the influence of asteroids in our charts

perseph

I have been doing some work with astrology lately and am really a beginner when it comes to serious study. I've just discovered I have Juno and Pallas conjunct in Gemini in the twelth house and Vesta in Capricorn in the eighth. I have no idea what to make of this and will be trying to find something to read that could help. One thing I have heard said is that the asteroids are connected more to our personal fate.....whatever that could mean. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? :)

Astraea

Hi, perseph! There are literally thousands of asteroids, each one (as it is discovered) assigned a name and/or number -- it would be impossible to utilize each one in horoscopes, so many astrologers prefer to focus the influence of the asteroid belt through a basic four: Pallas Athena, Vesta, Ceres and Juno.

Asteroids seem to modify planetary energy in very specific ways (much as tarot card meanings can be amplified by additional draws), and some people have speculated that their influence is fateful. Theories abound. A good introductory book on the subject is Asteroid Goddesses by Demetra George.

If you are just beginning your astrological studies, my suggestion would be to establish a solid foundation of understanding by working with planets, signs, houses and aspects; initially, the addition of extraplanetary influences can clouds issues, instead of clarifying them.

Many experienced astrologers prefer not to use asteroids at all, and others swear by them. This is yet another area in which one needs to keep an open mind, and experiment with many charts.

isthmus nekoi

I agree w/what Astrea has said. Make sure you have a good grasp of the basics.

I've yet to read much about the asteroids in books, but Bob Marks has some general info on them, check out his astrology lessons: http://www.bobmarksastrologer.com/

perseph

Thanks for your replies Aseraea and Isthmus.I have been trying to track down the book on asteroids and goddesses that you mentioned. It's been recommended by a few people as one of the best but unfortunately its also out of print. I am aware there are different views about the significance and influences of asteroids and I am keeping an open mind. I thought one way of assessing their effects was to look at them in my own chart and see if anything holds from my purely personal perspective. I did look at the Bob Marks site and it was interesting but general as you said. Anyway thanks for the replies and now I'm just waiting for a copy of the Dimetra George book to manifest on a bookshelf in a second hand book shop somewhere soon.

Astraea

Out-of-print

Perseph, I didn't realize that this book was out-of-print, and don't know how that could have happened -- many people are interested in asteroids, and Demetra George is so well-known for her work in that area. I certainly hope that a second-hand copy finds you very soon. I know that you live in Australia, but I'll still keep an eye out for the book over here.

skytwig

Thanks for the info, Isthmus. After whamming the pop ups, I found Bob Marks site to be informative. I am a newbie to the whole planet thing, have found it a bit overwhelming, but have come to that point where i need to just get down to business and learn it!

isthmus nekoi

hey, you're very welcome! Yeah, I hear you about the info overload. When that happens, I like to work from big to small. Elements/qualities first, then planets/signs, then houses, then aspects etc. Good luck w/everything.

jmd

Demetra George mentioned that her Asteroid Goddesses is being reprinted later this year by Nicholas Hayes Imprint...

Just thought I'd mention it.

Personally, I tend not to use Asteroids in chart constructions, but can see how this is fast becoming common (especially with the assistance of software).

Minderwiz

Yes, I agree that it is the all pervading software that generates this upsurge. It may be that asteroids and others have some distinct effect but in order to use them its necessary to have ephemerides for them and these are not easily obtained, except through computer programs.

Moreover they make the chart far more complex in terms of reading by sign, aspect and house. This probably muddies things rather than adding any clarity or further knowledge - unless you are skilled in the basics.

I don't use asteroids when I do chart interpretations. I might use them for a highly focussed reading on a particular issue or area of life where I am looking for factors that flesh out or confirm the basic reading but I would never dream of using them as part of a basic reading.

Astraea

Another good book about asteroids

Perseph (and others interested in studying asteroids astrologically) -- I just thought of another good book, and this one is in print: The Ultimate Asteroid Book by Lee Lehman. Dr. Lehman is an excellent astrologer and writer.