Archetypes

Ambience

I've been listening and watching alot of caroline myss work lately and learning about archetypes. I am wanting to get the archetype tarot by her, but i looked at the pictures online and i didn't think they were all that great.

I just wondered if anyone has this deck and whether it's better in person than in the photos?

Thanks,
Love Ambience

Alta

Hi Ambience,

I have the deck and think that it is pretty useless. And, I have read and even studied two of her books and gotten a lot out of them.

It is a huge deck, 74 cards printed on thick unfriendly paper. The art is not inspiring either. I think it likely grew out of her book Sacred Contracts as a way of making money but having read, even studied, the book there is no effective way to use the cards. They are not an oracle, as such. They are meant to illustrate the book's concepts but in the book you gradually work your way through the archetypes until you come up with your own. You don't just draw cards and etc.

You could have my copy but it would cost more to mail it to you than it is worth.

Alta

ETA: I vaguely recall someone posting that they used the cards to help them writing some fiction, to come up with motivations (if I recall correctly)

Ambience

Thanks Alta,

I listened to a seminar recording and it said they can be used to cast your chart to find out what spread you are. I'll have a look at the link you posted.

I appreciate your help,
Glad i didn't buy them though for the £10.00 they cost, i think i could get something better.

Love Ambience x

ncharge

I only use the deck for pathworking. A psychologist showed my friend how to use the deck for that. I don't think it is a useful tool for general meditations.

Zelmira

Hi Ambience:
I have the Archetype Cards and I like them very much, but they are not properly a tarot and I don't even think her intention was to create an oracle. Each card provides you with the characteristics of each archetype in light/shadow modalities. If you are doing shadow work for yourself or helping someone, this is a good tool. This is more a tool for self development than for divination. On the other hand if you want to be aware of what type of people surround you it it good to pull one of these cards everyday or on special ocassions so you have an idea of what type of person you may be dealing with. It is true that the art is simple, but I think the intention of this deck does not need to have a lot of symbols and the like. I hope this helps you decide whether to get it or not. Peace,
Zelmira

Ambience

Thankyou

I bought the cards- felt abit cheated that the last six were not filled out- but i think i am supposed to do these myself. I pulled cards on what kind of archetype i am embracing at the moment and the results were highly accurate- it gave me something to think about throughout the day. I do think that the light /dark is good and i have been listening to alot of the corresponding material so it was of interest, although i can see they are not tarot at all, and not really oracle. I will look into further use. Thanks ncharge and Zelmira.

Zelmira

Ambience:
I am glad you are getting to like your archetype cards. If you read the book Sacred Contracts by the author, you probably will find more uses to the cards. Peace,
Zelmira

AJ

I got them in trade last summer and haven't used them because I haven't figured out a good way to do so that would relate to me and the ways I do things.

There are probably a lot better ways to spend you money unless you are already somewhat of a fan of Myss.

Chronata

I love these cards. I used them for all sorts of things.

I have done pathworking, and the archetype wheel chart for me and all my family.

I use them in tandem with the Phoenix cards for past life readings.

I use them for oracle readings, to discover where someone's hidden talent may lie, or where they should seek employment opportunities.

Last summer, I taught a class on puppetry where we used the cards to give personalities to the hand made puppets, and the rest had to guess what archetype they were trying to convey.

Every year, I find a new use for them!