tigers eye and green aventurine - great combo for (my) work!

:)

Le Fanu
08-02-2010, 07:54
OK, if I manage to get up early tomorow, i.e before 11 a.m :D I shall call by the rock shop and see if they have;

Blue Agate
Rhodonite
Carnelian
Maybe Tektite

That would total 12 plus the quartz

Coz it's going to be a helluva week at work and I shall need all the worry stones I can lay my hands on!

Sonic
08-02-2010, 09:09
This unique little shop has crystals and various rocks dirt cheap:

American Science & Surplus (http://www.sciplus.com/search.cfm?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=search&utm_content=cf&utm_campaign=celsearchtest&formfield1234567891=163&formfield1234567892=12&formfield1234567894=&term=rose+quartz&btnHand.x=0&btnHand.y=0)

Grizabella
08-02-2010, 11:11
Le Fanu, labradorite might be a little more on the masculine side for you than moonstone although they're closely related.

And I wanted to add that clear crystal might be better in a pants pocket than in the pocket near your heart. The Cherokee always keep a clear quartz either above or below the heart but not near it. I don't know why, but I read that in one of the books about Native American uses of crystals.

Le Fanu
08-02-2010, 11:34
Le Fanu, labradorite might be a little more on the masculine side for you than moonstone although they're closely related.

And I wanted to add that clear crystal might be better in a pants pocket than in the pocket near your heart. The Cherokee always keep a clear quartz either above or below the heart but not near it. I don't know why, but I read that in one of the books about Native American uses of crystals.
Wow! Fascinating. I didn't know Labradorite & Moonstone were related. Nor did I know that about crystals near the heart.

I'm learning so much with this thread!

cardlady22
08-02-2010, 13:31
There are types of "moonstone" ~
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonstone_%28gemstone%29

http://www.galleries.com/minerals/silicate/oligocla/oligocla.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthoclase *scroll down to read about "rainbow moonstone"

http://www.galleries.com/minerals/silicate/orthocla/orthocla.htm

photokat
08-02-2010, 15:46
Don't worry about not getting the Moldavite - definitely something you can skip for your "Emergency" Kit, as Moldavite may cause emergencies rather than fixing them! Ha.

Le Fanu
09-02-2010, 03:49
Well I got up early! 10 a.m (unheard of!), called in at the crystal shop and bought;

Rhodonite
Carnelian
and type of Tiger's Eye called (translated) Bull's Eye (?) Like a redish/burgundy Tiger's Eye but with a kind of sheen of Hematite on one side. I just loved it and so I bought it!
Solodite

Very happy with my purchases. So that makes 12 stones plus a Quartz Crystal. I shall need all the touchstones I can get this week. Tough week at work!

cardlady22
09-02-2010, 04:38
a type of Tiger's Eye called (translated) Bull's Eye (?) Like a reddish/burgundy Tiger's Eye but with a kind of sheen of Hematite on one side.Yes! Sounds like a lovely specimen showing some of the ore. Look up Tiger Iron to see if it resembles your stone.
ETA: This (http://www.allaboutgemstones.com/semi-precious_gems_tigers_eye.html) shows a good sampling of the various color shades.

Sodalite ~ darker blue with veins of white? If so, this is another of my favorites!

Le Fanu
09-02-2010, 08:28
Yes! Sounds like a lovely specimen showing some of the oreYes! the picture in your link has one very similar; that largish, round, red-ish one. Mine has that colour, but - like I say - it has a beautiful hematite sheen on one side. So it's a type of Tiger Eye then? That categorisation is fine by me seeing as I don't have a "proper" tiger's eye in my pouch...

Yes, the sodalite (not solodite; what was I thinking of?) is a lovely blue with white veins.

The carnelian is a little on the orange side with nice litle veins, like arteries...

I'm very pleased with my selection. I've checked out all the meanings and it's a great selection. Balanced, I think. I've taken it home as I want to look and feel and enjoy the stones alone for a while. On the way home I found myself thinking "what if I had a beautiful custom-made Sulis bag..." Black velvet. The pouch they're in now isn't - well - sumptuous enough for my treasures... })

cardlady22
09-02-2010, 08:43
More like this (http://www.raresplendors.com/tiger-iron-bolo-bola-4.htm) cabochon, right?

