Cloths?

twinmom

In the book that came with my Tarot cards it say as special cloth an be used to lay the cards on. Wondering if anyone does this? If so what kind of cloth do you use?
It also takes about crystals, prayers(I don't pray), candles and incense.

I know zip about crystals. Not sure how they would play into the reading of the cards, along with the other things. Any insight would be wonderful.

Dianna

NorthernTigress

twinmom said:
In the book that came with my Tarot cards it say as special cloth an be used to lay the cards on. Wondering if anyone does this? If so what kind of cloth do you use?
It also takes about crystals, prayers(I don't pray), candles and incense.

I know zip about crystals. Not sure how they would play into the reading of the cards, along with the other things. Any insight would be wonderful.

Dianna

Consider everything involved in reading Tarot, except the cards themselves, to be optional. I have a "spreadcloth" that I sewed myself. It is green velvet on one side, and patterned quilted fabric on the other. Sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't -- it all depends on mood.

Some people perform rituals before they begin a reading, whether it is praying, asking the cards for their "help", creating a "protective shield" or just "centering yourself". Again, all of those are optional. As long as you are calm and focused, you are ready to begin.

Crystals are completely different from Tarot, in my opinion. If you want to learn more about them, go ahead. But it isn't necessary.

twinmom

I could see a cloth be nice to help keep the cards nice, so say if at a table nothing gets on them.
What I did last night and today was in my journal wrote down the question I had and as I shuffled the cards when over and over that question till I was done with shuffling them.

No really no interest in crystals, was just trying to make a connection since it was mentioned in the books.

BeyondtheVeil

I agree with NorthernTigress. Some people, especially the newbies, think they need to follow some ritual or pattern. Some just have always done that, so they continue. It really is up to YOU on what you want to do. I also used to have a spreadcloth when I first started reading Tarot. I don't use one now. Instead I lay them on the bed, my lap, the table, a book, etc. I do say a "prayer/blessing" before the reading, but this isn't necessary. I just "choose" to do it. You will probably get lots of answers on things to do from crystals, spreadclothes, "cleansing", etc. Just take what you want & what works for you. Leave the rest. :)

Enjoy!
BeyondtheVeil

canid

I usually just use my bed or computer table. If I'm out I might use a spread cloth - I collect silk scarves at GoodWill, some of them are quite beautiful. Always good to make a bag out of too. For some reason, I use a silk cloth to wrap my Sibilla cards in, tho, before going in the bag.

twinmom

I am mostly at my computer desk b/c I am using an online journal to keep track of what cards I am getting, what I am reading from them. So easiest to sit here.
Maybe I will have to be on the look out for something beautiful for a spread cloth as I think that would be nice to have.

I look forward to all the different responses I may get.

gregory

I use whatever I am near. Coffee table, sofa, carpet.... Single card reading on my knee....

You do what feels right for you. The people who write books can only tell you what is right for THEM !

twinmom

gregory said:
You do what feels right for you. The people who write books can only tell you what is right for THEM !

Very true!

Aerin

gregory said:
I use whatever I am near. Coffee table, sofa, carpet.... Single card reading on my knee....

This is what I do too. I am someone who is not very aware of surroundings though, I spend a lot of time in my head. Someone who is very aware may feel differently.

strings of life

gregory said:

Agreed.

It depends on what you are comfortable with. If you feel that you need a cloth, use it. Just remember that it isn't a requirement; there aren't any.

I tends to do my readings or bond with my cards at the end of the day, before bed. This means that cards are often drawn on my bed, with a cat by my side. Or, I'll pull cards at table or on the floor (with a spread cloth) just go keep the cards clean.

Go with it. The cards don't care, only you do.