ETA: Did you mention what type/color your jasper is?

Le Fanu
09-02-2010, 10:16
ETA: Did you mention what type/color your jasper is?
Judging by the pictures in my book I think it is a brecciated (?) jasper, but tumbled. Is that right? The jasper which is red but with marbled bits of white? I haven't quite got the terminology off yet, but when she sold it to me she wrote the name in Portuguese and it looked like "brecciated" when I was looking in my book...

That pic you posted is similar in colour to my "Bull's Eye" (again, translated :D) but much more perfect in the colouring than mine... Mine has distinct silky lines of the sort you get in Tiger's Eye.

A whole new universe opens up to me...

cardlady22
09-02-2010, 10:23
chatoyancy is the term by which I know that effect.

Stones and their lore was my kickstart into the metaphysical. Interesting to think that I'm here due to a project for Christmas and high school graduation gifts. Speaking of which, one of the grad gifts was carnelian & moonstone- the kind that doesn't have the special effects. She was a Scorpio who had been more than a bit dominated by a Sagittarius mother.

ETA: Your hawk's eye is grey/blue, correct?

Le Fanu's Kit:
onyx
jasper
green quartz
clear quartz
smokey quartz
amethyst
citrine
hawk's eye
hematite
rhodonite
carnelian
sodalite
red tigereye/iron

Is that correct?

Stormdancer
09-02-2010, 12:07
chatoyancy is the term by which I know that effect.

Stones and their lore was my kickstart into the metaphysical. Interesting to think that I'm here due to a project for Christmas and high school graduation gifts. Speaking of which, one of the grad gifts was carnelian & moonstone- the kind that doesn't have the special effects. She was a Scorpio who had been more than a bit dominated by a Sagittarius mother.

ETA: Your hawk's eye is grey/blue, correct?

Le Fanu's Kit:
onyx
jasper
green quartz
clear quartz
smokey quartz
amethyst
citrine
hawk's eye
hematite
rhodonite
carnelian
sodalite
red tigereye/iron

Is that correct?
My thought is that the GREEN quartz is really Adventurine

Stormdancer
09-02-2010, 12:26
Stones and their lore was my kickstart into the metaphysical.

I grew up in Golden Colorado where my Dad was a professor at the Co school of mines....they had a GREAT rock musuem, go figure? LOL :joke: I have ALWAYS loved rocks. I can't tell you how many rocks I've busted open hoping for a Geode. You'll never believe how I finally found one.

I WUB rocks :heart:

cardlady22
09-02-2010, 12:41
Dye and heat treatments are really widespread, especially in these large dishes or bins where you can pick through for the tumbled stone you want. I used to get catalogs from a wholesale company called Craftstones. You could specify whether you wanted a dyed mix (more vibrant colors) or natural. Even specifications of general size.

An older one from 2000 or so notes its green quartz as coming from Zimbabwe or Brazil. Prasiolite is heat-treated amethyst. Then there's the obviously dyed quartz where the dye gets kind of trickled into any cracks/flaws.

Le Fanu
11-02-2010, 10:35
Le Fanu's Kit:
onyx
jasper
green quartz
clear quartz
smokey quartz
amethyst
citrine
hawk's eye
hematite
rhodonite
carnelian
sodalite
red tigereye/iron

Is that correct?
Yep! Sorry, I have been busy last few days. A few posts in tarot decks then had to - can you believe it? - work. That's my kit. And yes my Hawk's eye is very dark grey/black with a silvery sheen and a brown dot on one edge. Very pleased with my little set and, weirdly, came across a lovely little leather pouch which holds them all perfectly.

And an observation a few days on. Of all the stones, the one I feel least connection with is the Rhodonite. Funny. But it's all phases. We'll see...

And the one I like most is hematite. The green quartz is a funny one. It is quite crystally/transparent with green sediment inside. Looks fake. I wonder if it is resin or something :D